Marshall Co. 2, Loretto 1 - WP Cory Searls

PageMan

Loretto.............0..0..1....0..0..0....0.....1..4..0

Marshall Co......0..0..0....2..0..0....X.....2..5..1

Winning Pitcher - Cory Searls - 7 inn - 1 run - 0 ER - 4 hits - 2 K - 3 walks

Losing Pitcher - Brock Glass - 5.67 inn - 2 runs - 2 ER - 5 hits - 1 K - 6 walks

Relief Pitcher - Wesley Gobble - 0.33 inn - 0 runs - 0 ER - 0 hits - 1 K - 0 walks

Loretto's lone unearned run came in the top of the 3rd inn as with 2 outs Brady Kimbrel singled to left field and then it appeared that Luke Buttrum had grounded out to end the inning, but upon consultation of the umpires, the call was changed to safe as apparently the throw pulled the 1st baseman off the bag. The Lewisburg crowd complainly loudly and one spectator was ejected. The home plate umpire threatened to clear the stands, but Marshall Co. Coach Joe George was able to calm the crowd. Play was resumed with Kimbrel at 2nd and Buttrum at 1st with 2 outs. Wesley Gobble then singled to right center field to score Kimbrel.

Marshall Co. scored what would be the winning 2 runs in the bottom of the 4th inn as Judd Stoltz started it off with a single, but was put out on a 5-4 play on a ground ball hit by Colton Primm. Seth Lintz then doubled to right center which advanced Primm to 3rd. At that point, PR Neal Tatum came in for Primm at 3rd. Cory Searls then walked to load the bases. Seth Nance singled to left field which scored Tatum. Kellen Gower hit a ground ball to 2nd which put out Nance 4-6, but Lintz scored on the play to put Marshall ahead 2-1.

Marshall Pitcher Cory Searls held Loretto scoreless and hitless the remainder of the game as only 1 Loretto batter reached base on a walk. In the top of the 5th, Left Fielder Zach Cross made 2 great catches and SS Justin McQueen caught a pop fly for the final out. In the top of the 6th, Right Fielder Seth Lintz caught a fly ball and Searls struck out 2 batters as Loretto had a walk. In the top of the 7th. SS McQueen caught a pop fly for out 1 and then made 2 plays on ground balls to end the inning and game.

Marshall Co. travels to Pulaski tomorrow to face Giles Co. in the championship game or games. The first game starts at 4 PM, and if Marshall wins, the 2nd game will follow.

Loretto played well and it was the last game for their Seniors - Brock Glass, Wesley Gobble, Lucas Nunley, Zach Holt, Nick Quillen, and Luke Buttrum. Good luck in the future guys.

QUOTE(PageMan @ May 9 2007 - 10:40 PM) 826456061[/snapback]Loretto.............0..0..1....0..0..0....0.....1..4..0

Losing Pitcher - Brock Glass - 5.67 inn - 2 runs - 2 ER - 5 hits - 1 K - 6 walks

Relief Pitcher - Wesley Gobble - 0.33 inn - 0 runs - 0 ER - 0 hits - 1 K - 0 walks

Loretto's lone unearned run came in the top of the 3rd inn as with 2 outs Brady Kimbrel singled to left field and then it appeared that Luke Buttrum had grounded out to end the inning, but upon consultation of the umpires, the call was changed to safe as apparently the throw pulled the 1st baseman off the bag. The Lewisburg crowd complainly loudly and one spectator was ejected. The home plate umpire threatened to clear the stands, but Marshall Co. Coach Joe George was able to calm the crowd. Play was resumed with Kimbrel at 2nd and Buttrum at 1st with 2 outs. Wesley Gobble then singled to right center field to score Kimbrel.

Marshall Co. scored what would be the winning 2 runs in the bottom of the 4th inn as Judd Stoltz started it off with a single, but was put out on a 5-4 play on a ground ball hit by Colton Primm. Seth Lintz then doubled to right center which advanced Primm to 3rd. At that point, PR Neal Tatum came in for Primm at 3rd. Cory Searls then walked to load the bases. Seth Nance singled to left field which scored Tatum. Kellen Gower hit a ground ball to 2nd which put out Nance 4-6, but Lintz scored on the play to put Marshall ahead 2-1.

Marshall Pitcher Cory Searls held Loretto scoreless and hitless the remainder of the game as only 1 Loretto batter reached base on a walk. In the top of the 5th, Left Fielder Zach Cross made 2 great catches and SS Justin McQueen caught a pop fly for the final out. In the top of the 6th, Right Fielder Seth Lintz caught a fly ball and Searls struck out 2 batters as Loretto had a walk. In the top of the 7th. SS McQueen caught a pop fly for out 1 and then made 2 plays on ground balls to end the inning and game.

Marshall Co. travels to Pulaski tomorrow to face Giles Co. in the championship game or games. The first game starts at 4 PM, and if Marshall wins, the 2nd game will follow.

