Preds and playoffs

I am concerned for the Preds right now and thier playoff possibilities....We have lost Erat, Hartnell, Sullivan and replaced them with Abid, Peverly and the defenseman of your choice playing some forward. Not good..... In addition, teams enter our zone much too easily and our PP is not efficient at this moment.... Add it to our musical goalie situation and thinks appear to be a litle ragged at the moment.

Hopefully, hartnell and Sully will return in time to play a couple before the playoffs begin.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With you on this- we seem to be limping into the playoffs rather than streaking into them with some momentum. I really don't understand about Sully's injury- back spasms that have kept him out for almost a month? Is it that or, in classic NHL talk, an upper body injury which could mean instead of back spasms he's got compacted vertebrae and can't wak.

Two things that worry me. Despite the addition of some seasoned veterans this year, we have a roster largely made up of people who haven't been past the first round of the playoffs. And second, the goal tending situation. I think it might go best to go with Mason, as Tomas V. is not showing me much.

QUOTE(fromthetop2 @ Mar 27 2007 - 01:40 PM) 826424100[/snapback]With you on this- we seem to be limping into the playoffs rather than streaking into them with some momentum. I really don't understand about Sully's injury- back spasms that have kept him out for almost a month? Is it that or, in classic NHL talk, an upper body injury which could mean instead of back spasms he's got compacted vertebrae and can't wak.

Two things that worry me. Despite the addition of some seasoned veterans this year, we have a roster largely made up of people who haven't been past the first round of the playoffs. And second, the goal tending situation. I think it might go best to go with Mason, as Tomas V. is not showing me much.

What I have heard is Sully has a herniated disc.... And it flares up from time to time...And now has flared up....He actually needs surgery...My wife had this and some days she was fine and could play softball but other days she could not because of pain.

The TV VS Mason senario.... Hmmm.....TV has not been the TV of old and I believe we are gonna need exceptional goaltending to win. Trotz will probably need to play them both.... Carolina did just that and rode one goalie then the other all the way to the Stanley cup. Hartnell is skating. Nichol is skating. Sully may need to gut it out, reduce his minutes and possibly play during power plays. When we lost Erat...a key, imo.... he brought the puck in the zone many times, especially on the PP.... Now, we just dump and chase. Arrgh....

Defensively, we can be good, but I don't like the way we are allowing teams to get the puck in our zone...too easy.... And too many times being attacked from the liddle of the ice...Too many offensive options. can't use the boards as a defenseman.

To me, we have three stars on our team.... Kariya, Arnott and Foppa....Good roll players in Dumont and an exciting, but inconsistant Rads. Leggy has disappeared on the 3rd line, but there isn't much there right now. He is not a grinder. After that, imo, the cupboard is a little thin at forward. I love Weber, he is a stud and we are probably going to need some scoring out of him.... But the key to a long playoff run with the team we have now is Zids... The guy has offense, but wow, where is he???? He has got to make some of those moves he has that electrifies the crowd....He has got to score some.

We may witness a different strategy in the playoffs.... More defense, less offense, win 3-2, 2-1 and in OT....But good goaltending is a must.

Just remember it's not where you start, it's where you finish. Remember, last year Detroit went into the playoffs winning 20 of their last 23 games, while Edmonton had lost 4 of their last 5. What happened? Edmonton dominates the series in 6 games and goes onto the cup finals. Now that they've clinched, the Preds' main focus is to get healthy. They can't have Forsberg and Kariya grind it out every shift, and they certainly can't afford to lose anyone else. Think about it though, wht a perfect chance to show everyone you're for real. You're missing several key guys on your team and you can still compete against the healthier teams. The good teams have depth, so if the Preds can keep up the hot play, they will gain some respect around the league. Go ahead and quote me on this: The goaltending duties will go to Vokoun. He's been the backbone of the team since Dunny left, but has never really gotten his chance to step up. He's looking pretty good tonight, and the last few weeks he's really stepped up his play. Mason had his chance last year, and couldn't step it up. It wasn't all his fault, as they had some injury problems, but Vokoun has shown that he can perform in the clutch, and that's why Trotzy will hand him the helmet for the first round.

Actually, just heard that Timonen left the game with an upper-body injury. If this is anything serious, the Preds are really gonna have to step it up.

QUOTE(CHS 2007 @ Mar 27 2007 - 09:10 PM) 826424421[/snapback]Just remember it's not where you start, it's where you finish. Remember, last year Detroit went into the playoffs winning 20 of their last 23 games, while Edmonton had lost 4 of their last 5. What happened? Edmonton dominates the series in 6 games and goes onto the cup finals. Now that they've clinched, the Preds' main focus is to get healthy. They can't have Forsberg and Kariya grind it out every shift, and they certainly can't afford to lose anyone else. Think about it though, wht a perfect chance to show everyone you're for real. You're missing several key guys on your team and you can still compete against the healthier teams. The good teams have depth, so if the Preds can keep up the hot play, they will gain some respect around the league. Go ahead and quote me on this: The goaltending duties will go to Vokoun. He's been the backbone of the team since Dunny left, but has never really gotten his chance to step up. He's looking pretty good tonight, and the last few weeks he's really stepped up his play. Mason had his chance last year, and couldn't step it up. It wasn't all his fault, as they had some injury problems, but Vokoun has shown that he can perform in the clutch, and that's why Trotzy will hand him the helmet for the first round.

Actually, just heard that Timonen left the game with an upper-body injury. If this is anything serious, the Preds are really gonna have to step it up.

