Ask The Ref

The Ref

No, the question is "Are you going to enforce the rule of the game or continue to make an excuse for not enforcing the rule of the game?" We are not talking about something that you are given a range for in judgement (in the opinion of the referee). The rule allows side to side movement not coming off the line till the ball is struck. That is the rule. Period -- end of discussion. Just enforce the rules where the interpretation is black and white and not grey and quit making excuses for failing to do otherwise. Thank you.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as a referee and more as an assistant referee, if that keeper comes off the line before that kick is made, I make the call. I agree with the majority, there is no grey area on this call. A step off the line is a step off the line and it must be called back if the goal goes over around the goal or if it gets blocked.

Do you know what I hate the most, is when I see referees call a player over to show them a card. There is nothing in the rules that says that player must come over to see the card. Referees need to quit forcing players to come over and face a card, just so they can increase thier ego. I hope one time a player continues to walk off and a referee tries to do something else like give another card and he gets challenge on it.

On that note, I do believe that players should show respect and face the referee, but if he chooses not to it, then that's his perrogative.

I hate to say this because I have tremendous respect for referees, myself included, reffed for five years now, but I agree with Whitey. More and more you keep bring in judgement to the plays. The Spirit of the Game and Judgement on a play are two different things.

If the keeper comes off the line early, and the ball is shot over...whistle is blown and another pk is given. No judgement about it what so ever. I know all the refs ive had the pleasure to ref with would call the same thing. As Whitey says, call the Black and White and not the Gray, if FIFA decides to ammend the rule to where certified refs ranging from 15-70 years old judge what a foul is and isnt, make their own judgment on calls, and either give the game to or take away the game and give it to another team....then ill agree with you The Ref.

QUOTE(BlackmanSoccerDad @ Jun 4 2007 - 10:55 PM) 826471407[/snapback]Well as a referee and more as an assistant referee, if that keeper comes off the line before that kick is made, I make the call. I agree with the majority, there is no grey area on this call. A step off the line is a step off the line and it must be called back if the goal goes over around the goal or if it gets blocked.

Do you know what I hate the most, is when I see referees call a player over to show them a card. There is nothing in the rules that says that player must come over to see the card. Referees need to quit forcing players to come over and face a card, just so they can increase thier ego. I hope one time a player continues to walk off and a referee tries to do something else like give another card and he gets challenge on it.

On that note, I do believe that players should show respect and face the referee, but if he chooses not to it, then that's his perrogative.

I don't have my rule books accessible, but I believe proper procedure is to beckon the player to you, then hold the card directly over your head so there is no question which player is receiving the card. I think you're asking for trouble if you don't clearly identify who is receiving the card as I have seen situations where what you describe has been done and arguments ensue, the wrong player is recorded and subs, etc.

I also don't think it is an ego or respect issue; it certainly isn't for me, I just consider it proper procedure. If I can find anything in the rules or procedures addressing this I will post it in the next couple days.

By the way, TSSAA just ruled that soccer ejections will now result in missing the next 2 games instead of 1. I didn't see if they addressed the soft red situation which previously has resulted in no suspension. I'm sure they will address this in the rules meeting in August.

QUOTE(MD4Sports @ Jun 5 2007 - 09:12 AM) 826471514[/snapback]I don't have my rule books accessible, but I believe proper procedure is to beckon the player to you, then hold the card directly over your head so there is no question which player is receiving the card. I think you're asking for trouble if you don't clearly identify who is receiving the card as I have seen situations where what you describe has been done and arguments ensue, the wrong player is recorded and subs, etc.

I also don't think it is an ego or respect issue; it certainly isn't for me, I just consider it proper procedure. If I can find anything in the rules or procedures addressing this I will post it in the next couple days.

By the way, TSSAA just ruled that soccer ejections will now result in missing the next 2 games instead of 1. I didn't see if they addressed the soft red situation which previously has resulted in no suspension. I'm sure they will address this in the rules meeting in August.

There is no mistake in the player recieving the card, he is sent off with a yellow in high school. You won't find it in the rules and procedures, infact it was told to us in our recertification that the player doesn't have to come to the referee.

QUOTE(cincyred @ Jun 5 2007 - 07:36 AM) 826471493[/snapback]Watch how much Brianna Scurry came off the line in the women's 1999 WC Final. She ends up past the 6 yard box. No call was made.

Both sides' goalies did... and I had heard (though this isnt factual, but rumor) that the refs got in trouble by FIFA for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Both sides' goalies did... and I had heard (though this isnt factual, but rumor) that the refs got in trouble by FIFA for it.

At home games, Dudek dares the officials to cite him for leaving his line. He taunts them, "I will do nothing, but you will not make it out of the staduim alive."

He is terrific to watch.