Coach of the Year D-1/D-2?

LXFAN

Yes, I realize that I am posting this with so much bias, but there is no way you can vote against Kurt Snider(cookeville). Yes, Franklin repeated as state championships, but they also had something to the effect of 21 seniors on the team. Cookeville only had 9 seniors. We only have something like 25 players on our team, of which only about 17 really play. If you compare the teams, Kurt has done so much more with what he had. (I am not saying that our team was terrible by any means. I would not trade this season for anything.) Both Franklin and Cookeville both had great senior leadership, but Cookeville definitely had to overcome much more to get to where we are now in lacrosse. We were a team that didn't even make it to the wild card last year, and are the same team as last year. Franklin won the state championship with the same team, so there really wasn't anything new that they could have implemented to not get the same result as last year. I just don't know how you can give it to anyone else but Kurt this year.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cavlax17 @ May 21 2007 - 02:17 PM) 826464077[/snapback]Yes, I realize that I am posting this with so much bias, but there is no way you can vote against Kurt Snider(cookeville). Yes, Franklin repeated as state championships, but they also had something to the effect of 21 seniors on the team. Cookeville only had 9 seniors. We only have something like 25 players on our team, of which only about 17 really play. If you compare the teams, Kurt has done so much more with what he had. (I am not saying that our team was terrible by any means. I would not trade this season for anything.) Both Franklin and Cookeville both had great senior leadership, but Cookeville definitely had to overcome much more to get to where we are now in lacrosse. We were a team that didn't even make it to the wild card last year, and are the same team as last year. Franklin won the state championship with the same team, so there really wasn't anything new that they could have implemented to not get the same result as last year. I just don't know how you can give it to anyone else but Kurt this year.

That does sound a little bias, but you did admit it. Now, I don't know either of these coaches, I have definitly seen the Franklin Coach more than I have seen the Cookeville coach in action. I feel Hirsch deserved it last year as well, because he basically did what you just described what snider did this year, a great job in both coaches. Franklin, did have a great returning team, but it takes great coaching to get them to that level in the first place. Unfortunatly lacrosse isn't a born trait....its taught. This is what Hirsch does best, if you read the article in the paper about the game 50% of Franklin's goals were by underclassmen......21 Seniors doesn't mean they all play.

QUOTE(cavlax17 @ May 21 2007 - 03:17 PM) 826464077[/snapback]Yes, I realize that I am posting this with so much bias, but there is no way you can vote against Kurt Snider(cookeville). Yes, Franklin repeated as state championships, but they also had something to the effect of 21 seniors on the team. Cookeville only had 9 seniors. We only have something like 25 players on our team, of which only about 17 really play. If you compare the teams, Kurt has done so much more with what he had. (I am not saying that our team was terrible by any means. I would not trade this season for anything.) Both Franklin and Cookeville both had great senior leadership, but Cookeville definitely had to overcome much more to get to where we are now in lacrosse. We were a team that didn't even make it to the wild card last year, and are the same team as last year. Franklin won the state championship with the same team, so there really wasn't anything new that they could have implemented to not get the same result as last year. I just don't know how you can give it to anyone else but Kurt this year.

i agree. having played both teams this year im going to say that both teams were exceptionally coached. i was really impressed with franklin and just the sheer execution they had on offense, even early in the season. but the way coach snider has built up that program from basically nothing two years ago impresses me even more. doesnt coach snider also coach the middle school program at cookeville? correct me if im wrong, cause i probably am.

Snider doesn't coach the middle school team completely anymore. He has subsidized it to some of our college coaches, but basically everything still goes through him. He did coach every other year but last year.

I am not trying to take away anything from what Hirsch has done this year; I just believe what Snider has done this year is more deserving of coach of the year. It is the same case as with what happened with the Ravenwood coach last year in D1. He just showed that his team can finally compete in the division and push for a state championship.