AAU Team RANKINGS (get ready to argue?)

gomab2

Gomab: I love reading the rankings, and know that its impossible to ever make everyone agree, but at least when ranking the teams you can use head to head matchups. I play for the Nashville Hawks, and was surprised to see us ranked 10th (actually tied for 10th) in the 17's. I know we don't look like we're very good at all, but our results should at least earn us a litle respect. We're 2 and 0 over the Thunder in the last two years both times keeping them out of the Nationals.(last year they only qualified when another team was disqualified). The last time we played Charles Davis at State we beat them by 20, and we played our freshman and sophomores the whole 4th quarter. It was never close. I don't understand how both of these teams that we've handled the last two years can still be ranked ahead of us. We hung with the Brekers at state for the whole game, it was tied with under 4 minutes to play. I have not seen most of the East Tennessee Teams play, so i cannot object with their rankings. And obviously i know that the YOMCA teams and the travelers have us beat.

******About the YOMCA (17s), i was really dissapointed with their play at nationals. After watching them cruise through the state tournament, i figured they would step up and play hard at nationals, where they would face equal competition. Instead of rising to the challenge they still were way too cool to play hard, and wound up finishing third in their pool. I watched Andre Allen run straight to the corner behind the 3 point arc and stand for ten straight possesions without moving a step, and this was in the 4th quarter of a game they were trailing (and eventually lost) No movement without the ball, no rebounding, and no defense.The most amazing thing about the YOMCA is not their play on the court, but how they manage to play and still keep their shorts from falling down. If you've seen them play you know what i mean. After playing in front of coaches Peterson, Smith, and Caliparri (only to name a few)at their last pool game, there was not one scout at their following game in the losers bracket. They only have themselves to blame. I don't know how they finished out, but what i saw was pathetic. The one exception was Bradshaw, he's a terrifc player and deserves to be ranked higher.****

Also at the national tournament we held our own against every team we played. You say that the YOMCA and Ballerz play against National Comp like the travelers, but don't forget about us either. We came out of pool play with a 1 and 2 record, which was the same as YOMCA and i believe (not possitive) a game better than you guys.

Our team is not as serious as others we play. We don't practice much, and are not a member of a powerful club. We're just in it to improve and get ready for the real season, high school. This attitude makes a lot of people not take us for real, and underestimate us. Obviously this is the same thing you have done in your rankings. Still, nothing but love for all the rankings. Most especially in the summer, gives us something to talk about.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the insightful comments, Irish40......

You will see some changes in my new Team Rankings coming out....

Couple of things:

-Give me more info on how you guys did: ie, scores, who you won/lost to, leading performances, etc. I didn't get a chance to watch you guys. We played 5 of our 6 games at High Schools, so I didn't get to Disney as much as I would have liked..

-I had heard wrong, I guess: someone had told me you guys went 0-3 in pool. I saw the first couple of results, but not the last game. Also, the last I had seen, you guys were in the second round of the Classic, against Keystone. How did you guys finish up?

-As for us, we went 1-2 in pool play, with the two losses by a combined 9 points, including blowing a 17 point lead vs Texas G.A.T.A. and a nail biter vs Nationally ranked Nike Team Texas Elite. So I am VERY proud of my guys and the way we played, finishing up at 3-3, with the 7 point loss to Team Texas our biggest loss....

The Nashville Royals for the most part should always be head and shoulders over other teams in the state just for the fact that they've been playing with each other for a while..That should figure in somewhere when they're playing AAU..I honestly dont think they use that advantage, they are a very good and discipline team but I think with the exception of Memphis YOMCA they should be beating other teams that they face because they're pretty much a high school team playing in AAU.

Posted by gomab2:

There hasn't been a whole lot of activity on the Hoops board lately, so I thought I'd start up a thread that would be very interesting........

The following are my AAU/Summer Team Rankings....there is no precedent for this (no AP, etc), but I think it would be very interesting to rank, and then discuss the Rankings......Obviously there will be a lot of disagreement with these Rankings, but I put a lot of thought into them.....And as you all know, I coach the Midstate Ballerz, so you can obviously take that into consideration if you like, though I feel these are very impartial.......

17's--This group is weaker accross the state, but Stronger in East Tn, with Travelers, Yellowjackets, Steam, and Breakers 4 of the top 6.....

17's:

1)YOMCA

2)Tn Travelers

3)Memphis Lions

4)Tn Yellowjackets

5)Chattanooga Steam

6)Tn Breakers

7)Charles Davis Fdn

8)Columbia Bullets

9)Tn Thunder Select

10tie)Nashville Hawks

10tie)Midstate Ballerz

Honor:

Memphis Wildcats

Sumner Co Black Knights

Murfreesboro Nets

Tn Thunder Gold

16's--This is a very Strong age group, with YOMCA and Travelers best teams, some of the best in the country. Also, Breakers are great, with a very good Ballerz team thrown in with three top Memphis teams, and three top Middle Tn Teams.....

