SHAWN WIITEN WILL BE NEW ELIZABETHTON COACH

madman101

Went pretty good they gave Lunsferd to much time at least 7-9 seconds a throw when it was supposed to be four , both teams scored but at least 9 picks for the OB at hampton both should have a good year

i was there and i didnt see 9 int thrown by the hampton qb, i saw 4, our qb threw maybe 2. overall we looked pretty good, timing is still off a little, receivers missed some they should have caught qb either overthrown or underthrown if when the rest of the guys report next week and they all can learn to play as a team we could have a pretty special year. i have seen a big difference in 2 weeks alone. there is alot of good looking young talent. hampton should be pretty strong this year if they get some breaks they will have a special year and should go deep in the playoffs unless they have alot of key people get hurt.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who on board at Elizabethton has credentials to be the Super?

This is the man who told all of you that the drama wasn't over at Cowtown. Now Weems packs his bags and heads out of town. 'The Hill' is rid of outsiders now and they wait at Cowtown as the leader of the Hill is getting his credentials in line so that he can be a Superintendant. Cowtown USA.

Sorry, but I have to agree with others on here. 'Clear the Hill'

This is the man who told all of you that the drama wasn't over at Cowtown. Now Weems packs his bags and heads out of town. 'The Hill' is rid of outsiders now and they wait at Cowtown as the leader of the Hill is getting his credentials in line so that he can be a Superintendant. Cowtown USA.

Sorry, but I have to agree with others on here. 'Clear the Hill'

yea like im sure ed ran him off...... it was weems decision to leave not ed's

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! I don’t know of anyone on here that stood by Betsy more throughout the last few “not so glory” years in Elizabethton then GLEE. You must be some player or parent of a player who has seen Preston’s backside all your or your sons football career. Am I close ?? Look in the mirror and tell me if I’m right. And as far as “some of the coaches in the stands from last year being gone” …if you were smart you would have campaigned to send that crew you had on the sidelines last year up to the stands and put Glee in their place. You would have at the very least beat Unicoi. By the way…who is this kid “listed as one of the top players in the state” and more importantly, where was he last year, or maybe the year before that?? I hate to be the one to break this to you, but YOU seem to be the jealous one here! We all saw the games last year and in my opinion Preston was the only bleep on the map in cow-town last year.

I know you don’t condone this kind of a response Glee, but as long as I have been posting on here you have stuck by and supported your team threw thick and thin more so than ANYBODY. And you don’t deserve to be trashed like these CLOWNS are trying to do.

Wes Anderson doesn't feel the same way as the "jealous" ones. He knows that p was better than him last season. He also knows that P worked harder than he did. Gary knows Wes wouldn't say stuff like that to a fellow dog. Much less a fellow teammate on Gil Paynes Cyclones.

But thank you, CAP, for some motivation. "who is this kid" You'll know.

Wes Anderson doesn't feel the same way as the "jealous" ones. He knows that p was better than him last season. He also knows that P worked harder than he did. Gary knows Wes wouldn't say stuff like that to a fellow dog. Much less a fellow teammate on Gil Paynes Cyclones.

And I remain a Cyclone who stands behind the players and this current revival of a true Cyclone Coaching Staff.

IMAVOL, I don't know who the better QB is/was, but I do know that they are two different players and each could/can hold thier own. Both tough. Both willing to lay it on the line for their teammates. P did all he could for the TEAM last season while a couple of parents cried about 'stat building'. I know exactly who those people where and the 'names' they tried to hide behind on CoachT. What a joke. P would gladly have taken negative stats in trade for 'W's at any time last year. If you don't know that you don't know him or me.

I trully believe that Shawn will pull the rest of the team around him and have them all laying it on the line for each other. That, friend, is the only way to bring back the Cyclones. P & I stand behind Wes Anderson 110% and always have. He is made of the right 'metal'. A great young man and a friend and that is strait from 'The Good Shepperd'. Cyclones, stand tall with your leader and QB and make Elizabethton a proud football town!

GO CYCLONES!!

I went to the DB Elizabethton game last year. I think that was a certain player’s “coming out party”. Even with the lopsided score I think everyone left the stadium that night knowing that Betsy had themselves a gamer @ QB. Maybe this year “the kid” will let his presence be known in the game against the Big East. With that said…I’ll be there August 31st in support of the MLC!!

It has been a while since I have been on the Betsy board. I see some energy. Way to go, Betsy.

Some time when I have more time to post I will recall my memory of the greatest game in USA High School Football History (THS 15, Betsy 14 in the early 70's).

What is the take on Whitten? I understand conditioning is much improved but numbers of players is very low.

Will the Cyclones have a chance of making the playoffs, or are they a year away (considering all the turmoil)?

When I have time later today or tomorrow I will find the program and type the summary of that game.

It has been a while since I have been on the Betsy board. I see some energy. Way to go, Betsy.

Some time when I have more time to post I will recall my memory of the greatest game in USA High School Football History (THS 15, Betsy 14 in the early 70's).

What is the take on Whitten? I understand conditioning is much improved but numbers of players is very low.

Will the Cyclones have a chance of making the playoffs, or are they a year away (considering all the turmoil)?

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the 1972 game. Not sure about the '71 game.

Here is the recap:

The Vikings, defending their number one state ranking in both wire-service polls, defeated Elizabethton 21-15 after coming within four yards of defeat.

The death blow to Elizabethton's upset bid was dealt by George Heath with just over a minute left to play.

The Cyclones had just moved to a first and goal on the THS four, and the 85 yard Betsy march had consumed more than yardage - it had eaten a valuable five minutes off the clock.

