Bearden v Farragut State Finals

defaultuser

I arrived when the score was 2-1 Bearden. Then within the 1st, 3 min I was there I watched Farragut put 2 in the net.

Bravo, bravo, bravo! GREAT GAME.

The last 10 min reminded me of some of the great Farragut/Bearden games from the past 7 years of watching these teams go at it.

I didn't see the gesture from the stands but the Bearden fan who threw a plastic bottle full of rocks and hit the Farragut girl showed as some have stated "I have never seen such a no-class act in front of that many people."

Besides that one of the best State Finals I have ever seen.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ May 26 2007 - 08:44 PM) 826467825[/snapback]I was at the game and was right behind the fence where that foul happened. As a Bearden fan- let me be the first to say that I also do not believe that the foul warrented a card, however- it was clearly a foul from behind, giving them a direct from there was a correct call. It was an amazing shot! I also got the header that Robert Fisher scored with a great series of pictures- I will forward those to the Fisher family as soon as they are developed. That header is my new "goal of the year". I was glad for Robert and his family...they are great people. Farragut played a great game- so did Bearden. I might never see another championship game have 9 goals scored again. It was the best high school game I have ever had the pleasure to watch. The worst part of it was watching Backstrom and his "obscene gesture". I have never seen such a no-class act in front of that many people. It was pathetic and I am embarrassed for the whole Farragut team. They earned the win in that game, and their entire team didn't need that type of display!! I have lost any respect for that kid and with that attitude and lack of poise, I do not think he will ever make it at the College level.

A hugh congat's to the Farragut team...especially for getting through the injuries earlier in the season and putting it all together!! As for Bearden- they won 25 games and made it to a Championship for the second year in a row- last year they won it! That is quite an accomplishment!! They will return another great team that should be back at the State Championships again next year. Beardens JV was undefeated and return a lot of great players. They have the strongest Freshman class coming in that I have ever seen!! Their future looks the same as always- bright!! As for Farragut, they lost 10 seniors- a lot to replace. They will again simply reload!!

I belive it was not a obscene gesture, but he also clowned on your son and the rest of the team. Your wife was the one who started a verbal arugument with the student of the Farragut. not to mention she flicked someone off. that is really classy... and ben had like 20 plus goals and 20 plus assists this year. enough said. but thanks

QUOTE(ValverdeTDF07 @ May 26 2007 - 11:19 PM) 826467903[/snapback]I will say that ben backstrom has always been a great player but has always had a temper. It's just something that comes with being as competative as he is.

well agreed. competors want to win. And the ref made an extremely bad call against him, which seems to happen and i bleive he was just frustrated... he just the called the kid out on diving, and it was just a double yellow for taunting. that is the high school rule. disagree with it but it is what it is.

QUOTE(braves4life @ May 26 2007 - 10:55 PM) 826467898[/snapback]ben backstrom is the man and i'm sure whoever received this "obsene gesture" deserved it...can anybody give a full explanation on what led up to this and exactly what the gesture was?

Preposterous. No one deserves a gesture.

Congrats to Farragut and Bearden both. I cannot fathom a 5-4 state championship game; it must have been crazy.

Congrats to Culbreth who I believe dedicated this season to his daughter.

Anyone have more details on the game?

QUOTE(braves4life @ May 27 2007 - 12:55 AM) 826467898[/snapback]ben backstrom is the man and i'm sure whoever received this "obsene gesture" deserved it...can anybody give a full explanation on what led up to this and exactly what the gesture was?

I'm not sure if he "deserved" it, but I thought it was a bad call by the ref. Backstrom just came up from behind the kid and the kid new he was going to lose the ball so he fell down. The ref called a foul and Ben was just telling the ref what he needed to be told.

