A/AA Cross Country

Coniglio

David Lipscomb will always do well at state because they have they home field advantage. That is why in College Football the University of Miami would always do well in the orange bowl. They get to sleep in there own beds and they run the course all the time. That is why the state course needs to move around from time to time. There are plenty of other good places to run the state meet at. I am not saying to take the Steeplechase Course out completly. Just have it there every 2 or 3 years. Just an idea!

Have to say differently there if I was in Nashville I would hate to have state at Steeple.

I predominantly train at Greenway Farms in Chattanooga. We had a race there early in the season and I probably did some longer tempo work just a tad slower than what I ended up running in the race there.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most of the nashville runners will agree that they would be happier than anyone if the course for the state meet was moved. The sleeping in your own beds thing I have to disagree with. To be perfectly blunt high school students are very irresponsible as a whole. It is much easier on the coaches and team when they are all staying together in a hotel so that they know everyone will be there and be there on time. I'm sure almost every team has at least once had to panic about where one of their runners is because they are running late to a meet. An additional benefit is that you will probably have your coach deciding for you what you are going to eat the night and morning before the race. Most people on this board can probably also relate to always having that one guy on the team that eats pizza the night before and then pancakes and bacon the morning of the race. All in all I really think at the high school level there is absolutely no benefit to an in town meet especially on a course like steeplechase. Overall it is pretty flat so it doesn't require as intense pre-race split or surge placement planning.

David Lipscomb will always do well at state because they have they home field advantage. That is why in College Football the University of Miami would always do well in the orange bowl. They get to sleep in there own beds and they run the course all the time. That is why the state course needs to move around from time to time. There are plenty of other good places to run the state meet at. I am not saying to take the Steeplechase Course out completly. Just have it there every 2 or 3 years. Just an idea!

OK, ur just crazy. Matter of fact, mid ten teams would do BETTER away from steeple. It is the hardest place to run. Oh, and why did Lipscomb have a subpar race at state if they have a home field advantage. I'd love to move the course from steeple. Have you ever run there?! Running the course more is a legit reason, but we'd do better anyway because its a devil and it makes you faster...maybe that's why mid ten teams tend to bowl over other regions...just an idea ! Because middle tennessee teams train on that course we get faster. Whether you move the big race from that course or not wouldn't matter b/c mid ten teams are faster and can run in all sorts of terrain. Middle Tennessee would likely win anyway, the times away from steeple would just be faster...not a bad thing. College football is completely irrelevent. Fans make the difference. Every football field is a 100 X 53 yard flat peice of grass or turf. XC courses are different. The reason that college football teams do better in their home stadium is b/c they get more support and fans (generally 50,000+). DL and FRA, MLK, etc. get 20. Big difference...college football & TSSAA XC?!

Look man, I'm an FRA runner and I'm not opposed to the idea, but your reasoning is way off base!

I think most of the nashville runners will agree that they would be happier than anyone if the course for the state meet was moved. The sleeping in your own beds thing I have to disagree with. To be perfectly blunt high school students are very irresponsible as a whole. It is much easier on the coaches and team when they are all staying together in a hotel so that they know everyone will be there and be there on time. I'm sure almost every team has at least once had to panic about where one of their runners is because they are running late to a meet. An additional benefit is that you will probably have your coach deciding for you what you are going to eat the night and morning before the race. Most people on this board can probably also relate to always having that one guy on the team that eats pizza the night before and then pancakes and bacon the morning of the race. All in all I really think at the high school level there is absolutely no benefit to an in town meet especially on a course like steeplechase. Overall it is pretty flat so it doesn't require as intense pre-race split or surge placement planning.

One year we were late getting to Raleigh when G.A. was there, so we had to eat dinner late at Ruby's. McGroom orders a SuperColossal Burger (against a coach's orders), eats most of it, then feels sick the rest of the night and the next morning. When he finishes the race the next day--Race of Champions--he's in the chute when he feels the burger rumbling. He slaps the back of the guy in front of him, says, "Good job," and blows Colossal Burger all over the guy's back.

Classic.

My guys are the worst eaters on the planet. Coming back from State Track this year they each got a bucket of chicken--each! So they sat in the van, watched "Forty-Year-Old Virgin," and ate 10 pieces of chicken each.

We even have a nutritionist come talk to them--does no good. But I've got great stories...

One year we were late getting to Raleigh when G.A. was there, so we had to eat dinner late at Ruby's. McGroom orders a SuperColossal Burger (against a coach's orders), eats most of it, then feels sick the rest of the night and the next morning. When he finishes the race the next day--Race of Champions--he's in the chute when he feels the burger rumbling. He slaps the back of the guy in front of him, says, "Good job," and blows Colossal Burger all over the guy's back.

Classic.

My guys are the worst eaters on the planet. Coming back from State Track this year they each got a bucket of chicken--each! So they sat in the van, watched "Forty-Year-Old Virgin," and ate 10 pieces of chicken each.

We even have a nutritionist come talk to them--does no good. But I've got great stories...

Hahahahahaha.

Care to share? Maybe in it's own topic?

Classic.

Wow, that's horribly stupid, but very funny! Question is, why do people eat poorly when they know it's gonna hurt them in the race? Better question, will he ever order theSuperColossal Burger again before a meet?

Classic.

any good camps this summer?

• 2 weeks later...