Smashes at the Viking line by Dale Fair and Don Buckles showed no improvement for the Cyclones, so quarterback John Norris rolled out in an attempt to run Betsy's version of the option.

Heath crashed in from his outside linebacker post and decked Norris for a four yard loss. "Heath's play was the big one," said Betsy head coach Lynn Goddard. "It was just an outstanding tackle. Then everybody knew we had to throw on fourth down."

Bingham later told how Heath moved from outside linebacker on his usual side to the other side just before his key tackle.

Said Bingham, "George just moved over there and told (defensive back) Gil Kyle, 'You just worry about the pass, I'll take care of the ball carrier.'"

Kyle didn't have to fret about the pass.

And, throw the Cyclones did. Norris looped a pass into the end zone for ace receiver John Goodwin. The ball never again touched Cyclone hands.

Larry Silcox, better known for his pass-receiving talents for the THS offense, picked off the aerial in the end zone and raced to the Elizabethton 46. The Vikings then ran out the clock for their 18th straight victory and sixth in a row for 1972.

In four more regular-season games and three playoffs, the Vikings would not approach defeat nearly so close. No fewer than a dozen prospects, including juniors paraded up and down the field for the college scouts' scrutiny.

"When we had the ball on their four with a first down, I would have bet my house and car and everything I owned that we were going to win the game," said Goddard, whose club rallied from a 21-0 halftime deficit to completely dominate Tennessee High in the closing half.

"But, the test of a championship team is how it plays when it counts. And, down there on the four it really counts and Tennessee High made the plays that beat us."

Before the game, Goddard had predicted, "The winner of this game will win the state championship."

Kyle dashed 80 yards on the games first scrimmage play to give Tennessee High an early edge. Later, an eight-yard touchdown run by Heath and David Bibee's 12 yard scoring scamper built a 21-0 Viking lead and threatened to turn the game into a rout, especially when Cyclone Fair's 75 yard TD punt return was called back on a clip.

The Cyclones went 59 yards to score after the second-half kickoff. Buckles, Goddard's ace kicker who was almost a sure bet if Betsy had tied the game in the closing minutes, punched across for the touchdown from the one after a 24 yard Norris to Goodwin pass kept the drive alive.

Less than two minutes later, Elizabethton had cut the gap to 21-15.

The Cyclones came up with a Bibee fumble, one of five THS turnovers, at the Viking 29 on the Maroon's first scrimmage play of the second half.

THS 7 14 0 0 21

EHS 0 0 15 0 15

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the 1972 game. Not sure about the '71 game.

Here is the recap:

The Vikings, defending their number one state ranking in both wire-service polls, defeated Elizabethton 21-15 after coming within four yards of defeat.

The death blow to Elizabethton's upset bid was dealt by George Heath with just over a minute left to play.

The Cyclones had just moved to a first and goal on the THS four, and the 85 yard Betsy march had consumed more than yardage - it had eaten a valuable five minutes off the clock.

Smashes at the Viking line by Dale Fair and Don Buckles showed no improvement for the Cyclones, so quarterback John Norris rolled out in an attempt to run Betsy's version of the option.

Heath crashed in from his outside linebacker post and decked Norris for a four yard loss. "Heath's play was the big one," said Betsy head coach Lynn Goddard. "It was just an outstanding tackle. Then everybody knew we had to throw on fourth down."

Bingham later told how Heath moved from outside linebacker on his usual side to the other side just before his key tackle.

Said Bingham, "George just moved over there and told (defensive back) Gil Kyle, 'You just worry about the pass, I'll take care of the ball carrier.'"

Kyle didn't have to fret about the pass.

And, throw the Cyclones did. Norris looped a pass into the end zone for ace receiver John Goodwin. The ball never again touched Cyclone hands.

Larry Silcox, better known for his pass-receiving talents for the THS offense, picked off the aerial in the end zone and raced to the Elizabethton 46. The Vikings then ran out the clock for their 18th straight victory and sixth in a row for 1972.

In four more regular-season games and three playoffs, the Vikings would not approach defeat nearly so close. No fewer than a dozen prospects, including juniors paraded up and down the field for the college scouts' scrutiny.

"When we had the ball on their four with a first down, I would have bet my house and car and everything I owned that we were going to win the game," said Goddard, whose club rallied from a 21-0 halftime deficit to completely dominate Tennessee High in the closing half.

"But, the test of a championship team is how it plays when it counts. And, down there on the four it really counts and Tennessee High made the plays that beat us."

Before the game, Goddard had predicted, "The winner of this game will win the state championship."

Kyle dashed 80 yards on the games first scrimmage play to give Tennessee High an early edge. Later, an eight-yard touchdown run by Heath and David Bibee's 12 yard scoring scamper built a 21-0 Viking lead and threatened to turn the game into a rout, especially when Cyclone Fair's 75 yard TD punt return was called back on a clip.

The Cyclones went 59 yards to score after the second-half kickoff. Buckles, Goddard's ace kicker who was almost a sure bet if Betsy had tied the game in the closing minutes, punched across for the touchdown from the one after a 24 yard Norris to Goodwin pass kept the drive alive.

Less than two minutes later, Elizabethton had cut the gap to 21-15.

The Cyclones came up with a Bibee fumble, one of five THS turnovers, at the Viking 29 on the Maroon's first scrimmage play of the second half.

THS 7 14 0 0 21

EHS 0 0 15 0 15

You are correct on your fall, the fall of 72. I was fortunate to play in the closest games the vikings had in the fall of 1971 as they beat us toppers 13-7 and we had 4th and goal inside the 7 and our QB threw the ball out of bounds thinking it was 3rd down. The previous play we thought we had hit Jeff Blackburn for a TD at the back of the endzone and Jeff was ruled to be out of bounds. Good call on film.