Bearden v Farragut State Finals

defaultuser

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a hard thing for folks outside of Knoxville to understand how these two teams seam to always be on a cusp of a State Championship.

Just a few miles apart and having 4 top private school Soccer Powers in the same area pulling from the talent pool. Wow!

Congrats to both programs.

Go Admirals!

this is a hard one. I'll have to go with Farragut 1-0. Backstrom and Russell are just to good for Bearden's defense. Don't get me wrong, Bearden's defense is very strong especially with Walker back there, but he got hurt last night and hopefully he will be healed by Saturday. But, Ruiz and Radcliff have the potiental to shut down Farrragut's mid-field and control the game. If they do this I think they will win 2-0 with Radcliff and Schoenfield getting a goal. This game should be very physical and I think Bearden will have 3 yellows and Farragut will have 2. If the starters and players can't play smart and get a red that could loose the game for them. Good luck both teams.

QUOTE(twinkletoes14 @ May 25 2007 - 09:57 AM) 826466794[/snapback]this is a hard one. I'll have to go with Farragut 1-0. Backstrom and Russell are just to good for Bearden's defense. Don't get me wrong, Bearden's defense is very strong especially with Walker back there, but he got hurt last night and hopefully he will be healed by Saturday. But, Ruiz and Radcliff have the potiental to shut down Farrragut's mid-field and control the game. If they do this I think they will win 2-0 with Radcliff and Schoenfield getting a goal. This game should be very physical and I think Bearden will have 3 yellows and Farragut will have 2. If the starters and players can't play smart and get a red that could loose the game for them. Good luck both teams.

I don't think you'll see many yellows. The past two years of Brdn-Farr soccer is nothing like it use to be. It's a lot less brutal and IMO better soccer than it used to be 3-5 yrs ago. Most of the yellows have come from stupid fouls not mean fouls.

As far as Brdn's defense, their backline rarely gets the credit they deserve, especially the two srs, Cooke and Wyrick. This is true for all good soccer teams, farragut included. Most 1-0 soccer games are won by the defenders not by the one guy that gets a score, but those backline guys rarely get the credit. I suppose partly because it's difficult for the stats guys to put a number on it. Just my 2 cents as the father of a defender.

It is great to see Knoxville being represented! This is going to be a great game. Being a state finals game will make both teams ready and focused, and the fact that it is Bearden vs. Farragut makes these players even more focused. I think this game will go into overtime with Farragut pulling out with a 2-1 victory. Best of luck to both teams. You have made Knoxville proud!

QUOTE(Bulldog Dad @ May 25 2007 - 08:32 AM) 826466819[/snapback]I don't think you'll see many yellows. The past two years of Brdn-Farr soccer is nothing like it use to be. It's a lot less brutal and IMO better soccer than it used to be 3-5 yrs ago. Most of the yellows have come from stupid fouls not mean fouls.

Less brutal? Definitely. Better soccer? Not sure about that. One thing I have noticed about Beaden and Farragut as compared to 3-5 years ago is that the overall talent level now is not near what it was a few years back. Just goes to show how good the coaching is that both teams are still tops in the State.

QUOTE(Seldon @ May 25 2007 - 09:48 AM) 826466870[/snapback]Less brutal? Definitely. Better soccer? Not sure about that. One thing I have noticed about Beaden and Farragut as compared to 3-5 years ago is that the overall talent level now is not near what it was a few years back. Just goes to show how good the coaching is that both teams are still tops in the State.

Seldon, let me guess, you are a former Bearden of farragut player from 3-5 years ago? Of course you think the level was better then /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> All of us think we were better when we played. I have been watching since then, and there is some difference. I think there were a few standout players on those teams that were better than anyone on todays Beaden of Farragut, but I think the overall depth of talent is better today on these teams and all across Knoxville.

QUOTE(uniden @ May 25 2007 - 10:38 AM) 826466917[/snapback]Seldon, let me guess, you are a former Bearden of farragut player from 3-5 years ago? Of course you think the level was better then /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> All of us think we were better when we played.

