Money for state

runfast

Those of you who have qualified for the state track meet, please tell me how your school pays for you to go. Does the booster club have to come up with money or does the school pay all expenses? Does TSSAA give money to schools who have athletes qualify for state competitions?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSSAA gives you $0 for state expenses. They have a sweet deal with the host city. Where the money goes, who knows. At any event you host they take their cut off the top, then you pay expenses. I see why it is called the T$$AA The school must pay their own expenses. We have won the last 2 state titles in girls track and runner -up in boys the last 2 years also. For our success it cost us over $7000 dollars (transportation, hotels, and meals). Being good is expensive.

QUOTE(Galilee @ May - 03:20 PM) 826459636[/snapback]Being good is expensive.

I'm with you. Fortunately, our school picks up the tab for our State trips in whatever sport makes it to State, meaning that our overloaded Boosters don't pick up that tab.

We are fortunate. My best friend coaches at another very successful local school, and he has to find a way to pay for it himself. He even won a state title last year, and still he has to do that.

I wonder what TSSAA gives to football teams who make it to the Clinic Bowl...

I shouldn't be saying this but apparently our girl (racing the 32 on wednesday and then thursday) "can go home after the meet" (back to Chattanooga) and then come back on Thursday in time for the races. It's totally absurd. I'm pretty sure the pole vaulter's and my hotel thursday night will be taken care of since our events are somewhat early on Friday morning.

Since 2002, we have played in the Clinic Bowl, Boys Basketball Tournament 3 times and stae track. Our payout from the state for a total of all events, $5300. Our expenses $23,000. You do the math. At the end of each school year if athletics is in the red I get a write up. We have to be very creative in rasing funds at Mitchell.

QUOTE(runfast @ May 13 2007 - 10:23 PM) 826458716[/snapback]Those of you who have qualified for the state track meet, please tell me how your school pays for you to go. Does the booster club have to come up with money or does the school pay all expenses? Does TSSAA give money to schools who have athletes qualify for state competitions?

I went to state last year and im going to state this year my school does pay for my team to go to state.

My old high school saves money by backpacking to the meet and sleeping in tents. They get food by going through the dumpsters at the meet. You would be surprised at what folks throw away. If some kind soul will let them set up camp in their backyard the cost per athlete comes to $1.27 per day. Under the previous coach you had to watch for change as you hiked to the meet and sometimes you would find enough to come home with some pennies.

QUOTE(Galilee @ May 15 2007 - 09:05 PM) 826459854[/snapback]Since 2002, we have played in the Clinic Bowl, Boys Basketball Tournament 3 times and stae track. Our payout from the state for a total of all events, $5300. Our expenses $23,000. You do the math. At the end of each school year if athletics is in the red I get a write up. We have to be very creative in rasing funds at Mitchell.

This is not fair to the students or the coaches. If a school fields a team, school administration should make sure the team has funding to participate as far as they qualify.

I know this is not news but it is a shame.

I believe the TSSAA pays your school for mileage costs and the number of athletes you bring. It isn't much but it is something. The thing that gripes me the most is that the Hotels and Motels bump up their rates at this time of year. I called last week on a hotel and was quoted 1 price, but since things are filling up in the "Boro, they have now jumped their prices up to 10.00 more per room. The TSSAA should do something about that, don't you think? I know it will cost my team around 1900 to go to the meet. We have the money in our account, because we host 3 big meets and our kids get out and help raise around 2500 to 3000 per year. This is just my take on things as far as the spring fling goes. Hotel costs are OUTRAGEOUS!

QUOTE(macdaddy @ May 17 2007 - 10:30 AM) 826461031[/snapback]I believe the TSSAA pays your school for mileage costs and the number of athletes you bring.

In certain cases the T$$AA will pay mileage costs, but for most teams they do not. I believe this was when the Spring Fling was in Memphis and there were schools in NE TN that were travelling over 8 hours to get there, but even then the amount they were "reimbursed" by the T$$AA was negligable. A couple stories I heard (and you know how these go, they may or may not be true):

A school from the Tri-Cities area was sent a check for 32 cents to cover their travel costs.

Another school from somewhere in the east never received there check. They called the T$$AA about it and were told that the check was not being sent because the postage exceeded the amount.

Again, I have no idea whether these are actually true, but they were told to me at a coaches meeting a couple years ago. I guess the general idea here is you pay your own way, the T$$AA needs every cent they can get to pay their legal fees.

QUOTE(AEtheridge @ May 15 2007 - 05:52 PM) 826459682[/snapback]I'm with you. Fortunately, our school picks up the tab for our State trips in whatever sport makes it to State, meaning that our overloaded Boosters don't pick up that tab.

We are fortunate. My best friend coaches at another very successful local school, and he has to find a way to pay for it himself. He even won a state title last year, and still he has to do that.

I wonder what TSSAA gives to football teams who make it to the Clinic Bowl...

The $10 tickets sold at the high schools going to the Blue Cross Bowl are split with the TSSAA. TSSAA get it all of the entire $10 on tickets purchased at the gate. Both teams gets a trophy.

QUOTE(khia127 @ May 16 2007 - 04:48 PM) 826460415[/snapback]I went to state last year and im going to state this year my school does pay for my team to go to state.

Our school is paying half the room cost and a per meal allowance for each athlete. I guess they expect us to walk! We live 4 hrs. away. Good thing our booster club can pick up the rest or I don't know what we would do! I think the school should pay for transportation any time an athlete earns a trip to a state competition.