QUOTE(SpeedyGonzo @ Jun 13 2007 - 11:30 AM) 826474598[/snapback]This is interesting:

MFC Qualifies All Boys Teams For D1 State Cup

Plus Two of Three D1 Girls Teams Will Also Vie for Title

In the first year of Tennessee State Soccer's State League Format, Memphis FC has placed all of its D1 Boys Teams into the State Cup. The '93, '92, '91', '90 and '89's will compete in Memphis June 9-11 for the State D1 Championships. MFC is the only club in Tennessee to qualify a boys' team in each eligible age bracket through the league competition. Also, the club had three girls teams competing in the State League this Spring. The '93 and '89 Girls both qualified to compete in the State Cup in Memphis. The Tennessee State Cup is part of the US Youth Soccer National Championship Series and will be held at Mike Rose Soccer Complex.

TNFC also had teams competing in the State cup in 93 (Finalist), 92 (Semi-finalist), 91, 90 (Semi-finalist), 89 (Pulled out after qualifying) and 88s (Champions) on the boys side and teams in 92 (Semi-finalist), 91 (Semi-finalist), two teams at 89s on the girls side.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Welshdragon @ Jun 13 2007 - 01:31 PM) 826474644[/snapback]TNFC also had teams competing in the State cup in 93 (Finalist), 92 (Semi-finalist), 91, 90 (Semi-finalist), 89 (Pulled out after qualifying) and 88s (Champions) on the boys side and teams in 92 (Semi-finalist), 91 (Semi-finalist), two teams at 89s on the girls side.

Not sure about the situation, but TNFC 91s had to sue to get in? Why was the 91 bracket expanded to 7 teams?

Re: the TNFC 89s pulling out--I hope there wasn't an accident or something to cause it. Rumors are there just weren't enough players. I did see that they used Zander during state league.

Hopefully the state will learn from this. Fury 89 loses its first game 0-3, is awarded a forfeit for the Sunday game (so they didn't play an early game) and play MFC in the semi with fresh legs. It was MFC's second Sunday game.

Everybody knew the bracket was down to 5 teams. Should have gone round-robin to make it fair.

Knoxville FC qualified 4 teams for the D-1 state tournament this year. Three boys teams '93(Semi-finalist), '91(Champions), and '90(Champions). One girls team '89(Champions).

TN also sends multiple teams to regionals in most of the age groups except for '92 and '89. '88 TNFC looks to have the best draw at regionals with a good possibility of making the finals against Dallas Texans. Could this be the year they get over the hump? '90 TNFC and '89 Memphis Kickers also have favorable draws.

Toughest draw goes to '91 Lakeway Kickers facing TSC '91 and CASL.

Good luck to all.

QUOTE(uniden @ Jun 13 2007 - 11:17 AM) 826474588[/snapback]Care to elaborate?

I won't try to judge intent. Keeper comes six or seven yards outside the box to clear a ball in traffic. Ball deflects wide, not long, and the keeper goes to the ground. Keeper is getting to his feet to get back in goal when KFC player runs by and gives him a forearm under the chin as he is getting to his feet. The keeper goes down and is taken to the hospital. The good news is he only had a slight concussion and is okay.

QUOTE(BigDog7 @ Jun 14 2007 - 08:50 AM) 826474917[/snapback]I won't try to judge intent. Keeper comes six or seven yards outside the box to clear a ball in traffic. Ball deflects wide, not long, and the keeper goes to the ground. Keeper is getting to his feet to get back in goal when KFC player runs by and gives him a forearm under the chin as he is getting to his feet. The keeper goes down and is taken to the hospital. The good news is he only had a slight concussion and is okay.

The keeper was six or seven yards from the half line and in the center of the field, and after fighting for the ball turned back toward his goal( I assume to get back in goal) and ran into the the arm of another player ( yes, from KFC) who was heading for the ball that the keeper had just left. It may have looked to you like he hit him under the chin intentionally , but in the motion of running people do pump there arms and that is what I saw. I just thought that he may have aggravated an injury that he sustained during the Ultra Lions game from the day before when he landed on his neck after being upended by one of his own players.

The AR had called KFC offsides already and the play would have stopped, but the center Ref could not look up because of all the activity around the ball.

We did hear from the trainer after the game that he was okay and we are all thankful that he did not sustain a more serious injury.

