CPA/CAK game

tnfootball99

QUOTE(bramblehood @ May 22 2007 - 08:48 PM) 826464870[/snapback]this seems kind of odd right before a state tournament game

Thanks to CPA for being such great hosts! Our guys had a wonderful time, as did the coaching staff. I think they made a lot of friends and some fun memories (even our poor bus driver!) Should be a super game tomorrow.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to some outsiders, it may seem odd to see two teams about to compete at the state level come together before the match. I remember a few years ago thinking "its easy to be nice and classy when you win all the time", but I have seen this side of CAK that is totally honest and caring about what is important in life. We held a devotional together two years ago, and I apologize to CAK for not asking to do it again, I just plain forgot to ask if you'd be interested. Our teams prayed together and then went out and played hard and to win. This is so rare in sports that some who see this may just think it is window dressing. But no one in attendance will every question their devotion to more important things and I respect that so much. Does this mean you just lay down for your opponent, no way! But what is wrong with celebrating your faith before or after a match. I think it teaches a great lesson in life. Someday these young men, no matter how amazing, will be in the real world and we want them to be great persons who influence everyone they meet. good luck to both teams in the quarters. G, hope brandon and thomas are both healthy enough to compete.

After hearing what went down last night between the two teams I am forced to change my prediction. CPA-2 CAK-1

As unfortunate as it is for me to say this, the show of good sportsmanship by both teams may have cost CAK their playoff run. In any conflict or competition, whether for sport or something else, certain specific factors play into the victory of one side or the other. In the case of CAK vs. CPA the most important factors for victory or defeat are coaching, talent, physical athleticism, and, the most crucial, mindset. History shows us time and time again of teams that are outmatched physically, numerically, or technologically that overcome these areas of weakness with a strong and unrelenting mindset. Prime examples of this are the U.S. Hockey victory over Russia at Lake Placid in 1980, the Russian survival and eventual victory at Stalingrad during WWII, and the Battle of the Alamo. Granted this is high school soccer and not war, the same principle applies.

The CAK war-machine has won the A/AA state championship the last 4 years. CAK is not seen as a team of destiny, or a Cinderella story, but as an unstoppable stampede of brute soccer force and dominance that seems heck bent on a 5-peat. Being from different regions of the state, CPA has seen little of the CAK players or team in general. Both teams were gripped with a feeling of uncertainty and possible fear of their opponent, with the play and championships of the CAK team the last 5 years giving this mental edge to the warriors. Prior to this dinner the CPA players had heard the hype, done their research, and understood that they were going up against what can best be described as a soccer juggernaut. CAK was not seen as a group of mere high school men, but as a cohesive force of speed, talent, and perfection.

This dinner gathering humanized a formerly machine-like organism, removing these crucial conceptions from the minds of the CPA players. The CPA players may have before been hesitant to make tough passes, or engage one of the well oiled parts of the CAK pain-train because of this mindset of inferiority. They now see the CAK team as a group of young men, not so unlike themselves, that can be beaten. They no longer see CAK as an eloquent and yet powerfully unstoppable drove of mother buffalo, but as a group of highschool men with attributes of both strength and weakness. When a team loses its mental edge, regardless of the source of or motivations that drive this loss, the road ahead becomes far more difficult, and formerly easy wins become tough losses. I respect the show of sportsmanship by both teams, but in a situation involving two distant teams in the state tournament I think the opponent dinner parties are better left to the cheerleaders(yes, I know that soccer doesn't have any).

Come on people! Chill. There is no hidden agenda here.

Why do people think it is strange that 2 teams get together for a meal? I think it is great that these 2 teams get together away from the playing field. I am sure this was more fun for CAK than sitting around some hotel.

I think we should congratulate BigG, OnlineLC and CPA's coach, Brett Armstrong, for pulling this off.

I think that high school sports should be about healthy competition. I am sure neither team will compete any less fiercely tonight. You always want to beat your friends. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Bubba61..........WHAT?!?! Let me assure you as a recipient of carnage caused by the "CAK Pain-Train" /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> , that aforementioned "war machine" (seriously brother, where did you get this?) IS well oiled. As for engaging in a meal before meeting on the field of "battle", well, it is refreshing to say the least. Wish there were more teams that took the initutive to think that far ahead. By the way, everybody there is human and infallible.....and kids know that much better that adults, so I doubt CPA was surprised to find that the other side was composed of humans too! Bubba are you from the South? Ain't you ever heard of Southern Hospitality?!?! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> How did it turn out, G? (the game today)

Kaz