Loretto played well and it was the last game for their Seniors - Brock Glass, Wesley Gobble, Lucas Nunley, Zach Holt, Nick Quillen, and Luke Buttrum. Good luck in the future guys.

Pageman, as always a complete & thorough recap.

This was a really good ballgame.

Umpire was a joke. And a jerk.

QUOTE(PageMan @ May 9 2007 - 10:40 PM) 826456061[/snapback]Loretto.............0..0..1....0..0..0....0.....1..4..0

Was it the same umpires as Monday in Pulaski? Maybe the district needs to use another association next year at tournament time.

TIGERMAN I would like to see u get out there and umpire that game if you think the umpire was a joke. Umpires sure do get bashed on here way too often!!!!! I would like to see shome of these bashers try to do just one competive game with a stand full of fans. 2 coaches hollering at you 200 fans hollering at you while you are trying to call balls and strikes. ball 8 inches off the plate and the catcher tries to frame it to make it look like a strike. Tigerman I have a mask if you want to borrow it.

QUOTE(mreverything @ May 10 2007 - 05:21 AM) 826456168[/snapback]Was it the same umpires as Monday in Pulaski? Maybe the district needs to use another association next year at tournament time.

It was not the same guys, but from what I understand they were from the same Columbia area group. The play Pageman refered to at first would not have been as dramatic if the field Ump had not refused to check with the plate Ump when asked to do so by the Loretto 1st base coach (Barnett). The MC 1st baseman clearly pulled his foot, the field Ump called the runner out. After Barnett protested and asked that he check with the plate Ump the guy in the field just kept walking refusing a second on the call. It was only after Loretto's Coach Lamm asked the Plate guy to listen to Barnett, that the runner was called safe. The Ump behind the plated had a better view of the play anyway. Of course this is just fodder for a fire that's burned out now anyway.

Loretto had a good year of baseball even with the injuries to key seniors that held the brake on the team at times.

Tonight's game(s) will be interesting to watch if nothing else for the comedic performance the MC and GC coaches are sure to put on. Be sure and take your videos there may be some "funny money" to be made from the footage. Good luck to all the district seniors that played their hearts out these last few months, to many that's the end of baseball as

a kid.

Tonight, the Tigers of Marshall meet the Bobcats of Giles. Let the Cat fight begin! Don't forget Giles fans the number to call is 9-1-1, and ask for animal control. Oh yeah careful not to step in the Kitty litter. Peace Out!

I will confirm that the umpires in last night's game between Marshall Co. and Loretto were not the same ones that did the Giles Co./Loretto game. The association of umpires to be used in the district tournament was voted on by the coaches and the majority went to the Columbia Association. As for the play itself, I didn't have a good angle, but the Marshall Co. fans said it appeared to them that 1st baseman Colton Primm's foot brushed the base after receiving the throw. Loretto Coach Barnett probably had the best angle since I believe that the field umpire was between 1st and 2nd and may have been shielded by Primm or batter runner Luke Buttrum. The delay in asking for help from the home plate umpire was confusing to me. Apparently the field umpire felt he had made the correct call and did not ask for help immediately. Only after Loretto Coach Gary Lamm complained did the home plate umpire walk towards 1st base and consult with the field umpire. The call was changed after that.

QUOTE(baseball @ May 10 2007 - 07:35 AM) 826456228[/snapback]TIGERMAN I would like to see u get out there and umpire that game if you think the umpire was a joke. Umpires sure do get bashed on here way too often!!!!! I would like to see shome of these bashers try to do just one competive game with a stand full of fans. 2 coaches hollering at you 200 fans hollering at you while you are trying to call balls and strikes. ball 8 inches off the plate and the catcher tries to frame it to make it look like a strike. Tigerman I have a mask if you want to borrow it.

Hey baseball, been there done that many moons ago.

First thing I was taught, tune out the fans. Rabbit ears can lead to

nothing good !!

Did I miss some things ? Sure I did. But I learned to work hard to

stay in good position to have the best angles possible to do my best

to get it right. And after I made a call that made 1/2 the crowd happy & 1/2

the crowd mad I held my spot on the field & turned my ears off.

That's what's wrong with several umps today. They're so inconsistent

they open themselves for questioning & pleading by coaches & then when

the fans start riding them they're ready to get somebody. Same's

true with basketball.

Officiating in our state has gone way DOWN in recent years. And I've

been following sports for five decades now.

An ump may have the right to clear a stadium as was threatened last night,

but it had better be for a whole lot more than having someone get on you

for a shaky at best call.

Ironically, same call appealed last night was identical to one Tuesday night

against Giles County, when the base umpire refused to ask for help from

the plate umpire who MIGHT have had the better view of the play. Can

you say inconsistent ?

If I was a coach I'd go nuts.