Proof that we need to implement the Limbaugh Plan?

davidlimbaugh

By going to a best 2 out of 3 series in the sectionals it would prove which team has the best staff and not the best #1 pitcher. There is no doubt that David's plan would have a positive result in two different areas:

1. Teams would work to have a staff and not try to schedule their district games where their #1 & #2 would throw all of their games.

2. The TSSAA & participating schools would receive more money due to the extra games. This would be playoff baseball and the crowds would be huge which means larger gates, parking and concessions.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(catsbackr @ May 25 2007 - 07:21 AM) 826466723[/snapback]I'd try a different comparison, J. Softball, the sport itself in tournament play, does not identify the best team at all. Softball tournaments, all the way through NCAA, identify the team with the best pitcher, period. Find another comparison.

My suggestion would be, after the final 8 teams are set, to seed them. The seeding formula wouldn't be perfect, but it would be better than what we have now with the possibility of the 2 best teams facing each other early.

Hey, I'm open to anything the finds the best team and that is another way. You are right though about softball, it basically is who has the best pitcher, even if they only have one, but their format is what I like.

QUOTE(JPeterman @ May 24 2007 - 12:21 PM) 826466074[/snapback]As an added comment: Why should it be possible to lose a game and still win the Championship over a team with no losses? The tournament should be a true double elimination tournament using the softball brackets. You would get a true Champion that way. Now whoever wins and the runner up can both have one loss( that is stupid to the 12th power).

same bracket as the SEC and the NCAA World Series (which is where the SEC got it from)

now we have district tourney's run this way... that is stupid

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 24 2007 - 09:35 AM) 826465918[/snapback]11-0

14-3

11-1

12-3

10-0

11-1

19-1

15-1

11-10

14-11

18-5

11-0

13-1

15-5

10-2

18-10

16 out of the 40 games played so far in the 2007 Spring Fling have had one or both teams score in double figures.

The current 'playoff system' benefits teams with one great pitcher, not teams with a deep

pitching staff.

The toughest part of the current 'playoff system' is getting out of the district. If you can

clear that hurdle, then your #1 just has to win on Monday and Friday and you are in the

state tournament. Of courser, ypur #1 probably threw two games in the district tournament,

probably throwing that second game on 2 or 3 days rest, and may have even thrown some

more in relieft, and then throws on Monday and then on Friday on 3 days rest (check out

the post-season #s of Major League pitchers on 3 days rest) and then come back on

Tuesday in the state tournament on 3 days rest and then throws on Friday on 2 days rest.

Oh, that record for grown men on 3 days rest in the post season? Totals: 1-9, 8.81 ERA with 94 hits in 64.1 IP - Ouch!

The Limbaugh Plan?

'Adjoining' districts 1 and 2s play each other at alternating 1's locations on odd and even years. Lets take this year's 7AAA and 8AAA for an example.

This is an odd year, and Oakland won 7-AAA so they would be the host site.

On a Saturday, 7AAAA #2 (Cookeville) would play 8AAA #1 (Coffee Co) and then 8AAA #2 (Lawrence Co) would play Oakland

On Sunday afternoon the losers meet

On Monday, the winners meet

On Tuesday, the Sunday winner meets the Monday loser

On Wednesday The Tuesday winner plays the Monday winner and must win twice - winner goes to Spring Fling

This is a new modified Limbaugh Plan to accomodate schools without lights. If the site has lights, that Sunday game

could be part of a doubleheader on Monday.

Then we start Spring Fling on Tuesday and end it on Saturday.

This would be far more fair to two different groups. #1 pitchers - they won't throw their arm off as much - and to

teams that have a lot of #2s and #3s but not a great #1...

and maybe we won't see so many slow-pitch softball scores at what is supposed to be the best of the best playing

for a state championship? Ya think?

This is a great idea! Means more baseball...and who doesn't want more baseball!

