Bowling resigning from Dyersburg?

i don't get it that people under-estimate obion's talent

the facilities are top notch and serve as an equalizer

Hill won there & competed for the championship, I think Hill not only made the playoffs but in fact won the district title before Bowling's arrival. So actually the program regressed under Bowling's tenure.

it's just not an even playing field when excuses/reservations are made for some but not others.

I don't mean to be negative but only in response to OC/UC

the fact is Bowling was'nt successful at OC, little or no playoffs

give UC or any other coach the same liberal views & respect

Sure he's a kind gentleman but we're talking about coaching success

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many times has Obion County EVER MADE THE PLAYOFFS PERIOD? Come on, no speed, average talent and didn't he have alot of injuries this year? What was the fullback's name? Wasn't he hurt? And he beat Covington twice when he was up there and gave Dyersburg all he wanted two years ago until Dyersburg pulled it out in the 4th quarter..... I think the guy took Lemons and made lemonade...... And with Caldwell and Taylor returning..... Look out.... I always thought that Bowling was underated..... And Hill when was he coach? And when did OCHS ever win the district?..... You are going back some years aren't you?..... Look for Bowling to roll with that bunch that they have coming back..... And their Facilites are NO WHERE IN THE BALL PARK of what Dyersburg has in terms of weightroom, practice and playing facilities, strength program..... No way.....

QUOTE(FBPLACE @ Apr 9 2007 - 04:59 PM) 826433283[/snapback]i don't get it that people under-estimate obion's talent

the facilities are top notch and serve as an equalizer

Hill won there & competed for the championship, I think Hill not only made the playoffs but in fact won the district title before Bowling's arrival. So actually the program regressed under Bowling's tenure.

it's just not an even playing field when excuses/reservations are made for some but not others.

I don't mean to be negative but only in response to OC/UC

the fact is Bowling was'nt successful at OC, little or no playoffs

give UC or any other coach the same liberal views & respect

Sure he's a kind gentleman but we're talking about coaching success

Hill was 13-9 in his only two years at OC......He was 8-3 his second year and placed 2nd in the region and lost to Kingsbury in the first round of the playoffs.....Bowling was 19-23 in his four years at OC and guided the Rebels to their only playoff win in history his first year.....Despite season ending injuries to his starting running back and starting QB the Rebels finished this past season at 6-4...And if you think Union City's football program is at the same level as it was when Randy Barnes was coaching,you are living in a dream world...Finishing third in a 1A region and losing in the first round of the playoffs??..Please..

But going back to the Bowling-Dyersburg situation,it was reported that Bowling had a meeting with Counce after the death of Counce's wife and asked if he would be interested in taking back control of the football team since Counce retired to be with his ailing wife....Counce told Bowling that he would not be able to do that,that he was still distraught over the loss of his wife........Bowling then met with Dyersburg principal Sam Miles on Sunday nite where Miles told Bowling he was the Dyersburg coach,no ifs,ands or buts about it.....Bowling is going to have to fill two slots on his coaching staff with the vacancies left by John Harrison and Grady Andrews.....

It takes a heck of a guy to offer his job back to someone else,especially after giving up his job at a place he had been for four years...Dyersburg is getting a very good coach and an even better man.....

QUOTE(StevieRayVol @ Apr 9 2007 - 05:25 PM) 826433298[/snapback]How many times has Obion County EVER MADE THE PLAYOFFS PERIOD? Come on, no speed, average talent and didn't he have alot of injuries this year? What was the fullback's name? Wasn't he hurt? And he beat Covington twice when he was up there and gave Dyersburg all he wanted two years ago until Dyersburg pulled it out in the 4th quarter..... I think the guy took Lemons and made lemonade...... And with Caldwell and Taylor returning..... Look out.... I always thought that Bowling was underated..... And Hill when was he coach? And when did OCHS ever win the district?..... You are going back some years aren't you?..... Look for Bowling to roll with that bunch that they have coming back..... And their Facilites are NO WHERE IN THE BALL PARK of what Dyersburg has in terms of weightroom, practice and playing facilities, strength program..... No way.....

I'll have to disagree with you on the facilities...I'll put OC's Stadium and practice field up against anyone's......The Rebels have a 50 yard indoor facility also with turf...The Indoor facility has very nice locker rooms,coaches offices and meeting room.....Dyersburg has a leg up on the weight room and the strength ans conditioning program,i'll give you that.....

With Dyersburg's athletes running Bowling's offense,they will be very,very hard to stop......If OC would have had that burner at QB and runningback,they would have been tough to stop..No telling how many times an OC ball carrier was run down from behind on 50-60 yard runs that would have been TD's with Dyersburg,Covington,Crockett County players running.....

I had been told by some "reliable sources" that Dyersburg DIDN"T WANT DARREN BOWLING TO LEAVE! They wanted him to stay..... They wanted him to be the head coach.....I think he was "Uncomfortable" with maybe knowing Coach Counce's situation..... But I was told the same thing: We want you to be the head coach no if, ands or buts...... So with all this layed to rest, then watch out... He lost Logan Parker and Jacob Fullbright( Is that his name) to injuries last year.... And he "DOES DO MORE WITH LESS'......( I would hated to see him walking the sidelines at Covington the past couple of years.....) That is one bunch James Counce just flat out-coached..... I am glad he is staying..... Has alot of up and coming talent ...... I hear this group of freshmen that will be sophmores has got some "size on them"..... If they ever get some "BIG LINEMEN" to go with that speed..... Look out......

Direct quotes from the parties involved.......This from the Monday,April 9th Sports Section of The Union City Messenger.....

Sam Miles,Dyersburg principal...."Nothing's changed.Darren Bowling has never not been our football coach since the day we hired him back in January."

Darren Bowling....."I have alot of compassion and a great deal of respect for Coach Counce.I know he essentially retired so that he could spend time with Miss Donna and,upon her death,I thought it was the right thing to do if he wanted to get back in the coaching business for me to give him the opportunity to take a program back that he essentially built to where it is now.I felt an obligation to sit down with him to see where his future lies.And I guess with the emotion of the situation and a lot of uncertainty,a lot of things got blown out of proportion as time went on."

When will Dyersburg start spring drills???

QUOTE(FBPLACE @ Apr 9 2007 - 04:59 PM) 826433283[/snapback]Hill won there & competed for the championship, I think Hill not only made the playoffs but in fact won the district title before Bowling's arrival. So actually the program regressed under Bowling's tenure.

Hill made definite strides, there's no question. But regressed under Bowling......

/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

keep thinking that......

I think that Darren Bowling is a class act..... He reportedly went to James Counce and asked him if he would like his old job back..... He said that since Coach Counce's wife had passed away maybe he wanted to get back in the program that HE had built up...... Coach Counce apparently told him he wasn't interested in coaching and that was the end of that.....I for one am pleased that we have Darren Bowling.... I don't think he has ever had the SPEED that he will have down here..... I don't see Tyler Caldwell of Rashad Taylor breaking a 50 yd run and getting run down from behind..... Dyersburg got a good coach as Well as a good man I do believe......

QUOTE(PowerSet @ Apr 10 2007 - 10:44 AM) 826433770[/snapback]Hill made definite strides, there's no question. But regressed under Bowling......

/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

keep thinking that......

hey you need to check you english on your little quote at the bottom

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Apr 9 2007 - 05:56 PM) 826433317[/snapback]Hill was 13-9 in his only two years at OC......He was 8-3 his second year and placed 2nd in the region and lost to Kingsbury in the first round of the playoffs.....Bowling was 19-23 in his four years at OC and guided the Rebels to their only playoff win in history his first year.....Despite season ending injuries to his starting running back and starting QB the Rebels finished this past season at 6-4...And if you think Union City's football program is at the same level as it was when Randy Barnes was coaching,you are living in a dream world...Finishing third in a 1A region and losing in the first round of the playoffs??..Please..

But going back to the Bowling-Dyersburg situation,it was reported that Bowling had a meeting with Counce after the death of Counce's wife and asked if he would be interested in taking back control of the football team since Counce retired to be with his ailing wife....Counce told Bowling that he would not be able to do that,that he was still distraught over the loss of his wife........Bowling then met with Dyersburg principal Sam Miles on Sunday nite where Miles told Bowling he was the Dyersburg coach,no ifs,ands or buts about it.....Bowling is going to have to fill two slots on his coaching staff with the vacancies left by John Harrison and Grady Andrews.....

It takes a heck of a guy to offer his job back to someone else,especially after giving up his job at a place he had been for four years...Dyersburg is getting a very good coach and an even better man.....

backintha....you are so RIGHT, Coach Bowling is a great coach, but is a BETTER person. He will do well, very well at D'burg, but more over HE does well in life, and the kids at D'burg will benefit from being around him.

QUOTE(StevieRayVol @ Apr 6 2007 - 06:05 PM) 826431539[/snapback]I heard today MBA offered James Counce Jr. BIG MONEY as strength and conditioning coach... Grady Andrews is leaving and Harrison is going to Henry County..... Bowling is a GREAT COACH..... But I honestly think that Coach Counce retired to be with his wife and sadly she passed away..... Word will be made the Counce Jr. will be named interim coach at Dyersburg this fall.... And James Counce Sr. will be back on the sidelines in 08.... I think he comes back this year if Jr. goes to MBA( And he is crazy if he doesn't) I would take the money and run! But maybe he doesn't want to leave his dad since he is an only child...... Who knows.... Stay tuned.... But Darren Bowling is gone...... He wants to do things his way and Apparently Coach Counce wants to come back..... And Dyersburg will give Coach Counce what he wants.... OCHS has hired a new coach..... Wonder what Bowling will do now?..... Stay tuned.....

Where is Coach Andrews going to go??????