CoachT

Who is the favorite in 2007?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the favorite in 2007?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going out on a limb to be the first predicter (assuming there is such a word). The 5 teams from the E/M will be BA, MBA, Baylor, McCallie and Father Ryan, in no particular order. From the West, I'll take CBHS, MUS and ECS.

Wow What a limb too go out on..l.m.a.o

I knew when the Division II-AA teams moved up we would have to put up with the "Super 7" Snobs but I didnt think the bashing would start so early. Not even a scrimmage and you all are writing off Webb & JPII. I think both of these schools stand a good shot of making into the playoffs. From Watching Webb the last 4 years I have noticed it doesnt matter who they put on the field They have a great coach that has a great offensive scheme and his team can play with anyone any given week. As for JPII Yes we all know They lost Tate. But they have a returning QB, a O-Line that averages about 255, A good back in Wesley Tate who unlike his older brother will bust it up the middle, and a couple of good recievers in the 6'+ with good hands.

So all of the super7 snobs should save writing off Webb and JPII at least untill your teams play them!

Knight007

I knew when the Division II-AA teams moved up we would have to put up with the "Super 7" Snobs but I didnt think the bashing would start so early. Not even a scrimmage and you all are writing off Webb & JPII. I think both of these schools stand a good shot of making into the playoffs. From Watching Webb the last 4 years I have noticed it doesnt matter who they put on the field They have a great coach that has a great offensive scheme and his team can play with anyone any given week. As for JPII Yes we all know They lost Tate. But they have a returning QB, a O-Line that averages about 255, A good back in Wesley Tate who unlike his older brother will bust it up the middle, and a couple of good recievers in the 6'+ with good hands.

So all of the super7 snobs should save writing off Webb and JPII at least untill your teams play them!

Knight007

Knight

I agree that Webb and JPII will not be pushovers. I never said they were. I just think on the balance of the season that they will fall in behind BA, MBA, Baylor, McCallie and Father Ryan. Last year (and probably the year before that), I would have voted differntly. Who do you predict will be the 5 from the E/M?

Let's not confuse snobbery with realization of facts. Since the beginning of Division II in 1997, the six schools joining the new league went a combined 11-37 (23% winning percentage) versus the original Super 7 schools (i.e., Briarcrest is excluded from the results since BCS was primarily DII-AA during the past 10 years). For what it's worth, a 23% winning percentage isn't horrible, relatively; only DI-5A (28%) had a better winning percentage during that period from 1997-2006, and DI as a whole won only 21% of the time versus DII-AAA.

I'm certainly not writing off any of the new additions (and am surprised Ensworth and Ricky Bowers aren't getting any love as far as the new additions are concerned), and think these schools will blend in with the league over time. But let's be realistic - the original Super 7 represented a historical who's who of Tennessee high school football. Three of the top five winningest Tennessee programs (MBA #2, Baylor #3, McCallie #5) and the top Tennessee program in terms of all-time winning percenatge (Brentwood Academy, 83%) were all found in the original Super 7. It's going to be a tough transition for the new teams to the league, but they will be fine over time, and fortunately, history has no bearing on the present come Friday nights this season.

Knight007

just as rollredroll mentioned, its not "snobbery"...its just a confidence that the original Super 7 schools will continue to perform as though they have since the induction of the public/private split versus schools from other leagues. its a different "brand" of football, and anyone whos watched or participated in enough Super 7 games can tell you about it. nobody's downing the ecs's, webbs, jp2s, etc., were merely proclaiming our opinion as to who we believe the better football teams will be this upcoming football season.

Knight007

Oh No. Another whining JPII fan or parent or coach or player or former player who whines about bashing when people are simply giving their opinions as to how this season will shake out. I find it strange that you compare Knoxville Webb with JPII. I believe that calling the Super Seven Snobs will only further your precarious position that your football team finds itself in this season. You make a prediction, how do you think that JPII will do against Ryan, Baylor, MBA, McCallie, etc this season or next season. Your running back or quarterback don't have Tator Tot as a distraction to the other teams defense this season. They can be focused on more players this season. My prediction is that the clock has struck twelve this year on JPII and probably next year too. So send the Irish a bottle of polish, the cup will remain in Irishland.

ive FINALLY found out the rest of the 2007 CBHS football schedule and noticed theyre only playing 4 d2aa west region teams. theres only five total teams in the west region, so it makes sense, but i was wondering how the middle/east region(s) is doing this. are those teams only playing four region games as well, or are they playing 5 or 6?

jw. i thought it was interesting, and figured i would ask.

ive FINALLY found out the rest of the 2007 CBHS football schedule and noticed theyre only playing 4 d2aa west region teams. theres only five total teams in the west region, so it makes sense, but i was wondering how the middle/east region(s) is doing this. are those teams only playing four region games as well, or are they playing 5 or 6?

jw. i thought it was interesting, and figured i would ask.

Each is playing six, then i guess top 5 teams based on region record get in. Not sure how they would do a tie breaker though?

This year looks more wide open to me than Ive seen in several years. I would have to give the edge to BA (with Potter's offense and their talent) but there are several teams that just need a few kids to step up and there could be some big surprises.

jw.....who do you see as those teams who could be the surprises? inquiring minds want to know. lol.