Preds appear to be sold

If I am to take him at his word, all we need to do is average 14k fans and the team is ours....

Bettman says Predators not moving

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer

Mon May 28, 7:47 PM

ANAHEIM, Calif. - NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Monday that even if the sale of the Nashville Predators goes through, the franchise ``is not going anywhere.''

Craig Leipold has signed a letter of intent to sell the Predators to Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie for $220 million after losing $70 million in 10 years of ownership.

The terms of the sale, which must be approved by three-fourths of the NHL's board of governors, call for the deal to be completed by June 30.

Bettman said he met with Balsillie last week and asked whether the co-CEO of Blackberry makers Research in Motion Ltd. had intentions to relocate the franchise.

``He told me that he did not,'' Bettman said before Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals between Ottawa and Anaheim.

``What's clear to me from meeting with Mr. Balsillie is he's passionate about the game, he'd like to own a franchise and certainly has the resources to do it. Beyond that, there have been no promises, there have been no predictions.''

The Predators finished third in the league standings this season with a franchise-record 110 points, but averaged 13,815 in paid attendance.

Leipold has until June 19 to exercise a ``cure'' clause in Nashville's arena lease that would force the city to buy tickets and ensure attendance averages 14,000 next season. Leipold said he has not yet discussed with Balsillie whether to exercise that clause, but will speak to Balsillie.

Balsillie would have to sign a consent agreement with the NHL, including a clause that prevents a new owner from relocating the team for seven years. But an arena lease would have to be in effect to force the new owner to follow that league requirement.

Averaging 14,000 paid attendance in 2007-08 would keep the lease in effect.

``If the attendance mark is satisfied, even if it's not, or if the city cures what would then be the default, this team is not going anywhere,'' Bettman said.

``There is a lease and sports leagues aren't in the practice of letting teams violate their leases. I believe Mr. Balsillie understands that. It's conceivable that this team will be in Nashville as long as its lease.''

Leipold has said he hopes Balsillie's business skill can tap into the corporate support he never found to make a profit.

``This team suffering is due to a lack of corporate support,'' said Bettman, adding that more individuals own season tickets than corporations in Nashville, which he said is unique among NHL cities.

Meanwhile, coverage of this year's finals is being affected by cost-cutting in the U.S. newspaper industry.

Only four of the 24 U.S. NHL markets outside the Los Angeles area are being represented by newspapers during Games 1 and 2 in Anaheim. They are: The New York Times, (New York) Daily News, Philadelphia Inquirer, Denver Post and Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Bettman said that doesn't represent a decline from last year to this year. ``Our numbers this year are about what they were last year,'' he said.

The commissioner mentioned the challenges facing newspapers in an increasing digital age, including fans' ability to get news from the Internet and hand-held devices.

``That's probably one of the reasons the newspaper industry is having the problems it is,'' he said.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(dandy82 @ May 29 2007 - 01:29 PM) 826468766[/snapback]Fromthetop2..... This is probably the most truthful and articulate post I have ever read.....And so true....

True but the NHL has been a trainwreck in terms of how it's been marketed since the strike. I'd love to see the Preds stay in NashVegas just to keep a major sports team in Tennessee. I don't care for hockey but to be fair I've never been to a game. It's like golf. I can't stand to watch it on TV but going to an actual PGA event is great. I could see myself getting into a hockey game if I'm there.

Fromthetop 2 is right in that everything comes down to money but I do think that fact the people don't identify with hockey has at least something to do with it. Not the the major factor mind you but not a non-factor either

It is on the Versus channel. You have to scroll through all of the channels to find where it is on your cable/satellite network.

The game last night was outstanding, albeit 1-0. Lots of intensity and hitting and incredible goaltending.

It appeared to me that Anaheim took control midway throught the first period and never let up.

The Senators tired out, but tried their darndest to score. The Ducks just came up with all of the loose pucks and the goal that was scored was artistry.

Check out a replay if you can.

Excellent hockey the first two games.

QUOTE(ERA @ May 24 2007 - 09:59 AM) 826465941[/snapback]Preds are Dead! Book It!! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Billionaires call there own destiny. Nashville is not lucrative.

Like I said before, Preds Are Dead! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

The Nashville Talk Radio circuit have been discussing nothing but the Preds since the sale was announced.

They appear to want to step out in front and try and save this thing. The Chamber, the Downtown Business Association, etc., are all waking up to this fact.

They want to save it more for what it would do for Nashville/Middle Tennesse/Tennessee's reputation if they left, IMO, then it is to save hockey per se.

And in that fact, they are dead on.

Balsillie may be hedging his bets, or maybe he's playing us all for suckers. Time will tell. There are scenarios that make sense in every way this thing is turning. Maybe Balsillie is the type of owner that the business community would support, at least more so than Leopold.

Bottom line is, the city can't afford to lose this franchise. They just now, at the 11th hour, are getting it!

QUOTE(Solomon @ May 28 2007 - 09:11 PM) 826468581[/snapback]Sorry ERA, the non-hockey guy on the boards had to come in with a dose of reality about the situation.

Sol, your glass looks half empty instead of half full. There is enough half empty glasses because it is the popular choice but in business world, the outlook should be half full, even in the darkest hours. It applies in sports as well. If you think you have no hope of winning, no hope exists to win.

My philosophy on life is to take the negative and make it a positive as well as the worst thing could happen, turn it around to make it the best thing. Crazy, some say but it works for me and help me face the new day with a positive outlook.

QUOTE(fromthetop2 @ May 31 2007 - 10:08 PM) 826469927[/snapback]The Nashville Talk Radio circuit have been discussing nothing but the Preds since the sale was announced.

They appear to want to step out in front and try and save this thing. The Chamber, the Downtown Business Association, etc., are all waking up to this fact.

They want to save it more for what it would do for Nashville/Middle Tennesse/Tennessee's reputation if they left, IMO, then it is to save hockey per se.

And in that fact, they are dead on.

Balsillie may be hedging his bets, or maybe he's playing us all for suckers. Time will tell. There are scenarios that make sense in every way this thing is turning. Maybe Balsillie is the type of owner that the business community would support, at least more so than Leopold.

Bottom line is, the city can't afford to lose this franchise. They just now, at the 11th hour, are getting it!

We have lost too many venues already.... Imo, hockey in Nashville needs to be marketed differently than hockey in NY or Boston. We need to appeal to the small business who could spend 25-50K if the value is there. Not everybody can afford 100K for their name on the backer board surrounding the ice or 100K for a luxery box.

This is not a fan issue, it is a marketing issue. We have the fans but have not created the need for business.... We seem to be stuck on the Nissans, gaylords and a few others in their lack of support. I say fine. Create packages geared to the small and medium business. Truthfully, we are not NYC, Boston or Toronto. We are a small city who needs to understand our own customer (business) base, so to speak. We have not taken advantage of what makes Nashville, well, Nashville. I hope it is not too late. We seem to be waking up, but it takes more because the problem needs to be corrected.

The Preds have done an outstanding job creating ticket packages, several, that appeal to the individual.... They worked. The Preds have done poorly, imo, creating the same type of plans for the small business, who have advertising dollars to spend, but obviously do not realize the benefit the Preds can offer, and I attribute that fact to poor packages, or no packages, to induce small business....We got a good product, now we just others to realize it. Maybe Basillie is the man to make it happen. He obviously has a good product and good marketing, but we gotta prove to him, it will be his team, that he has a great location in Nashville.

• 2 weeks later...