QUOTE(CUBCADET @ May 25 2007 - 07:39 AM) 826466734[/snapback]David, you are correct, in the fact that most teams do just use their #3 or #4 in the weekend tourneys. I would love to see the spring fling, and I know this is NOT possible, get to the championship game point and then give all the teams 3 days rest. This would give the teams pitching as well as all their other minor injuries the players may have (soreness, sprains, etc.) time to heal a little bit. Then, the teams could walk on the field "for the winner take all" with all their guns fully loaded and it would be a better example of which TEAM is better overall. BUT keep in mind the old saying about..."on a given day,etc.....

Once again, I said I know this is NOT possible at this level. It might make for a more exciting championship game if something like this could be done..It is a shame that the postseason has to be crammed into such a small time frame, and a lot of teams do not have enough pitching to maybe take them all the way. I guess what I am saying is something we all agree on, I think, there is NO one perfect way to do this, dont you agree, David. But I really like your plan...You got my vote.

U DA MAN>>>LIMBAUGH!!!

It's just my opinion...but I thought the AA Championship game was about as exciting as you could get...Low scoring, extra innings, great fielding by both teams.....what more do you want?

QUOTE(BaseballthruNthru @ May 26 2007 - 02:54 PM) 826467574[/snapback]It's just my opinion...but I thought the AA Championship game was about as exciting as you could get...Low scoring, extra innings, great fielding by both teams.....what more do you want?

I agree! But I am trying to fix the system that gets teams to the Spring Fling. What if USJ met a team on a Monday night that had a kid throw in the low 90's, hit his spots and had a ++ Curveball - a righthander from Huntingdon comes to mind... and USJ, with all their talent, gets beat 1-0 in 8 innings on a Monday night. And then

that other team, with only that one kid who can even throw the ball 60 feet, 6 inches, goes on to lose on Wednesday, goes to Goodpasture on Friday, and the same 6'2 righthander drops that hammer down and beats Goodpasture 1-0 in 9 innings. Now you have USJ and Goodpasture sitting at home (See 2007 Oakland) and a team with one good pitcher going to Spring Fling. They win their first game 2-0, and then get beat 28-2, 16-4 and goes home. See what I mean?

Look at Lookout Valley this year:

http://www.tssaa.org/2006Champions/StateBa...lassA/State.htm

They win 11-0 over Cascade

They beat Jackson Christian 3-1

their next two games?

They lose 26-0 to the same team they beat 3-1 and then lose 19-6 to that same team again.

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 27 2007 - 09:25 AM) 826467963[/snapback]I agree! But I am trying to fix the system that gets teams to the Spring Fling. What if USJ met a team on a Monday night that had a kid throw in the low 90's, hit his spots and had a ++ Curveball - a righthander from Huntingdon comes to mind... and USJ, with all their talent, gets beat 1-0 in 8 innings on a Monday night. And then

that other team, with only that one kid who can even throw the ball 60 feet, 6 inches, goes on to lose on Wednesday, goes to Goodpasture on Friday, and the same 6'2 righthander drops that hammer down and beats Goodpasture 1-0 in 9 innings. Now you have USJ and Goodpasture sitting at home (See 2007 Oakland) and a team with one good pitcher going to Spring Fling. They win their first game 2-0, and then get beat 28-2, 16-4 and goes home. See what I mean?

Look at Lookout Valley this year:

http://www.tssaa.org/2006Champions/StateBa...lassA/State.htm

They win 11-0 over Cascade

They beat Jackson Christian 3-1

their next two games?

They lose 26-0 to the same team they beat 3-1 and then lose 19-6 to that same team again.

Alright, I see what you mean...however I think this is one of the reasons USJ plays a lot of AAA school during the season. They see better pitching and prepare for what might come...that doesn't mean they can't get beat...it just means they prepare for worse case scenario..Everyone always comes gunning for us and brings their best, it never fails....For the most part we have just had the experience to step up....By the way who did LV beat to get out of thier district, region, and sectional?