Tempers and Egos

imno1uno

I'm amazed at how grown adults act in public.

High school players are entitled to hype and defend their team, its part of the game. Parents are entitled to bask in the glory of their child's abilities.

But the twain should never meet.

The game between Giles Co. & Loretto is a perfect example.

Tempers flared and egos were bruised across the entire park! A Giles' coach (an advanced aged person already steamed over any number of calls or the lack of) aimed his anger toward a Loretto player (a TEENAGER).

Even if words were exchanged, this coach (an ADULT?) should have not engaged in a heated debate with the player.

This lack of restraint only fueled a response from that player's Father.

The spirit of the game was already headed downhill.

Batters were advanced to first by a lack of an attempt to dodge a pitch in the strike zone.

I guess it's safer to agree with a call (or the lack of) if you were not watching the game.

And another thing, PARENTS... if your son or daughter is pulled from the game by a coach because he/she did not follow the coach's direction..AGAIN.. Don’t make a statement your not willing to back up.

If your child is too good to play for this or that team, I'm sure another parent will gladly draw you a map as to how get out of that town, leaving you free to never return again.

Setting examples... what a concept.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly true. Parents are getting way to carried away. Even in my neck of the woods in Clinton a father has a restraining order against him due to a disagreement with the coach. Who is the biggest loser? His kids who want to play with their friends and be part of a team. Sometimes its hard to distinguish who is the kid and the one that needs to grow up. It even made news in the Sentinel a week ago.

QUOTE(fozzy @ May 8 2007 - 02:28 PM) 826454576[/snapback]Sadly true. Parents are getting way to carried away. Even in my neck of the woods in Clinton a father has a restraining order against him due to a disagreement with the coach. Who is the biggest loser? His kids who want to play with their friends and be part of a team. Sometimes its hard to distinguish who is the kid and the one that needs to grow up. It even made news in the Sentinel a week ago.

Hang in there Buddy, I'm sure he thought he was defending you, but sometimes things get out of whack by the time a personal thought becomes a public issue. Just enjoy the game as best you can while you can!

QUOTE(imno1uno @ May 8 2007 - 02:15 PM) 826454569[/snapback]I'm amazed at how grown adults act in public.

High school players are entitled to hype and defend their team, its part of the game. Parents are entitled to bask in the glory of their child's abilities.

But the twain should never meet.

The game between Giles Co. & Loretto is a perfect example.

Tempers flared and egos were bruised across the entire park! A Giles' coach (an advanced aged person already steamed over any number of calls or the lack of) aimed his anger toward a Loretto player (a TEENAGER).

Even if words were exchanged, this coach (an ADULT?) should have not engaged in a heated debate with the player.

This lack of restraint only fueled a response from that player's Father.

The spirit of the game was already headed downhill.

Batters were advanced to first by a lack of an attempt to dodge a pitch in the strike zone.

I guess it's safer to agree with a call (or the lack of) if you were not watching the game.

And another thing, PARENTS... if your son or daughter is pulled from the game by a coach because he/she did not follow the coach's direction..AGAIN.. Don’t make a statement your not willing to back up.

If your child is too good to play for this or that team, I'm sure another parent will gladly draw you a map as to how get out of that town, leaving you free to never return again.

Setting examples... what a concept.

MOST OF THIS IS TRUE, IT GOT VERY HEATED BUT THE GILES COUNTY COACH NEVER SAID ANYTHING TO THE OPPOSING PLAYER. HE WAS TELLING THE FIELD UMPIRE TO GET CONTROL OF THE GAME. IT WAS A MISUNDERSTANDING. THE COACH WAS POINTING AT THE UMPIRE AND TALKING TO HIM AND THE PLAYER THOUGHT HE WAS POINTING AT HIM. JUST A MISUNDERSTANDING. NOTHING WAS SAID TO THE PLAYER.

There was an article in the NASHVILLE CITY PAPER about two parents getting into some type of fight during a regional game. These so called parents are real class acts!!!!!!! The players are acting better than their parents.

QUOTE(cbg @ May 8 2007 - 02:52 PM) 826454593[/snapback]There was an article in the NASHVILLE CITY PAPER about two parents getting into some type of fight during a regional game. These so called parents are real class acts!!!!!!! The players are acting better than their parents.

If anybody wants to see baseball and family at it's best, watch the Lamm family when the father (Gary/Loretto) and one of three sons (Paul/Springhill) face-off in a game. Both show how it should be done. Congrats to Loretto, God bless the Lamms and all the Loretto/Springhill baseball families.

QUOTE(imno1uno @ May 9 2007 - 06:49 AM) 826455162[/snapback]If anybody wants to see baseball and family at it's best, watch the Lamm family when the father (Gary/Loretto) and one of three sons (Paul/Springhill) face-off in a game. Both show how it should be done. Congrats to Loretto, God bless the Lamms and all the Loretto/Springhill baseball families.

