Red card now costs 2 game suspension

MD4Sports

TSSAA just ruled that soccer ejections will now result in a 2 game suspension instead of 1. I do not know if the soft red situation changed which previously resulted in no suspension. Also no games can be added during the season to offset the suspension.

This is a big change. What do you CoachTers think about it?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A double suspension for a red card???? for one thing I already think that the concequences for a red card are unfair compared to other TSSAA sports. In basketball if a player fouls out, he can participate in the next game and does not have to go through the numerous meetings with faculty, officials, and parents. I believe there should be a scale of punishment for different ejections. For instance, punishment should vary between a player getting a red card for a fist fight and a player who gets carded for a hand ball in the box. Both red card offenses but one deserving much more punishment. I think that the officials at TSSAA could deal with it better.

QUOTE(mjuhb @ Jun 5 2007 - 04:12 PM) 826471744[/snapback]this is in part because of the red bank coach now teams will no longer be allowed to schedule more games during the season to offset an ejection

Is this as a result of the goalie situation during the Red Bank and Baylor game. I had heard about the goalie going beserk and having to be restrained from attacking the ref. Curious as to what happened and was hoping that it was just a rumor that Red Bank tried to arrange another game before playoffs so the goalie could play.

I truly hope TSSAA didn't pass this rule as a result of the Red Bank situation. If discipline was needed there for either the player or the coach, the mechanism already exists to impose it and the high school rule that you can't add a previously unscheduled match to "burn" a red card suspension has been in place for years already and is nothing new.

I think TSSAA's handling of soccer red cards illustrates once again the Board's lack of understanding about our game. Soccer discipline rules are far more stringent than virtually any other high school sport. The average red card --- not the obviously deserved "bad" ones--- generally are given for behavior that is either ignored or far less severely sanctioned in every other high school sport. When was the last time you can remember a football or basketball player being ejected from a game and sitting out one or two more for foul language or "taunting"? When a basketball player fouls an opposing player from behind on a breakaway, it's a foul---one of five allowed. Sometimes it is ruled a flagrant foul. But seldom to never is the fouling player ejected from that game and, automatically, one or two more. Moreover, if a basketball player fouls out there is no resulting automatic additional punishment. A foul from behind on a breakaway in soccer and the player is automatically gone now for two matches and whatever is left of the match in question.

TSSAA does not understand soccer, nor does it want to understand soccer. There has been little to no change in my decade of experience with TSSAA and I don't see it getting better except for the club team rule variation made last year after Tom Gerlach and others took the coaches' fight to the Board of Control.

It is a bad decision. Why can't TSSAA simply employ modified FIFA rules (just like USYSA or US Club Soccer) and let our game be governed by the same rules used everywhere else in the country?

QUOTE(Hoya @ Jun 6 2007 - 08:41 AM) 826472002[/snapback]I truly hope TSSAA didn't pass this rule as a result of the Red Bank situation. If discipline was needed there for either the player or the coach, the mechanism already exists to impose it and the high school rule that you can't add a previously unscheduled match to "burn" a red card suspension has been in place for years already and is nothing new.

I think TSSAA's handling of soccer red cards illustrates once again the Board's lack of understanding about our game. Soccer discipline rules are far more stringent than virtually any other high school sport. The average red card --- not the obviously deserved "bad" ones--- generally are given for behavior that is either ignored or far less severely sanctioned in every other high school sport. When was the last time you can remember a football or basketball player being ejected from a game and sitting out one or two more for foul language or "taunting"? When a basketball player fouls an opposing player from behind on a breakaway, it's a foul---one of five allowed. Sometimes it is ruled a flagrant foul. But seldom to never is the fouling player ejected from that game and, automatically, one or two more. Moreover, if a basketball player fouls out there is no resulting automatic additional punishment. A foul from behind on a breakaway in soccer and the player is automatically gone now for two matches and whatever is left of the match in question.

TSSAA does not understand soccer, nor does it want to understand soccer. There has been little to no change in my decade of experience with TSSAA and I don't see it getting better except for the club team rule variation made last year after Tom Gerlach and others took the coaches' fight to the Board of Control.

It is a bad decision. Why can't TSSAA simply employ modified FIFA rules (just like USYSA or US Club Soccer) and let our game be governed by the same rules used everywhere else in the country?

I agree with ya buddy.

This might be the worst decision yet by TSSAA, although the bar is pretty high in that regard. Are they determined to prove to everyone that they know nothing about the game...and simply don't care?

Will basketball players who foul out now have to sit out two games?

The use of cards in high school is so arbitrary, inconsistent, and often incorrect. There is no viable review process or viable appeal in the case of obvious error (and yes, I can document several examples). Now we are put in the situation of allowing a ref to remove a player for up to three games (the one being played and two more). Not even a school administrator has that power.

Why does the TSSAA want more lawsuits?

a lawsuit over a two-game suspension for receiving a red card? I will laugh when I see that.

If a player is ejected in any other sport they have to sit out. Fouling out of a basketball game is not being ejected. I guess you could say fouling out is like getting two yellows for a soft red in soccer. In that case there is no suspension.

I believe every other sport has a two-game suspension except football. And they only have 10 games in a regular season. Soccer has how many games?

It's simple. Tell players to keep their mouths shut and play the game clean. Do that and you won't get ejected. It's like any other sport.

If a player is ejected in any other sport they have to sit out. Fouling out of a basketball game is not being ejected.

There is a pervasive ignorance of the game of soccer by TSSAA, school officials, and apparently by some folks here. Knowlegeable folks understand cards in soccer can be for any number of fouls and red cards can be for physical play or unsporting behavior on some other level also.

Committing a foul on a player with a clear goal scoring opportunity is a red card offense in a soccer game. It does not rise to the same level as cursing a ref or fighting but gets the same card. This is not a problem until you overlay the irrational response by TSSAA.

Refs make split second decisions that are sometimes in error. ( I know this because I've done it) A classic example occurred in a Lenoir City v Oneida game where a player took a dive as if he'd been punched and another player was red carded. Video of the incident showed conclusively that there was no foul period, much less a red card foul. The card remained and the School issued a two game suspension without talking to the student. That travesty was corrected when the video was shown to school officials but TSSAA, as far as I know, never recanted the red card.

Tssaa is putting itself and the referees in a position that is legally that of school administrators. This should complicate their position in at least one lawsuit they are currently defending.

To treat a person who is a Soccer player differently from a person who is a basketball or football player will get TSSAA sued...

It will be because there is no other remedy at this point in time and that is unfortunate.

And HOYA...What you said! Truth.

Once again, instead of addressing the individual issue, they use a cannon ball to kill a fly. If there was a problem with Red Bank or any other school, the TSSAA should go to THAT school and take appropriate measures. Why the increase to two game suspension? Was there a substantial increase in the number of red cards this year? I didn't hear about too many (and you know we would have here on coach T). I would be curious to know who proposed the change, and why (which I don't think we will ever get).

The TSSAA frustrates me, though I am sure that their job is quite thankless. Taking away the "open facilities" in the fall, and adding a SECOND dead period in the fall is frustrating for those players who really do want to play, and not being "forced" by over bearing coaches. ADDRESS the problem, and don't punish the 98% of schools who are doing it right.

I also think the rule about adding games has been in affect for a while, but I am not sure.

I also thank Coach Plummer and Coach Bowman for joining the coaches together to fight that 50% rule, and to start an association for the coaches.