Never a household name. Never a 20 game winner. In fact, he was probably the last man in the bullpen whose job was to come in and eat up innings in a blowout loss. If you flipped on a game on the radio and heard he was on the mound, you knew the Cards were probably losing. His most major accomplishment in a Cardinals uniform was striking out Piazza with 2 on and 1 out in a 3-1 loss to San Deigo in the divisional series last year. But, he knew his job and never complained and was always ready when he was called.

It's been a sad few days in Cardinal Nation, and if you watched any of the Cards game last night, you could tell the effect this has had on the team. He wasn't a Hall of Famer, but Hancock was a well liked guy in the clubhouse, loved being a Cardinal, and in many ways was still a simple guy living his dream. I read where he would just call his automatic service at his bank just to listen over and over about his World Series share deposit of over $300K hit his account.

Even though it is April, I think this is going to do an already struggling Cardinals team in.

I guess we can learn that no matter who we are or what we do that life is precious, fragile, and can be taken from us in an instant no matter who we are.

Unfortunately, the news now coming out of St. Louis is not good. Hancock was well over the limit with alcohol. He also had on him some weed and was talking on his cell phone when the accident occurred. He had been at Mike Shannon's Restaurant prior to the incident. Apparently, there was no effort to stop his vehicle. If there is any bright side to this, he did die nearly instantly.

A sad coda to the story. Hopefully, this will cause at least one person to rethink their actions if in a similar situation. I know when Bobby Hurley was in his accident, and it was reported that he was not wearing a seat belt- that incident really reinforced my usage for quite some time.

As soon as I read the words "Mike Shannon's" earlier this week in reference to this story I had a feeling this news conference today was inevitable. I have no idea who was there, but I am greatly disappointed that anybody would have let him leave if he was that intoxicated. He was nearly double the legal limit!

I agree FTT that maybe, just maybe, this will change a few people though and they won't drive drunk.

QUOTE(fromthetop2 @ May 4 2007 - 04:15 PM) 826451868[/snapback]Unfortunately, the news now coming out of St. Louis is not good. Hancock was well over the limit with alcohol. He also had on him some weed and was talking on his cell phone when the accident occurred. He had been at Mike Shannon's Restaurant prior to the incident. Apparently, there was no effort to stop his vehicle. If there is any bright side to this, he did die nearly instantly.

A sad coda to the story. Hopefully, this will cause at least one person to rethink their actions if in a similar situation. I know when Bobby Hurley was in his accident, and it was reported that he was not wearing a seat belt- that incident really reinforced my usage for quite some time.

My dad and I both called it that alcohol was involved and possibly a cell phone.

So...you're back to being invincible or do you still wear it?

CODESo...you're back to being invincible or do you still wear it?

Absolutely. It is the easiest thing you can do to increase your safety while driving. There are far too many imbeciles driving (particularly on cell phones) not to. I tried being invincible in college and it was too risky. I am proof positive that the Lord watches out for fools and little kids!

QUOTE(coach15 @ May 4 2007 - 05:56 PM) 826451930[/snapback]Cards GM bans alcohol in clubhouse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2860692

All professional sports teams need to step up and do the same. The NFL want to crack down on off the field issues, well distributing alcohol in locker rooms will bring about more negatives, and if you ask me there is not thing positive that can come out of alcohol. Hopefully MLB sets a precedent for the other organizations to follow.