I finally got a chance to post. I was at the game and boy was I glad I skipped going to Balitmore to see this game. What a great game. It was probably the best sporting event I have ever been to. A state championship was on the line, Farragut vs. Bearden, tons of people. It couldn't have been any better than that. I have to say when Farragut scored 2 goals in, according to the paper, 27 seconds I almost cried. The goals Farragut got from Russell and Fisher would have been a tie for my favorite goals of the season, but then that free kick with 2 minutes left in the game was just flat out ridiculous. BTW has anyone seen the picture that will be in the paper tomorrow, atleast it is on the prepxtra website. I think it is a little weird looking, but considering the circumstances it is alright. I wish WMAK would have taped both this game and the CAK game and just showed the FHS/BHS one on Sunday. I hope I can get a copy of it somehow. http://www.wbir.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=45643 click watch this video on the right hand side. I believe they show the final goal and a few others, but I am not sure. for some reason my comp. won't let me watch it. Congrats to Bearden on a great season. Congrats to Farragut pn winning state. By far the best game I have witnessed, other than Boise State beating Oklahoma in football, but I actually knew people playing in this game,fhs/bhs, so it makes it better. I think I will go ahead and say it now. Watch out for Moser next year.

Dins what kind of details are there? There were probably more cards handed out, more goals, more thrilling than most people expected. I think the shot count was about even, maybe with a slight advantage for Farragut. The momentum swings were crazy, Bearden up 2-1 at half then with 25minutes or so left Farragut scores 2 quick goals to put them up 3-2. Farragut scores again to make it 4-2. Bearden comes right back with 2 goals of their own to tie it. Then Farragut scoring the last goal on a free kick just outside of the box. Some fans were a little rowdy, but what do you expect? It is Farragut vs. Bearden. If you weren't there then you missed possibly the greatest high school soccer game played in the state of Tennessee in the last 10 years and maybe ever. I could watch it over and over again and it would be just as amazing the 100th time as it was being there in person.

I have to say though. I was a little annoyed by the police trying to keep the Farragut students off of the white plasitc fence. We just won state for crying out loud, plus it isn't like there was another game afterwards. Oh and the bottle full of rocks thing. Wow. How sad is that. From what I could tell the Bearden fans and apparently parents were starting just as much and probably more garbage with people than the Farragut fans. There was one Bearden parent who came and talked to the Farragut students at halftime, saying something like why aren't you all cheering? I looked for him after the game, but didn't see him. I was going to ask him the same thing. Other than all that though, it was a great game.

Does anyoe know if the match will be for sale?? When the Spring Fling was in Memphis, there were flyers for participants to purchase copies of matches. I would say that there are hundreds of us who could not make it that would LOVE to purchase a copy of what could be called "the greatest AAA final".

Please share if you have any info.

QUOTE(braves4life @ May 26 2007 - 11:55 PM) 826467898[/snapback]ben backstrom is the man and i'm sure whoever received this "obsene gesture" deserved it...can anybody give a full explanation on what led up to this and exactly what the gesture was?

I was told it was the gesture they use on the Sopranio's. Same thing you call a kitty cat!

I guess the Bearden player should get an Oscar instead! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ May 26 2007 - 10:44 PM) 826467825[/snapback]The worst part of it was watching Backstrom and his "obscene gesture". I have never seen such a no-class act in front of that many people. It was pathetic and I am embarrassed for the whole Farragut team. They earned the win in that game, and their entire team didn't need that type of display!! I have lost any respect for that kid and with that attitude and lack of poise, I do not think he will ever make it at the College level.

You wanna talk about classless?? Talk about your wife flicking off an 18 year old high school student and telling them to F off.... it looks like somebody is a little upset that their team lost. And for you what gives you any right to come on here and talk about ben like that? he is one of the top players in the state and he yes did get a little heated out there, but you have no right to get on coacht and bash him like that. word on the street is he has a good chance of starting his first year at western kentucky too. so quit talkin smack thats all you do... plus your like 60 get outta here.... if you want to talk about embarrassing stuff lets talk about you getting on coacht and bashing 18 yr old kids when your like 40..... why don't you just get a life and stop trying to stick up for your son!!!

I am sorry I didn't get to meet you pseudo..atleast I don't think I did. Atleast it is obvious that Bearden's "huge" field helped them out in the end eh? I think pseudo is a little upset. It was a tough game to lose, but the better team won. I still can't get over the 2 goals in 30 seconds on, probably, the best keeper in the state. What year is he anyways? If he is a senior is going to play college anywhere? Also for anyone else that was at the game.. Did you think the Bearden kid with long blondeish hair was annoying? The horn thing isn't annoying it was just they way he used it and how he was acting.