AAA Cross Country - Favorites

barrister

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(barrister @ May 30 2007 - 02:57 PM) 826469203[/snapback]From reviewing the results of last year's state championship and their apparent returning athletes, it appears Oak Ridge will be the favorite to win both the girl's and boy's championship for 2007. Any ideas on when/whether this feat was last accomplished?

I checked the TSSAA website and I believe only Germantown Houston in 2000 won both the boys and girls State Championships.

I hope Oak Ridge will do it in 2007 but that will only happen if they work extremely hard this summer and fall, plus come together as a TEAM.

A story only a Ridger will get, I went to a meet at Melton Hill Dam and when an exhausted OR runner hit the finish line he told Coach Mac that he couldn't breath. Coach Mac, needing him to move down the chute calmly told him, " Keep moving, breathing is over rated. " Of course, the runner was fine and the runners behind him were able to finish unobstructed.

Run smart, run hard, and run with heart. Breathing is for second place. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(WillieTheWildcat @ May - 10:57 PM) 826469466[/snapback]I checked the TSSAA website and I believe only Germantown Houston in 2000 won both the boys and girls State Championships.

I hope Oak Ridge will do it in 2007 but that will only happen if they work extremely hard this summer and fall, plus come together as a TEAM.

A story only a Ridger will get, I went to a meet at Melton Hill Dam and when an exhausted OR runner hit the finish line he told Coach Mac that he couldn't breath. Coach Mac, needing him to move down the chute calmly told him, " Keep moving, breathing is over rated. " Of course, the runner was fine and the runners behind him were able to finish unobstructed.

Run smart, run hard, and run with heart. Breathing is for second place. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You'd have to know Coach Mac to know exactly how much that sounds like him!

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Darth Steve @ Jun 12 2007 - 02:03 PM) 826474245[/snapback]Well I guess either no one cares about AAA predicitions or we just about have it covered...

keveren and oak ridge for the boys wins and kroeger and oak ridge on the girls side, definately virginia in second. the battle for second on the guys side will be really close. i guess it's just harder to talk about aaa because the top guy and top girl are leagues ahead of the others (i'm assuming this year keveren will finally have the experience to do as well in cross as he does in track, from what i've heard from milner he's just as good a 5k runner as he is a miler he just hasn't had enough experience in xc to really hit that next level like he did in track this year)

QUOTE(Rader @ Jun 12 2007 - 11:10 PM) 826474437[/snapback]Who do you think gets out of region 2 this year? We all know Oak Ridge is a given. Who else?

OR will be tremendous this year. The two K's are hard to beat but what about the others on their team? Campbell County has no individual runners but they do well as a boys team. They will have 3 senior boys and Carrington back who finished 3rd in state track and field this year. He just has to make the adjustment the CC again. In AAA, anyone got any great freshman coming up???

Who do you think gets out of region 2 this year? We all know Oak Ridge is a given. Who else?

I assume we're talking boys here.

Thanks for the vote of confidence--but we approach things as if nothing is a given, since it isn't...

In Region II-AAA I see Maryville and Farragut being very good. Not sure about CCHS, but they have the best middle school program around, so they have to have some good runners coming in.

Statewide, I see Morristown West, Houston, D-B all being good. Someone always surprises me, too.

keveren and oak ridge for the boys wins and kroeger and oak ridge on the girls side, definately virginia in second. the battle for second on the guys side will be really close. i guess it's just harder to talk about aaa because the top guy and top girl are leagues ahead of the others (i'm assuming this year keveren will finally have the experience to do as well in cross as he does in track, from what i've heard from milner he's just as good a 5k runner as he is a miler he just hasn't had enough experience in xc to really hit that next level like he did in track this year)

Sorry, I think a like Allie Scalf of Science Hill or Markie Voyles of White County better than Virgina for second. I remember last year Virginia barely standing for the awards last year and she didn't run the 3200 this season in track, so the distance of 5K is a question for her. Allie ran a 11:10.77 for 3200 took some big steps forward this track season. Markie loves CC and won 10 of 12 last year, her dad said she hates to lose and had only 10 days off this Summer, beware...

Also 2nd for the boys Matt Sonnenfeldt would be a good pick, look at his improvement over the 2007 track season. Very Solid.

Mac of Oak Ridge and Helton of Independence should be right there.

Glad to see Kathy back !!! Sean is a monster !!!

Bruce

With a decent base, Vee should be fine at number 2. I mean, she IS a Footlocker National Returnee you know.

i agree with coniglio. hine is a clear number 2 no questions asked. the 5k distance if obviously not an issue for her seeing as she made it to FLN. also keep in mind that track and cross country are completely seperate sports. track times mean very little when xc comes around. the top 2 distance girls in the nation this year were tauro and hassay and they weren't exactly at the top of fln last year. track and xc are just way too different. until virginia is beat by someone other than kk she is clearly #2