Red card now costs 2 game suspension

MD4Sports

I think this was bound to happen. Sadly, 90-95% of the good people will always have to suffer for the 5% of the bad people who act poorly, when their teammate is out 2 games and or punished unfairly.

If some temas/ players/ coaches don't clean up thier act then expect the soft red to lead to suspensions in the future.

It could be that the TSSAA doesn't know soccer or it could be that they know that if they don't take stronger actions they will end up with worse problems.

As to other sports, many of the same actions that get red cards in soccer will get one ejected in other sports.

By the way how many red cards are awarded in girls soccer each year?? I would bet the ratio of red cards in boys soccer is 20 to 1 compared to girls.

Why? Many of the same people coach and officiate girls soccer and boys. The rules are the same. But in girls soccer you rarely hear the players use obscene language, throw punches or threaten the officials.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree philosophically with most of the statements, but we also have to look at ourselves. I love all sports and when I attend soccer games I see more profanity and yes even hand signs at officials than all the other sports put together. When I get my TSSAA magazine and they list offenses soccer has more than all the others put together as well. We are a new TSSAA sport by the standard of most TSSAA sports. Yet, we have been around along time. Being directly involved in couple of other sports as a coach many years ago, I can remember Ronnie Carter telling us to clean it up or the TSSAA will. As a rule, we often feel that we are a sport of privelage and sometimes above the TSSAA and other processes. I believe a lot of that has to do with socioeconomics, and our traveling team mentality. The fact is soccer did not develope slowly like most sports. Boom, we were there over night in large numbers. Much of what the TSSAA does with any sport is to respond when the members have not been proactive in taking care of their own problems. I love our sport, my youngest daughter was an all everything soccer player and signed collegiately. So I 'm not coming to the table blind or with a negative agenda. Thank you.

I disagree with anyone who thinks soccer players act worse or evan as badly as other sports. There's no data suggesting any such thing, nor is it my anecdotal experience, having attended nearly every home basketball and football game at my son's school.

What I have seen is inept officiating and failure to control games from some officials. When officials fail to protect players from repeated fouls, the level of aggression increases.

Thinking back on every card our team received in the last couple of years, only one was for a player initiated reason. Our team had one red card which was improperly given for what should have been a yellow card substitution proceedure foul. When contacted, TSSA refused to review the rules and forced a senior player to miss his last ever high school game.

If TSSAA wants to clean up Soccer, clean up the officiating by raising their level of expertise. Increasing penalties will do absolutely nothing except make a knowlegable official LESS likely to issue a straight red.

TSSAA should immediately rescind it's action and call soccer coaches and officials together to:

1: Determine if there is actually a problem that needs to be fixed or if it is artificially generated by TSSAA officials' lack of knowlege about the game and its rules.

2: Determine what can be done to raise the level of officiating, with coaches, officials, and administrators acting in concert. Officials take a beating at games and, unfortunately at times, deservedly so.

3. Discuss realistic behavioral standards. Using red card ejections as a guide would be the same thing as using Technicals Plus Foul outs as a guide to behavior in basketball.

If Football players were ejected for personal fouls, soccer stats would make soccer players look like a bunch of boy scouts. Which a lot of them are, by the way. Kingston had four eagle scouts, two valedictorians, and seven players with GPA's over 4.0 this year. TSSAA is so off base on this it will give them another black eye if something isn't corrected.

Steve

Football: A defensive back gets beaten and pulls down the receiver while the ball is in the air: Punishment: a few yards for the other team

Basketball: A player is intentionally fouled from behind on a breakaway: Punishment: one personal foul plus the other team shoots free throws and keeps possession of the ball.

Soccer: A forward is intentionally fouled on a breakaway or the goalkeeper comes out and makes a save outside the box with his/her hands: Punishment: RED CARD. TEAM plays short-handed and players miss TWO games?

What do you have to do to get "thrown out" of a football or basketball game? ANSWER: a whole lot more than soccer. TSSAA looks at the statistics of players ejected from games and makes a stupid decision.

These are all strategic plays in the respective sports. Granted, they are called upon in somewhat desperate situations, but all are strategic and "part of the game".

Also, officials in ALL sports should be encouraged to eject players equally in regards to foul language. In soccer, if it is heard from the stands, it is almost automatic. When does language get heard in the stands in football? Never. Therefore, how often is a player ejected for language in football? Rarely.

TSSAA gets statistics on language ejections and again thinks there is a problem that is specific to soccer.

I guess its what part of the name of "High School Soccer" that you focus on. If you focus on "Soccer" then I believe that you are likely to agree with many on here who are opposed to the change. I can guarantee you that the Principals and TSSAA officials focus on the "High School" part of the term. Thus, when they get reports that show Soccer ejections off of the charts they start asking questions.

I think Steve Scarb makes some great points as does Bruinsoccer for there should probably be more ejections in other sports.

I still ask - why are there so fewer red cards in girls soccer?? Its the same people that officiate the girls games. Often its the same coaches.

I would be in favor of a report that listed what is getting people red-cards and the breakdown by team. This might give some explanations as to why the TSSAA did this.