Then you'd be quessing wrong, uniden. I've been watching Bearden and Farragut (never played for either) since the mid 90s and I believe it is safe to say that, between the two teams, the period between 2001-2004 was and is unparalleled in the total accumulation of talent. Ask either coach and they will tell you the same. It was an abberition and will quite possibly never be seen again. In 2003 alone, there were 10 All Staters between the two.

In addition, look at the interest the games drew back then as compared to the last couple of years. There was TV coverage at every game, headlines in the paper, and probably 50% larger crowds. Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of talent out there and some darned good soccer, but that 3-4 year period was exceptional.

QUOTE(Seldon @ May 25 2007 - 01:28 PM) 826466948[/snapback]Then you'd be quessing wrong, uniden. I've been watching Bearden and Farragut (never played for either) since the mid 90s and I believe it is safe to say that, between the two teams, the period between 2001-2004 was and is unparalleled in the total accumulation of talent. Ask either coach and they will tell you the same. It was an abberition and will quite possibly never be seen again. In 2003 alone, there were 10 All Staters between the two.

In addition, look at the interest the games drew back then as compared to the last couple of years. There was TV coverage at every game, headlines in the paper, and probably 50% larger crowds. Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of talent out there and some darned good soccer, but that 3-4 year period was exceptional.

I agree with you. When my brother was at Farragut between 1999-2003 I went to a few of the games with him to see his friends play. I can't really compare the talent from then to now because I saw very few games back then, but the crowds were definitely larger. I remember seeing tv trucks everywhere for the 3 Farragut/Bearden games I went to. This year in the 2 FHS/BHS games I have gone to, I have seen 1 tv truck. I wonder if the news people are just getting tired of covering the same teams over and over. The sports coverage seems to get worse every year with the news. The KNS is kind of getting better with the "prep-xtra" thing, but it is still lacking. I think if the KNS spent as much effort covering sports other than football as they do covering Maryville football it would be 10X better.

QUOTE(uniden @ May 25 2007 - 11:38 AM) 826466917[/snapback]Seldon, let me guess, you are a former Bearden of farragut player from 3-5 years ago? Of course you think the level was better then /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> All of us think we were better when we played. I have been watching since then, and there is some difference. I think there were a few standout players on those teams that were better than anyone on todays Beaden of Farragut, but I think the overall depth of talent is better today on these teams and all across Knoxville.

Uniden-IMHO the 2 teams are smaller and yes less brutal than 3-5 years ago. The first FHS/BHS 2000 game I saw was the most brutal soccer I had seen at the HS level. I hated Bearden and Coach Turner when my son was a Freshman and we had just moved to Knoxville. Over the years I've learned to enjoy his teams and their style.

There is great talent on both teams and the private school teams in West Knoxville. My son played Soccer for Clarksville, Chattanooga and the Tri-Cities area teams prior to coming to Farragut. There were great players and coaches in every area and by far West Knoxville had the greatest talent pool that we had seen in any area.

The National Championship Teams for both Farragut and Bearden had some great players and I remember their teams being deep with all the Young men they had playing in the playoffs the last 3 years. Ask Little Backstroms if his brother's team was talented. If I remember correctly his brother did not letter as a freshman or soph on those teams but was a heck of a player.

Farragut was the only school that I know of that had a Freshman, JV and Var soccer squads back then.

Good luck to the Ads and Coach.

Maybe there aren't as many TV trucks because some are choosing to go to the CAK vs Knox Catholic games as well. Back then, it was not a big district and region game like it is now, since Knox Catholic was in D2.

But I do agree, I saw Bearden play this year in the Mcminn Tournament, and it was nothing like the teams I saw Bearden and Farragut have in 2002 when I played club soccer with most of those guys. Those teams were rediculous in talent. Or maybe its just because I'm getting old. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />