CBHS Parents!

defaultuser

I was at the CBHS vs. Baylor game (which Baylor won 1-0 as I called! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) and all of the CBHS parents were freaking crazy. They were yelling at their kids to "snap their necks!" and stuff like that and "what the h*ll ref" "get the d*mn ball" and a lot of other profane words and phrases. I thought this was a Christian school, so why would this stuff be going on? I was actually really amazed.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(defaultuser @ May 27 2007 - 02:39 PM) 826468091[/snapback]I was at the CBHS vs. Baylor game (which Baylor won 1-0 as I called! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) and all of the CBHS parents were freaking crazy. They were yelling at their kids to "snap their necks!" and stuff like that and "what the h*ll ref" "get the d*mn ball" and a lot of other profane words and phrases. I thought this was a Christian school, so why would this stuff be going on? I was actually really amazed.

It is a final and you know parents get into it. I don't excuse bad behavior ,but even Christians use nasty language. By the way, my son goes to Collierville.

QUOTE(defaultuser @ May 27 2007 - 01:39 PM) 826468091[/snapback]I was at the CBHS vs. Baylor game (which Baylor won 1-0 as I called! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) and all of the CBHS parents were freaking crazy. They were yelling at their kids to "snap their necks!" and stuff like that and "what the h*ll ref" "get the d*mn ball" and a lot of other profane words and phrases. I thought this was a Christian school, so why would this stuff be going on? I was actually really amazed.

I seriously doubt a CBHS parent, or a parent from any school, would say "Snap their necks."

Like any parent group, CBHS has a couple of people that are annoying, even to their own kids and the rest of the CBHS parent group.

But that crosses the line and the others in the group would have quieted that person quickly.

If the other two quotes disqualify CBHS from being a Christian school, there aren't many around.

Christian Brothers High School is defined by its 136 years, not by parent behavior at a soccer game.

QUOTE(SpeedyGonzo @ May 27 2007 - 06:05 PM) 826468157[/snapback]I seriously doubt a CBHS parent, or a parent from any school, would say "Snap their necks."

Like any parent group, CBHS has a couple of people that are annoying, even to their own kids and the rest of the CBHS parent group.

But that crosses the line and the others in the group would have quieted that person quickly.

If the other two quotes disqualify CBHS from being a Christian school, there aren't many around.

Christian Brothers High School is defined by its 136 years, not by parent behavior at a soccer game.

I agree with your statement. Cheers to Baylor

I was at that game and yes the parents did say some bad things during the game to the ref and players. But they were also very supporting to their players, and clapped when a Baylor player got up from being down. They even said congradulations and good game to the Baylor parents and fans. Yes I agree some of the things that the parents said were inapropriate(sorry for spelling).

QUOTE(defaultuser @ May 27 2007 - 09:30 PM) 826468253[/snapback]Oh I agree they were good at time, but it doesn't make up for what they said. And yes they most certainly did say "snap their necks" exact words, swear on everything. Actually when they said that I yelled at them saying why in the world would you say that.

I sincerely hope that you misinterpreted what you heard.

It is such a bizarre statement to make.

In any event, "I thought this was a Christian school," is inappropriate.

To what standard do you hold your school?

No I did not misunderstand what they said. I had a group of friends with me and we were all like why in the would wold you say that. And standards for my school are our parents NOT telling us to snap the other teams necks. And I don't believe saying I thought this was a Christian school was inapporiate at all. Snap their necks should not of been said. If you want to know it was from a group of men standing up on top on the bleachers on the very top one, second section. Plain purple shirts on.

I graduated from CBHS in the early 70s.

Having been around soccer (and organized sports-played football at CBHS and coached recreational soccer) for years, I recognize that there are fans who get out of hand. I am far from perfect and, as a passionate fan, have said some regretable things!

Generally, booing, chastizing the refs, and yelling obscenities are bad enough but the line is crossed when, particularly in soccer, injuring a player is encouraged from fans. I doubt the players even care what is being said from the bleachers but I can assure you the son(s) of the fan(s) yelling recognize the voice(s) and are embarrassed.

It was my understanding the refs have the authority to expel obnoxious fans yelling or doing inappropriate things. There primary responsibilities are to monitoring the game! The responsibility falls on the school they represent. CBHS should be made aware of the identity of the fan(s) and what was said so that disciplinary action can to be taken. I would suspect that Brother Joel would have a fit if he knew what was happening (he was such stickler for making sure we buttoned our collars in class back then!) He is probably the only brother around from when I went to school at CBHS.

From the Christian perspective, as a follower of Christ, what we do and say reflects directly on Him. No excuses! We are ambassadors for Him, we represent Him. We are His witness to the unbelieving world. We are not to conform the world.

I moved to Knoxville years ago and my son had the privilege to play under coach G at CAK from 2003 to last year. I must say that there is a difference when the coach exhibits Christ-like behavior; the players and fans understand more of what it means to be representatives of Christ.

In defense of the fellow yelling "Snap their necks!":

I was also at the game and am not from either school, not even from a school in the same division. This was actually my first Division II game to watch all season; I consider myself to be objective, though don't we all...? Anyway, my assistant coach and I both heard the yells of the fellow you're speaking of, and were sitting quite close to him. He was yelling "Snap that net!" -- encouraging his team to score a goal. My friend and I then listened carefully because we'd never heard scoring a goal spoken of in that fashion (and thought it was really humorous); but it was clear that is what he was saying. He cheered his team on throughout the entire game (rarely using what I would call common soccer lingo). I also noted that this man only encouraged his own team's players. He never spoke a bad word about the referees or other team's players. There were some that did so, but nothing remotely close to "snap their necks."