Metro City Freshman Boys City Track Meet

ebbybm

Big Ups to the MLK Freshman Track team for being crowned City Champs (over public-private schools). It was a heated finish that came down to the wire between MLK and Ensworth with the Royals coming out on top with a 4 x 400 anchor, Blake Edwards, walking down five runners after coming from behind. The Royals won with 98 points with Ensworth coming in at 90 points.

Jaz Davis from MLK was named Most Valuable Athlete for the track events and Mark Vanderpool, Brentwood Academy, was named Most Valuable Athlete over the field events.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ebbybm @ May 4 2007 - 06:21 AM) 826451416[/snapback]Big Ups to the MLK Freshman Track team for being crowned City Champs (over public-private schools). It was a heated finish that came down to the wire between MLK and Ensworth with the Royals coming out on top with a 4 x 400 anchor, Blake Edwards, walking down five runners after coming from behind. The Royals won with 98 points with Ensworth coming in at 90 points.

Jaz Davis from MLK was named Most Valuable Athlete for the track events and Mark Vanderpool, Brentwood Academy, was named Most Valuable Athlete over the field events.

o yes

we have worked super hard this year and it ended up good but we still have a good bit of work to do to help the MLK team as a whole accomplish as much as possible.

as a whole we are probably the strongest class that has ever come through the mlk system and looking to do great things

QUOTE(Mlkinghurdler @ May 4 2007 - 11:58 PM) 826452249[/snapback]o yes

we have worked super hard this year and it ended up good but we still have a good bit of work to do to help the MLK team as a whole accomplish as much as possible.

as a whole we are probably the strongest class that has ever come through the mlk system and looking to do great things

back it down, show a little humility. the 05 class was great. it had talent in just about every event, throws, jumps, vault, hurdles, sprints, distance, everything. i just don't see a romell gletten or an anderson skaggs in the 2010 class. and without that great 05 class winning state, half of the current freshman may not even be running track. and the 03 class was really solid as well, if ryan bailey had not been hurt he and richard barbour (sp?) would have scored 50+ pts alone not including everyone else and the relays.

congrats to the freshman class, just don't get cocky. the greats rarely are, one of my favorite things about this sport

QUOTE(thecrippler2222 @ May 5 2007 - 01:01 AM) 826452269[/snapback]back it down, show a little humility. the 05 class was great. it had talent in just about every event, throws, jumps, vault, hurdles, sprints, distance, everything. i just don't see a romell gletten or an anderson skaggs in the 2010 class. and without that great 05 class winning state, half of the current freshman may not even be running track. and the 03 class was really solid as well, if ryan bailey had not been hurt he and richard barbour (sp?) would have scored 50+ pts alone not including everyone else and the relays.

congrats to the freshman class, just don't get cocky. the greats rarely are, one of my favorite things about this sport

True, right now we are a bit ahead of the pack as a team, but there could always be some late bloomers. The entire team has worked hard this year, but we can't stop now. We need to continue to push each other, but not ruin the fun of the sport. Now, we can't really know who ranks where. There are so many people who just started running this year. After a couple years and some training, we could be at the back of the group. Then again we could be at the top. We will have to wait till Junior/Senior year, until we can see how we truly stack up to the rest of the competition.

QUOTE(thecrippler2222 @ May 5 2007 - 12:01 AM) 826452269[/snapback]back it down, show a little humility. the 05 class was great. it had talent in just about every event, throws, jumps, vault, hurdles, sprints, distance, everything. i just don't see a romell gletten or an anderson skaggs in the 2010 class. and without that great 05 class winning state, half of the current freshman may not even be running track. and the 03 class was really solid as well, if ryan bailey had not been hurt he and richard barbour (sp?) would have scored 50+ pts alone not including everyone else and the relays.

thats true.

very true.

and i can't even really brag about it because i myself was sick all week and performed horribly at the prelims on tuesday and couldn't even get off the couch thursday but they still suprised and the class of '05 is still the king of track at MLK since they do have the rings

The '05 class worked very hard for four years. They did a lot of weight training in the offseason.

