McMinn County Football

Oskie1

The word in Athens is that Daugherty retired from his head coaching position last night. This is a shock to most as his last team went 7-3. but he has a new baby and so I suppose he wants to focus his attention on his family and that is understandable. Good luck to coach Daugherty

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The word that I am hearing from the school is that a new coach will be in place for spring practice. But with Haney and Grubb who knows we might have a coach by August.

The applicants that I have heard mentioned around town are all good men but none of them have any head coaching experience. Bennett has been a coordinator for several years and has the most leadership experience. What we must have @ McMinn is a person who is willing to do all of the small things and @ the same time maintain discipline and motivate these young men.

We were spoiled for so many years with Mullinax becuase he loved everything that went along with being the head coach at McMinn such as maintaining the fields and preparing them for games becaue money was never the driving force behind him. He loved it all.....but there was no doubt as to who ran the show Mullinax was in charge and the players knew and the coaches knew that. If you ask my opinion that is what has been missing the last few years and that is what we need back.

Yes the players can enjoy playing for their coach but he does not need to be their best friend....there needs to be a since of respect and a common goal of winning football games.

I hope we hire the right man for the job and return order to this football program....

QUOTE(Oskie1 @ Apr 9 2007 - 08:41 AM) 826432856[/snapback]The word that I am hearing from the school is that a new coach will be in place for spring practice. But with Haney and Grubb who knows we might have a coach by August.

The applicants that I have heard mentioned around town are all good men but none of them have any head coaching experience. Bennett has been a coordinator for several years and has the most leadership experience. What we must have @ McMinn is a person who is willing to do all of the small things and @ the same time maintain discipline and motivate these young men.

We were spoiled for so many years with Mullinax becuase he loved everything that went along with being the head coach at McMinn such as maintaining the fields and preparing them for games becaue money was never the driving force behind him. He loved it all.....but there was no doubt as to who ran the show Mullinax was in charge and the players knew and the coaches knew that. If you ask my opinion that is what has been missing the last few years and that is what we need back.

Yes the players can enjoy playing for their coach but he does not need to be their best friend....there needs to be a since of respect and a common goal of winning football games.

I hope we hire the right man for the job and return order to this football program....

Who is in the lead and who do you think will get it in your opinion oskie? When is McMinn scheduled for spring practice

They need to look at an assistant coach in the Chattanooga area. I believe he has been there for about 7 or 8 years, the first 5 or 6 as a defensive coordinator with the past year as the offensive coordinator. He was the Region DC of the year once or twice for what some say is the toughest region in the state. He is a great defensive coach who has some head coaching experience. I believe he was in the running for the job when Mullinax retired. He would have a very disciplined program.

QUOTE(fbcoach4 @ Apr 9 2007 - 12:15 PM) 826433101[/snapback]They need to look at an assistant coach in the Chattanooga area. I believe he has been there for about 7 or 8 years, the first 5 or 6 as a defensive coordinator with the past year as the offensive coordinator. He was the Region DC of the year once or twice for what some say is the toughest region in the state. He is a great defensive coach who has some head coaching experience. I believe he was in the running for the job when Mullinax retired. He would have a very disciplined program.

Has this person applied? If not and he is interested in the position it would be in his best interest to apply ASAP.....

My hope is that McMinn hires a coach that comes from a winning background and brings alot of excitement to not only the program but the community.

I think a great hire for a coach would be just a short trip beyond the interstate on hwy. 30. I think it's a 15 minute drive or so. Established head coach with a winning history with a small number of players. I wonder what he could do with more players. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

QUOTE(Umpire2829 @ Apr 11 2007 - 07:32 PM) 826435364[/snapback]I think a great hire for a coach would be just a short trip beyond the interstate on hwy. 30. I think it's a 15 minute drive or so. Established head coach with a winning history with a small number of players. I wonder what he could do with more players. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

meigs coach would be a good hire

QUOTE(hero141 @ Apr 11 2007 - 09:57 PM) 826435400[/snapback]meigs coach would be a good hire

Yep, Mike Martin would do a great job there. He's got a couple of assistants that need to apply for some head coaching jobs too. Coach Holliday would be a great DC for any team. All their coaches have a love and passion for the game and their players. Very disciplined team that ALWAYS behaves on the field.