29-4 and not a peep

Stonewall

See my post right above you. I don't have a problem with you bragging about Knoxville teams beating us recently if that's what you need to do to bolster how you feel about yourself. However, as posted above, at least look at last year and be mature enough to know that the eventual State Champ got out of Kingsport by the hair of their......whatever. That was a great game and worthy of whatever is said about it.

QUOTE(LCborn @ May 2 2007 - 11:03 PM) 826450500[/snapback]Recent baseball history is that no matter what D-B's record is, when they hit Region 2 (Knoxville-area) teams in tournament play, the Tribe retreats back to the wigwam to get ready for next year. No matter how much anyone peeps about them.

Perhaps the "Big 9" is more "9" than it is "Big." Perhaps a good record in the "Big" 9 isn't peep-worthy.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Stonewall @ May 2 2007 - 11:16 PM) 826450511[/snapback]I don't have a problem with you bragging about Knoxville teams beating us recently if that's what you need to do to bolster how you feel about yourself.

I don't have a problem with you bragging about the fact that no one else is bragging if that's what you need to do to bolster how you feel about yourself.

QUOTE(Stonewall @ May 2 2007 - 09:16 PM) 826450511[/snapback]I don't have a problem with you bragging about Knoxville teams beating us recently

It's not bragging. It's a fact. It's history.

"Bragging" is describing D-B's record in the "Big" 9.

Spoken like someone who doesn't live up here. We don't race to the computer to woof about Halls, Farragut, or S-D losing. There's no rivalry historically to speak of. If it's possible, pull up some D-B football threads from the 1st week of November and you'll know what I'm talking about. The Science Hill crowd, the South crowd, they wear us out if they ever win and we don't. My whole point is that now that we've swept East Tennessee and the 3 major sports those folks have been crickets for 3 weeks. So have our fans. I think it just illustrates that baseball has a groupie following in East Tennessee. If this were football or basketball and we were #2 in the State our fans would be flooding this board. Rivals would be flooding it to rag us, tell us that we recruit, that we're overrated, and that we never win the State. If it's applicable to where you live, imagine the jawing that goes on between Oak Ridge and Farrgut, Soddy and Ooltewah, Maryville and Central, etc.

QUOTE(LCborn @ May 2 2007 - 11:37 PM) 826450532[/snapback]It's not bragging. It's a fact. It's history.

"Bragging" is describing D-B's record in the "Big" 9.

The Ooltewah loss you speak of was the finals of a tournament where D-B's coach told the tournament director that they would have to go home win or lose after the semi's because they were out of pitchers. The final went into the books as a 7-0 forfeit because the game was never played. Obviously the media up here isn't counting that game. If you wish to count it, the Indians are 30 and 5, not 30 and 4.

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 2 2007 - 09:18 PM) 826450442[/snapback]I thought the pitched they pitched against Farragut was their #2? am I wrong? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the #1 pitcher. But also Did you ever think that DB also played against "JV" pitchers? I'm sure you didn't

Also about the big 9. looking at the teams that are in it. There are 2 above average teams. 2 out of 9. That's are real dominate group right there.

I think DB is 30-5, not 30-4. Why is no one counting the 5th loss? Farragut, Chatt. Central, Ooltewah, William Blount, and Goodpasture. that is 5.

QUOTE(Stonewall @ May 2 2007 - 11:46 PM) 826450546[/snapback]My whole point is that now that we've swept East Tennessee and the 3 major sports those folks have been crickets for 3 weeks. So have our fans. I think it just illustrates that baseball has a groupie following in East Tennessee. If this were football or basketball and we were #2 in the State our fans would be flooding this board. Rivals would be flooding it to rag us, tell us that we recruit, that we're overrated, and that we never win the State. If it's applicable to where you live, imagine the jawing that goes on between Oak Ridge and Farrgut, Soddy and Ooltewah, Maryville and Central, etc.

I don't know about DB sweeping East Tennessee in anything. Football lost in 1st round, and basketball lost in sectionals. There was no sweep of any kind. Maybe the "Big" 9. but other than that there was nothing. I never saw any Farragut people on here talking trash because they only lost once in the district in basketball and went 28-6 while beating the state champs twice. There was nothing. DB just needs to get over themself and realize they may have alot of wins in football and basketball and baseball, but those wins haven't turned into championships in recent memory. Your team can have over 1000 wins in its history but if there are 0 championships then what did the wins actually accomplish? <-- I'm using that as an example. I know that DB has quite a few championships.

Honestly there really isn't too much jawing between most of the schools you listed. I mean during football yes, but in everything else I don't hear alot. Maybe you should've mentioned Bearden/Farragut or Maryville/Knox Central or Maryville/Alcoa.

