Best ever @ state

steelerwhit

It would be hard to find anyone that has ever had a performance, at the state meet, that would equal what Larry Cantrell (Goodletsville High) had in the mid 80's. He won the state by himself. 4 events, 40 pts. He won the longjump (around 22'), the 200, the 100 (10.6) and he ran an incredible 400 in 46 seconds. He was a tailback that weighed around 220lbs. He went to Alabama and just missed the Olympic team in the 400. Any of you "OLDTIMERS" remember Larry?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waller's six event day was the toughest I've seen at State. LJ,TJ,HJ,100,400,200. His low 21 performance to win the 200 at the end of the meet showed the conditioning that Coach Lewis gave him in training. Ramon was sick the day of the State meet and still won the 1,4, and 2. I think Cantrell's four event wins at State gave his school the team title as well.

Molly is the closest to Cantrell. She did win 4 ind. events plus the pentathlon. She has a total of 8 championships. Victoria Dunlap has 6 titles but I hear she is injured. If not for her injury, I think she would possibly equal if not better Molly Kennedy. Both Sean waller and Ramon Clay only have 5 each individually, not sure about the relays. Larry Cantrell won the 1, 2, and 400 three years in a row. His 10th title was in the longjump. He did win the team title by himself. I have not been able to find anyone with more titles than him. He is the Carl Lewis of Tn track.

Jabari Greer from Jackson South Side in 2000 had an awesome day. 1st place in 110 hurdles, 300 hurdles, high jump, long jump and 2nd in 100. That was an unbelievable performance. Jabari went on to run track at UT and play football. He won an indoor national championship in the hurdles and plays for Buffalo in the NFL. He's a "world class" athlete.

QUOTE(steelerwhit @ May 10 2007 - 11:23 AM) 826456455[/snapback]Molly is the closest to Cantrell. She did win 4 ind. events plus the pentathlon. She has a total of 8 championships. Victoria Dunlap has 6 titles but I hear she is injured. If not for her injury, I think she would possibly equal if not better Molly Kennedy. Both Sean waller and Ramon Clay only have 5 each individually, not sure about the relays. Larry Cantrell won the 1, 2, and 400 three years in a row. His 10th title was in the longjump. He did win the team title by himself. I have not been able to find anyone with more titles than him. He is the Carl Lewis of Tn track.

i think jackie will end up getting way more than 10 and thats with the 4 event limit and not competing in the pent. so she can only win a maximum of 16. if there was no event limit she would probably be winning 6-8 in one year (100, 200, 400, 100HH, 300IM, LJ, and maybe a relay or two if she is extremely well conditioned)

Bingham has 9. Probably could've had more...easy winner in the highs and lows as a senior.

also lets open this up to who has the most records

off the top of my head

Bumbalough has 3-xc, 1600, and 3200...i don't care about the course change, if people wanna argue he isn't the best ever then fine

guy also has 5 regional records...4x4,4x8,800,1600,3200