QUOTE(kingoftheblurbs @ Jun 14 2007 - 04:03 PM) 826475088[/snapback]The keeper was six or seven yards from the half line and in the center of the field, and after fighting for the ball turned back toward his goal( I assume to get back in goal) and ran into the the arm of another player ( yes, from KFC) who was heading for the ball that the keeper had just left. It may have looked to you like he hit him under the chin intentionally , but in the motion of running people do pump there arms and that is what I saw. I just thought that he may have aggravated an injury that he sustained during the Ultra Lions game from the day before when he landed on his neck after being upended by one of his own players.

The AR had called KFC offsides already and the play would have stopped, but the center Ref could not look up because of all the activity around the ball.

We did hear from the trainer after the game that he was okay and we are all thankful that he did not sustain a more serious injury.

Your analysis would have the keeper well inside the center circle, which I would be hard pressed to say happened. Second, why would a keeper come to the center circle, fight for the ball, and then turn around and leave the ball? Finally, the keeper is 6'2" or 6'3". For his chin to run into another player's forearm, that player would have to be at least 6'6" or 6'7". While I've only seen KFC this weekend, I don't recall anyone of that stature. However, I certainly respect your perspective from your vantage point.

I have video of the game and have reviewed it extensively, so I am comfortable with my view of the incident.

Regarding the officiating, I was disappointed at the quality of the crew assigned to a U17 State final. Not necessarily foul recognition - that is part of a match that the players must learn to adjust to. I was disappointed at the lack of control which created safety issues for both sides. I would think the state would have its top crew on that match.

Regardless, as I posted earlier, congrats to KFC and good luck at Regionals.

QUOTE(uniden @ Jun 13 2007 - 11:17 AM) 826474588[/snapback]Care to elaborate?

I will let you know this. I know most of the players on KFC and I can't imagine any of them threw and intentional elbow to the goalie, especially to the head. We have played them many times and they have never been dirty. IMO you are just trying to start something that is just not true. But I wasn't there.

QUOTE(Soccer Gypsy @ Jun 14 2007 - 08:35 PM) 826475225[/snapback]That is a tough draw for TNFC 90, my mistake.

How were the Louisiana teams in U-17 boys Premier League?

The Arkansas teams are usually weak, but I did see LRFC and they have improved a lot.

The Mississippi and Alabama teams have never beaten MFC, but MFC had never beaten TNFC until last weekend, so that doesn't mean didley.

The Tennessee teams should do well.

And while it is early to speculate, with the state tournament switching to next November, it will really be interesting to see how the teams do coming off club seasons as opposed to high school.

I will let you know this. I know most of the players on KFC and I can't imagine any of them threw and intentional elbow to the goalie, especially to the head. We have played them many times and they have never been dirty. IMO you are just trying to start something that is just not true. But I wasn't there.

Let me set the record straight and then I'll be done with the topic. First, I never said someone threw an intentional elbow to the head. It was a forearm under the chin. Second, I said at the beginning I was not judging intent, only stating what happened. I sincerely appreciate your comments on KFC. I have never said they were a dirty team, and I am not saying that now. They are a very talented team - well skilled, fit, and well coached. So is MFC. That is why the game was such a battle and went to PK's. I have never said the player was a dirty player, and I am not saying so now. He appears to be a very talented kid, just like the rest of his team. I'm not passing judgment on him, or KFC as a team. The players, coach, and parents were all gracious at the awards ceremony. I have no reason to think they are anything but a class organization.

What I am saying is the play was what the play was. And, it is the play I am commenting on. I have watched it several times. It was avoidable and not close to the ball. Do I think the intent was to send a player to the hospital, the answer is certainly not! If I had to venture a guess, from my perspective, the intent was to obstruct the goalie from getting back to the goal by cutting in front of him and bumping him. That kind of play happens in soccer all the time. Whatever the intent, the facts are the player caught the keeper under the chin with a forearm and followed through. I don't think it was premeditated. I simply think it was a function of both players being in the place they were at the time it happened and the overall intensity of the match. But, it did happen. And, because it was avoidable and the follow through was deliberate, it was a cheap shot, in my opinion. They do happen, particularly in state finals.

Finally, my intent has never been to "start something that is just not true". There is no value in that. If I have offended you or anyone else on this forum, I apologize. As I have tried to say on each post, a sincere congratulations to KFC. It would be great for the state if they win regionals, and I will be pulling for them to do so. I am proud of the MFC team, and I believe they surprised some folks this time around. Two great squads, one great battle.

• 3 weeks later...