Class of '05 stats from Freshman and Senior year

Frankie Anderson

'02 Didn't Run

'05 37'8"Shot 99'8"

Arthur Bachus

'02 65.0 2:32 5:23.6 11:44

'05 Transfer To HFA

Yi Chieh Chang

'02 12.40 24.3 56.4 17'5" LJ

'05 10.97 22.36 50.0

Connor Darby

'02 Full Time Soccer

'05 Part Time Track 53.50 2:00.30

Demario Dayton

'02 11.35 23.80 51.70 2:18.10 19'10"LJ 5'8"HJ

'05 NT 23.84 52.3 NT 18'9"LJ N/A HJ 42'10" Shot 137'3" Disc 41'6"TJ

Romell Gletten

'02 13.40 26.0 58.7

'05 NA NA 54.40 1:59.16 4:27.81 9:40.47

Larry Gooch

'02 66.1 2:43.9 19.30HH 52.00IM 33'7"Shot

'05 Retired

Murphy Goodman

'02 51.6 2:07.9 5:03 12:12.90 10'6"PV

'05 11.66 23.26 49.71 1:59.8 5:13.40 NA 12'6"PV

Michael Harrison

'02 Didn't Run

'05 11.92 24.43 53.6 2:25.7 9'PV

Philip Harrison

'02 Didn't Run

'05 12.20 61.4 18'LJ 5'2" HJ

Daniel Hayes

'02 NA 26.50 61.4 52.80IM

'05 11.74 23.97 56.7

Aaron Lee

'02 25.90 57.5

'05 Retired

Gideon Levitt

'02 2:35 6:04 13:50

'05 26.20 58.10

Anderson Skaggs

'02 62.7 2:09.4 5:14 11'PV

'05 12.00 53.70 2:14.2 15.21HH 40.22IM 13'6"PV

Monte Williams

'02 Basketbal, Baseballl

'05 56.3 2:07.01 6'HJ

Michael Wooten

'02 32'11" Shot 97'4" Disc

'05 37'5" Shot 108'11" Disc

QUOTE(thecrippler2222 @ May 5 2007 - 01:01 AM) 826452269[/snapback]back it down, show a little humility. the 05 class was great. it had talent in just about every event, throws, jumps, vault, hurdles, sprints, distance, everything. i just don't see a romell gletten or an anderson skaggs in the 2010 class. and without that great 05 class winning state, half of the current freshman may not even be running track. and the 03 class was really solid as well, if ryan bailey had not been hurt he and richard barbour (sp?) would have scored 50+ pts alone not including everyone else and the relays.

I agree with you. The only thing I differ is "that they would not being running if it was not for the class of 05". Half of them were not at MLK in 05 and do not know them (except for on the wall of fame). Three fourths of them ran at their respected middle schools and looked forward to running for MLK regardless. They mean no disrespect, they are young and "caught up". Trust, there are a lot of people who will keep them grounded.

QUOTE(ebbybm @ May 7 2007 - 02:27 PM) 826453619[/snapback]I agree with you. The only thing I differ is "that they would not being running if it was not for the class of 05". Half of them were not at MLK in 05 and do not know them (except for on the wall of fame). Three fourths of them ran at their respected middle schools and looked forward to running for MLK regardless. They mean no disrespect, they are young and "caught up". Trust, there are a lot of people who will keep them grounded.

MLK has a 7-12 program, and they would have been 7th graders at the time, at MLK, so there probably exists some memory of the class of 05, and MLK would be their respected middle school. Regardless of how young and "caught up" they may be, it is always best to remain humble in victory. the crippler is right to say that they're not the first powerhouse class to ever run at MLK.

As stated before, alot of them did not attend MLK, and I know that for a fact but regardless, let them have their moment. If you know them personally, as I do, then you know they are not that kind of kids. Noone is trying to erase the past but continue the legacy.

They are very humbled!!!!! I know because I am raising one of them. He could care less about the accoloades.

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(ebbybm @ May 8 2007 - 08:54 AM) 826454248[/snapback]As stated before, alot of them did not attend MLK, and I know that for a fact but regardless, let them have their moment. If you know them personally, as I do, then you know they are not that kind of kids. Noone is trying to erase the past but continue the legacy.

They are very humbled!!!!! I know because I am raising one of them. He could care less about the accoloades.

I agree ebbybm. I knew most of these kids when they were eighth graders. Win they won the Division and City meets they were very excited yet humbled. They showed great sportsmanship in their victory. This past season was no different. The middle school coach does a great job and Coach Dorris does a great job as well. MLK has a program that most would love to be a part of. Kids are going to be kids and they are going to show their excitement in different ways. Dont let it fool you they are humble.