You must be Gary Lamm himself or you have never watched Loretto play a game when they are behind. I have heard him tell a umpire not to bring his problems from home to the ballpark. How that umpire did not throw him out of the game i will never know. If this is what you mean by how it should be done you need to think again. I watched his son Mark come all the way from centerfield to homeplate and argue with the umpire during a game last year.

QUOTE(SuperSport @ May 9 2007 - 09:37 PM) 826455920[/snapback]Imno1uno, welcome to the boards. What mreverything said is fact, enough said.

I was referring to the close ties the Lamms have with each other and the spirit they share as a baseball family.

Not that they were there to kneel before every fan, parent, or jerk in the stands that thinks they are a gift to area baseball and their kid deserves more attention and praise that the coach AND team are giving them.

I was at all those games, many times the actions were justified.

The one time I did see Lamm tell that to an Ump after only two pitches into a game at, of all places, Giles Co.!

The fact is, he was referring to something that happened in the past between the two.

The "centerfielder" deal was a case of "reversed homecookin" on behalf of a local Ump who felt his son got over looked by the Loretto coach while he was at Loretto. The entire Loretto team and stands were protesting. Mark Lamm, who is now playing for Vandy, just had a longer trip to the infield

High school baseball is just that. Baseball for the HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS not the parent or so called fan that didn't make the team, never got the credit they thought they deserved as a kid, or was not a good enough player to advance past school ball.

So you both need to get YOUR facts straight before you blow up at a game like these other guys.

How classy is the entire team yelling at an umpire? What happened to respect? How does that("reversed homecooking") give Mark Lamb the right to stand two inches from an umpire's face and bombard him with spit? But forget that because he's moved on. You said it yourself, High school baseball is for high school student athletes. Parents should stay off of the field!

Let's try to return some respect to this great game.

QUOTE(SuperSport @ May 10 2007 - 11:42 AM) 826456473[/snapback]How classy is the entire team yelling at an umpire? What happened to respect? How does that("reversed homecooking") give Mark Lamb the right to stand two inches from an umpire's face and bombard him with spit? But forget that because he's moved on. You said it yourself, High school baseball is for high school student athletes. Parents should stay off of the field!

Let's try to return some respect to this great game.

"Classy" has not been brought up until now, because there have not been any need for that term to be used at any games I've seen in years in this district, region, or section by any coach, player, or the almighty fans in the stands. Like I stated before if the "adults" don't like the way their kid is being treated, MOVE ON! And as far as repect goes, I personally respect any and everyone who acts respectable to begin with. But once that person does not return the respect or abuses their authority, respect is no longer a valued thing. I guess there is a place where everyone agrees with every call, all parents are content to let things happen as they may, and coaches and their players are always on their best behavior, oh yeah and there are no green fields, blue skies, or muti-colored uniforms because the only colors allowed is black and white. Dream on. Maybe if respect was deserved by all, you and I would not be wasteing our time on the internet! I never said he was an angel, but Gary Lamm has done more for Loretto Baseball than most in the history of Loretto Baseball. I do respect him for that. And as for those folks that don't like what they see and hear at the ball park, Stay home and respect yourself.

QUOTE(imno1uno @ May 10 2007 - 04:47 PM) 826456658[/snapback]"Classy" has not been brought up until now, because there have not been any need for that term to be used at any games I've seen in years in this district, region, or section by any coach, player, or the almighty fans in the stands. Like I stated before if the "adults" don't like the way their kid is being treated, MOVE ON! And as far as repect goes, I personally respect any and everyone who acts respectable to begin with. But once that person does not return the respect or abuses their authority, respect is no longer a valued thing. I guess there is a place where everyone agrees with every call, all parents are content to let things happen as they may, and coaches and their players are always on their best behavior, oh yeah and there are no green fields, blue skies, or muti-colored uniforms because the only colors allowed is black and white. Dream on. Maybe if respect was deserved by all, you and I would not be wasteing our time on the internet! I never said he was an angel, but Gary Lamm has done more for Loretto Baseball than most in the history of Loretto Baseball. I do respect him for that. And as for those folks that don't like what they see and hear at the ball park, Stay home and respect yourself.

I was just wondering how long has Loretto had baseball and who are some of the other coaches over the years? I go to ballgames to watch the games if i go and a coach, parent or fan make a fool out of themselves it takes away from what i was there for. When you have a coach that argues everytime a call goes against them soon the players feel like they are getting a raw deal everygame and soon after that the parents feel like all calls against them are umpires just trying to cheat their kid. A coach questioning a call from time to time is part of the game i know that but when it turns into 3 or 4 times a game thats more than most fans want.