Father Ryan vs. Hillwood

I totally agree that academics come first. But to stay competitive in football in Div II, you must make a like effort to your competition. If you don't most of the time you will be in the middle or toward the bottom of the pack. Academics do not have to suffer in order to be competitive in football. Just take a look around at BA,MBA, Memphis University School, Christian Brothers, Baylor, McCallie, they all have excellant academics and great football teams.

Brentwood Academy and academics? Come on now. And since there's a smile after that you might be being sarcastic. I hope.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last season that Father Ryan had a winning regular season and a winning record in their conference?

Ryan's last winning regular season was 1999: 6-3 (3-0 vs. DI, 3-3 vs. DII-Large) and a first round playoff loss to McCallie.

Ryan's last winning regular season with a winning conference record was 1998: 8-2 (3-0 vs. DI, 1-0 vs. DII-Small, 4-2 vs. DII-Large) and a first round playoff loss to MBA.

Link

• 4 weeks later...

With such an easy schedule Father Ryan should be able to break .500

8/24/07 Hillwood

8/31/07 JPII

9/7/07 BGA

9/14/07 Overton

9/21/07 McCallie

9/28/07 CPA

10/5/07 Knox Webb

10/19/07 Ensworth

10/26/07 MBA

11/2/07 BA

As for what I think Ryan will do against Hillwood I think they will blow themout of the water 21-0

Are you saying the following:

1. Some board members and administrators have little concern with winning in athletics and feel that having a team is good enough?

2. Board members, coaching staffs and the administration does not want to encourage athletes to attend Father Ryan?

3. Montgomery Bell Academy and other private schools have convinced some of the better athletes from the parochial league to forgoe Catholic education and attend MBA? What does the Bishop have to say about this major problem?

4. The Pope John Paul II football coaches are attending parochial league games and working to get the players to attend JPII while the Father Ryan coaches are busy doing something else?

5. The parochial league is not nearly as strong as it once was?

If all of this is true then it will take some major changes for Father Ryan to ever be able to compete in D2AAA.

I do have three (3) additional questions for you:

1. Why do they win big in freshmen football but they loose big on the varsity level? Are they not being developed?

2. How can the wrestling team win big with the same athletes that football seems to loose with?

3. How are the girls making it work? Are they not drawing from the same athletic talent pool as the boys?

I have been a FR follower for years and years. I believe it started with the principal before McIntyre. He was more into the arts programs (theatre, band, etc...) The parochial league has been just as strong as ever. And I know for a fact that Father Ryan is attending parochial league games and not "busy doing something else." The coaches attend and players who attend must wear father ryan football shirts, etc... Wrestling is a different sport than football, and wrestling has always been the top sport at Ryan, always. I believe every year the freshman team is so dominate because of the bonding and how well the team always jells with each other. When the Jemison era took place after Page left it seemed the older the boys got the more down they got on themselves and on each other. Which made the team altogether lose its Father Ryan reputation and dominance. And after the past year of 5-5 and a playoff appearance, i truly believe the team is getting its reputation back and holding its head higher.

You may very well be correct but out of the "SUPER 7" who will they be able to beat?

MBA

McCallie

Baylor

Brentwood Academy

Christian Brothers

MUS

Barely lost to McCallie last year, Was tied with BA at half last year...i know its last year but i wanna throw that in there

FR should be able to beat any of those teams on any night

CBHS, MBA, MUS would not be a shoker to me

• 2 weeks later...