The point I think some people are trying to make is that the "Big" 9 isn't that strong. So why does it matter that DB has such a great record? DB has played like 5(played 1 three times) teams with atleast 20 wins. Compared to Farragut who has played something like 12(played 4 twice). Im sure some of these numbers could be wrong because not every game for every team is put on coacht. I think on here Bearden is 11-9 but according to the KNS they have over 20 wins( i didnt include them in the stats because I went by what was on here)

To each their own I guess, but I rather like the fact that our teams seem to win at an alarming rate every year. At some point the law of averages will fall our way and we will win a state title. Then our detractors will say "You've only won one.". You can only beat the people you play. As I said, if you examine the D-B hatred that's spewed our way every year just hoping that we will slip up, you would understand. Then when we beat our rivals, they say similar things to what you said below. Football has lost something like two conference games in 12 years. That's not enough, we're chokers. Basketball has been either to the State tourney or the Sectional Finals 4 times in 6 years. That's not enough, we're chokers. Baseball has been a final 8 team something like 4 of the last 6 years. That's not enough, we're chokers. All I know is our kids are now 30 and 4 and I think that's awesome. If we get knocked off in the post-season and don't win it all, we'll be called chokers again. But not by me. I just started the thread because all of our bashers from Dandridge on up have gone into hibernation.

I don't know about DB sweeping East Tennessee in anything. Football lost in 1st round, and basketball lost in sectionals. There was no sweep of any kind. Maybe the "Big" 9. but other than that there was nothing. I never saw any Farragut people on here talking trash because they only lost once in the district in basketball and went 28-6 while beating the state champs twice. There was nothing. DB just needs to get over themself and realize they may have alot of wins in football and basketball and baseball, but those wins haven't turned into championships in recent memory. Your team can have over 1000 wins in its history but if there are 0 championships then what did the wins actually accomplish? <-- I'm using that as an example. I know that DB has quite a few championships.

QUOTE(Stonewall @ May 2 2007 - 09:46 PM) 826450546[/snapback]Spoken like someone who doesn't live up here. We don't race to the computer to woof about Halls, Farragut, or S-D losing. There's no rivalry historically to speak of. If it's possible, pull up some D-B football threads from the 1st week of November and you'll know what I'm talking about. The Science Hill crowd, the South crowd, they wear us out if they ever win and we don't. My whole point is that now that we've swept East Tennessee and the 3 major sports those folks have been crickets for 3 weeks. So have our fans. I think it just illustrates that baseball has a groupie following in East Tennessee. If this were football or basketball and we were #2 in the State our fans would be flooding this board. Rivals would be flooding it to rag us, tell us that we recruit, that we're overrated, and that we never win the State. If it's applicable to where you live, imagine the jawing that goes on between Oak Ridge and Farrgut, Soddy and Ooltewah, Maryville and Central, etc.

"Swept East Tennessee"? I think that "East Tennessee" starts approximately at Chattanooga. D-B may have swept the three northeasternmost counties in Tennessee, but that doesn't mean that D-B has "swept East Tennessee." I thought Knoxville was in East Tennessee. I thought Chattanooga was in East Tennessee. Perhaps we have different ideas about geography, about what a broom is, and about what a sweeping is.

I'm not certain how football threads affect baseball. I thought they were different sports. I know they both have helmets, but in my part of East Tennessee, they use different rules and are played at different times of the year. Perhaps that's not so in Kingsport.

Perhaps some folks have been all about cricket, but I thought this was a baseball thread. I don't think many high schools around Knoxville have cricket teams.

Naturally, you "don't race to the computer to woof about Halls, Farragut, or S-D losing." You haven't, after all, seen them lose when they play D-B.

To each their own I guess, but I rather like the fact that our teams seem to win at an alarming rate every year. At some point the law of averages will fall our way and we will win a state title. Then our detractors will say "You've only won one.". You can only beat the people you play. As I said, if you examine the D-B hatred that's spewed our way every year just hoping that we will slip up, you would understand. Then when we beat our rivals, they say similar things to what you said below. Football has lost something like two conference games in 12 years. That's not enough, we're chokers. Basketball has been either to the State tourney or the Sectional Finals 4 times in 6 years. That's not enough, we're chokers. Baseball has been a final 8 team something like 4 of the last 6 years. That's not enough, we're chokers. All I know is our kids are now 30 and 4 and I think that's awesome. If we get knocked off in the post-season and don't win it all, we'll be called chokers again. But not by me. I just started the thread because all of our bashers from Dandridge on up have gone into hibernation.

The last time that D-B baseball made the "final 8" was the 2001 season. Since the state tournament expanded to 8 teams, the sectional (or "substate") game has been the final 16 teams

QUOTE(Stonewall @ May 2 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826450497[/snapback]My curiosity in beginning this thread was really more for the lack of local bragging than anything else. If D-B ever loses in football or in hoops, look out! CoachT will light up like a Christmas tree. I just found it odd that the Indians could be punctuating a rare year of total area dominance and no one is talking about it. As for the State thing, I think you have to be pretty close-minded to knock last year's squad. Sometimes the breaks just screw you and last year the Indians were really unfortunate. Otherwise it's reasonable to assume THEY would have been state champs rather than Farragut. Think about it; D-B won the District and the Region.....and their reward was for Farragut to sleepwalk against Karns and get upset. Science Hill's reward for getting their tail's kicked was to play Karns rather than Farragut....go figure! Unlike '04 and '05, D-B still almost got it done against a superb pitcher. That was the State Championship game right there. Runner's on 2nd and 3rd, two out, bottom of the seventh, and Farragut made one more play than we did. I tip my cap to them as I did then. But.....it was difficult enough for them to use that effort to catapult to a State Title. The Indians may not win it this year, but rest assured that they are the hateful fox around the hen house and you had better be pretty good to beat them.

The state championship, in 5A, most times in any sport, has to run straight through the MIDDLE. Lincoln County, Riverdale, Oakland, Gallatain, etc.