Bearden v Farragut State Finals

defaultuser

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 28 2007 - 09:08 PM) 826468594[/snapback]That is true. I will say that the Farragut/Bearden game a few years ago, I think in 2003, in the regional final, also won by Farragut 5-4, was one of the better games I have seen.

Actually, that 2003 game was the District final, and it was the most exciting game I have ever seen. But Coach Culbreth said this one was even more exciting, so I'll have to take his word for it since I didn't get to witness it.

QUOTE(Seldon @ May 29 2007 - 05:17 PM) 826468819[/snapback]Actually, that 2003 game was the District final, and it was the most exciting game I have ever seen. But Coach Culbreth said this one was even more exciting, so I'll have to take his word for it since I didn't get to witness it.

Yeah you are right. I knew it was either district final or region. I think on the news Coach Culbreth said it was the regional final, not sure though. Either way it was one exciting game.

Edit: I wonder if "what's up" is going to put that video up. I hope he puts up the goals too.

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 29 2007 - 11:23 AM) 826468720[/snapback]Have you seen what happened? It wasn't like he ran to the Bearden kid while he was on the ground and did the gesture. Ben did as he was walking to his position for the free kick, then the ref saw it and asked him to come here and Ben did it again. No matter what you want to say he did, he got a 2 yellows and not a straight red. end of story. lets not get this thread closed.

Yes, I attended the game. Anyway you slice it or dice it this should have been a straight red and no substitute allowed. Check the high school rulebook page 55, Rule 12, section 8, article 3b. "A player, coach, or bench personnel shall be disqualified (red card) for: Taunting- use of word or act to incite or degrade an opposing player, coach, referee or other individual."

I don't think there is any question what was done qualifies under this definition; actually there was use of word AND act.

Look, this was probably the best high school game I've ever seen with incredibly talented players on both sides. My point is that this was an incorrect call by a center ref in a state championship game due to either misapplication of or lack of knowledge of the rules. This ref also centered the A/AA final last year. I hope that TSSAA uses this situation to improve referee education and that this ref's local association also addresses it in their meetings. This is a basic application of the rules and not a judgement call; therefore this kind of error should not be ignored by TSSAA and their assigning officials.

By the way, if anyone has a tape/dvd of this game or knows where to get one, please post it. Thanks.

QUOTE(MD4Sports @ May 29 2007 - 05:31 PM) 826468825[/snapback]Yes, I attended the game. Anyway you slice it or dice it this should have been a straight red and no substitute allowed. Check the high school rulebook page 55, Rule 12, section 8, article 3b. "A player, coach, or bench personnel shall be disqualified (red card) for: Taunting- use of word or act to incite or degrade an opposing player, coach, referee or other individual."

When you say the rule it makes more sense for me to understand that it could/should have been a straight red, but when someone just says taunting..that can mean many different things and that would be up the the official to make a call. There is not a whole lot we can do about it now other than argue over it. I guess it was rigged eh?

in the sectionals this year, one of the players on my team got called for taunting and only got a single yellow. refs make mistakes. besides, what's done is done. you can't change it by arguing about it so just quit. I got to see the game. I'm completely unbiased (I play in A/AA so I have no favorite) and they were just the better team that night. it was an incredible game. leave it at that

QUOTE(atdenton @ May 29 2007 - 10:05 PM) 826468872[/snapback]all of you are right. i don't think it was a missapplication of the rules i just think that the center wanted to keep everybody in the game and he gave the guy a chance because everyone gets caught up in the emotions of whats going on. i'm not saying either way what it should have been but i'm just saying good officials will try and keep players in the game. he tried to get him to knock it off but he repeated the act. high school rules are rules and we all can think what you want. i think i'm the only one in the place to think that second goal was offside but i think a whole crowd thought differently. i mean just think if that goal counted it would have went to overtime. but the fans are always right because the see and believe what they want to.

What 2nd goal? Farragut's 1st goal?

edit: I thought "what's up" was going to post this stuff on youtube.

Thanks, but is there a way you can show farther than the "stepping on the foot", like I don't the fall and all that? You might as well show the gesture too. Also if it isn't too much to ask do you mind putting up the goals?

edit: I will say though, based on that it does look like he stepped on his foot. I was wrong.

QUOTE(atdenton @ May 30 2007 - 12:01 AM) 826468929[/snapback]one goal was called back because of offside. it would have made bearden 2-0 before farragut tied it up 1-1.

Ok I remember that. I wasn't sure if you were talking about that one or you were saying that 1 of the goals that counted was called back. I know what you mean now. I thought it was offsides. Mostly because I am a Farragut fan, but to me it looked like offsides.

edit: of course now that I go back a read your other post you said what if it would have counted. So I should have understood it the first time.

I'm not taking any sides here about any calls but I play for Farragut and I must say that the Center referee we had was incredible.He is probable the best ref I have ever had period. He knew how to control the game and keep both teams under control. Think about how hard it is to keep the players playing clean with all that adrenaline running through players systems. He reffed a fabulous game