16's:

1)YOMCA

2)Tn Travelers

3)Tn Breakers

4)Midstate Ballerz

5)Memphis Bulldogs

6)Nashville Stallions

7)Memphis Idlewild

8)Whiteville Falcons

9)Columbia Bullets

10)Nashville Pacesetters

Honor:

Tn Soldiers

Clarksville Magic

Tn Tornadoes

Tn Thunder

Alcoa Ballers

15's--Age group is loaded with talented teams. Much weaker at the top comparitively to other age groups. Ballerz and Thunder are every bit as good in this group as YOMCA and Travelers, yet the number of talented teams here is astounding. Ballerz substate loss was a setback, but this is a quality age group....

15's

1)YOMCA Bulldogs

2)Tn Travelers

3)Midstate Ballerz

4)Tn Thunder

5)Memphis Rebels

6)Charles Davis Fdn

7)Raleigh-Egypt

8)Memphis Wildcats

9tie)Team Tennessee

9tie)Run 'n Gun

9tie)Nashville Royals

9tie)2nd Pres Blackhawks

Honor:

Memphis Idlewild

Knoxville Lakers

Columbia Bullets

Nashville Titans

[Edited by gomab2 on 5/14/02 7:55P]

[Edited by gomab2 on 5/16/02 10:24A]

THE 15-YOMCA MEMPHIS BULLDOGS ARE A GREAT BASKETBALL TEAM BECAUSE OF THE TALENT, DISCIPLINE & ATTITUDE OF ITS PLAYERS. THIS TEAM HAS COACHING STAFF AND PLAYERS WHO ARE COMMITED TO SUCCESS. MOST OF THE PLAYERS (7) ARE FROM THE SAME SCHOOL, FAIRLEY H.S. UNDER THE LEADERSHIP OF THE LEGENDARY COACH SYLVESTER FORD. THE OTHERS ARE GREAT PLAYERS FROM GOOD PROGRAMS. THIS TEAM HAS BEEN TOGETHER SINCE 1997 WINNING THE PAST 3 AAU STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS AND THE 1999 YBOA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. I WOULD NOT BE SUPRISE TO SEE THIS TEAM WIN THE AAU NATIONALS NEXT YEAR AND IN THE NEAR FUTURE THE TENNESSEE H.S. STATE CHAMPIONSHIP, MAYBE EVEN THIS YEAR, WITH 3-STARTING SOPHOMORES IN 6'10 CENTER - ROUSEAN CROMWELL, 6'5 POWER FORWARD - REGINAL OWENS AND

6'0 POINT GUARD - LAWRENCE JOHNSON.

11-under Memphis Bellevue

12-under Memphis YOMCA

13-under Memphis Golden Eagles

14-under Memphis Bellevue

of activity on the Hoops board lately, so I thought I'd start up a thread that would be very interesting........

The following are my AAU/Summer Team Rankings....there is no precedent for this (no AP, etc), but I think it would be very interesting to rank, and then discuss the Rankings......Obviously there will be a lot of disagreement with these Rankings, but I put a lot of thought into them.....And as you all know, I coach the Midstate Ballerz, so you can obviously take that into consideration if you like, though I feel these are very impartial.......

17's--This group is weaker accross the state, but Stronger in East Tn, with Travelers, Yellowjackets, Steam, and Breakers 4 of the top 6.....

17's:

1)YOMCA

2)Tn Travelers

3)Memphis Lions

4)Tn Yellowjackets

5)Chattanooga Steam

6)Tn Breakers

7)Charles Davis Fdn

8)Columbia Bullets

9)Tn Thunder Select

10tie)Nashville Hawks

10tie)Midstate Ballerz

Honor:

Memphis Wildcats

Sumner Co Black Knights

Murfreesboro Nets

Tn Thunder Gold

16's--This is a very Strong age group, with YOMCA and Travelers best teams, some of the best in the country. Also, Breakers are great, with a very good Ballerz team thrown in with three top Memphis teams, and three top Middle Tn Teams.....

16's:

1)YOMCA

2)Tn Travelers

3)Tn Breakers

4)Midstate Ballerz

5)Memphis Bulldogs

6)Nashville Stallions

7)Memphis Idlewild

8)Whiteville Falcons

9)Columbia Bullets

10)Nashville Pacesetters

Honor:

Tn Soldiers

Clarksville Magic

Tn Tornadoes

Tn Thunder

Alcoa Ballers

15's--Age group is loaded with talented teams. Much weaker at the top comparitively to other age groups. Ballerz and Thunder are every bit as good in this group as YOMCA and Travelers, yet the number of talented teams here is astounding. Ballerz substate loss was a setback, but this is a quality age group....

15's

1)YOMCA Bulldogs

2)Tn Travelers

3)Midstate Ballerz

4)Tn Thunder

5)Memphis Rebels

6)Charles Davis Fdn

7)Raleigh-Egypt

8)Memphis Wildcats

9tie)Team Tennessee

9tie)Run 'n Gun

9tie)Nashville Royals