Sorry, but TV allowed at least one soft goal...I should know, I was setting in 104.....TV will probably get the starts.....But we could have a carolina situation where both play. It will be interesting who trotz starts in net Thursday against the Dead Things..... Mason and we have a controversy....TV and we have none. Mason has played better than last year. TV is playing worse than last year...Kimmo seems to be OK, but Zanon took a nasty shot to the forearm. Glad to see Abid play well, we may need him.

QUOTE(dandy82 @ Mar 27 2007 - 10:49 PM) 826424527[/snapback]Sorry, but TV allowed at least one soft goal...I should know, I was setting in 104.....TV will probably get the starts.....But we could have a carolina situation where both play. It will be interesting who trotz starts in net Thursday against the Dead Things..... Mason and we have a controversy....TV and we have none. Mason has played better than last year. TV is playing worse than last year...Kimmo seems to be OK, but Zanon took a nasty shot to the forearm. Glad to see Abid play well, we may need him.

Kimmo is expected back Tomorrow. Haven't heard anything about Zanon, but he looked okay after that blocked shot, so he should be fine.

QUOTE(CHS 2007 @ Mar 28 2007 - 12:27 PM) 826424891[/snapback]Kimmo is expected back Tomorrow. Haven't heard anything about Zanon, but he looked okay after that blocked shot, so he should be fine.

I hope so...it would be nice to get a few players some rest before the playoffs...We need to win the division, though.....If we can win our division, it appears calgary will be our first round opponent. We have had some knock downs with them in the past. A better first round matchup for us.

Volkun is letting far FAR too many beachballs. I mean, the third goal last night was pitiful! These goals are so soft, they look like they're wrapped in Charmin.

Marek Z has vanished, disappeared.

I think the callups from the Admirals have really stepped up their play, and should push for a roster spot next year.

Yes, I know about doing it in the post-season and not resting on your laurels in the regular season (Detroit last year). However, had the Preds lost last night to a pitiful Edmonton squad, there really would be some soul searching going on today over lost opportunities. Winning the President's Cup would be a HUGE accomplishment for the franchise and a real validation. I'm not suggesting we haul players off the DL to do this, but we should strive for this goal as an opportunity to keep a sharp edge.

The teams below us are picking up the pace, trying to improve their posititons. We need to keep the hunger going.

Can you think of a better two game stretch for the end of the regular season than the Spring Hill Red Wings and the Phallas Stars?

QUOTE(fromthetop2 @ Mar 28 2007 - 04:04 PM) 826425036[/snapback]Volkun is letting far FAR too many beachballs. I mean, the third goal last night was pitiful! These goals are so soft, they look like they're wrapped in Charmin.

Marek Z has vanished, disappeared.

I think the callups from the Admirals have really stepped up their play, and should push for a roster spot next year.

Yes, I know about doing it in the post-season and not resting on your laurels in the regular season (Detroit last year). However, had the Preds lost last night to a pitiful Edmonton squad, there really would be some soul searching going on today over lost opportunities. Winning the President's Cup would be a HUGE accomplishment for the franchise and a real validation. I'm not suggesting we haul players off the DL to do this, but we should strive for this goal as an opportunity to keep a sharp edge.

The teams below us are picking up the pace, trying to improve their posititons. We need to keep the hunger going.

Can you think of a better two game stretch for the end of the regular season than the Spring Hill Red Wings and the Phallas Stars?

Zids has got to start playing better offensively.... I could tell he was pushing too hard at times to make something happen...Go with the flow... When Edmonton scored that 3rd goal...Arghh!!!! But the Preds really responded and I thought the third period was one of the best periods we had played offensively in a while, from a pressure standpoint. We did respond.TV....Man..I was in 104 and I saw that puck go right thru the legs...he was not down.... The slap shot that went in, I'm not sure if it was tipped or not. It's as if he did not see the puck. He made some good saves, the saves where he just reacts, but if he has a second to think about it, he doesn't get the job done. Abid played well and maybe he is getting comfy and will contribute... He is not afraid to mix it up...We need Hartnell or Sully to get well and be effective in the playoffs. Rads..he is really developing.For a young guy, he mixes it up in the corners well....Great hands....And he will SHOOT the puck!!!!! Early in the game, we kept trying for that perfect pass when there were some GREAT shot opportunities.

The Dead Things come in rested....Dallas comes in after playing friday. I believe we really gotta beat the Dead Things in regulation...Their last 4 games are Columbus and Chitago....

QUOTE(dandy82 @ Mar 28 2007 - 04:04 PM) 826425035[/snapback]I hope so...it would be nice to get a few players some rest before the playoffs...We need to win the division, though.....If we can win our division, it appears calgary will be our first round opponent. We have had some knock downs with them in the past. A better first round matchup for us.

The only first-round matchup that would give the Preds some trouble is Minnesota. They play the trap, and for some reason, we can't beat the trap. They've had our number this year because they've been able to take away our speed.

Well, the preds had the opportunity to get it done tonight,,,,But it did not happen.... Trotz put a good spin on it in his postgame talk, but we were outshot, out skated after the first and continue to skate right into the teeth of the detriot defense...We do what they want us to,,,everytime....We gotta learn to get the puck to the middle of the ice when entering the offensive zone....

Our defensive philospohy drives me crazy...Every team understands how to get the puck in our zone... I sure hope trotz is playing possum and not showing his hand defensively...Saving a change for the playoffs....