all-state candidates

Indian

Here are some players I hope get some thought as all-state even though their teams fell short of making state. It's easy to pick some of the best from teams like Soddy-Daisy, Forrest, etc this year but here are some others that did about as much as they could even though their teams didn't make it as far as they wanted:

Class AA

Maranda Mounce, Sequatchie County shortstop-sr-Hit .581 with on-base percentage of .636. 54 hits in 30 games, walked 14 times, five triples. Played great in the field at shortstop.

Kelly Swafford, Sequatchie County pitcher-sr-hit .450 with on-base percentage of .559. 32 RBI in 30 games, 21 walks. 11-6 record pitching, 0.89 ERA, .134 opponents batting average, 11 K's, 3.4 hits allowed per seven innings, 176 K's and 10 walks for the season. School record 20 K's vs Bledsoe County, 6-2, 0.50 ERA before arm trouble caused her to miss 2 weeks late, clearly different after she came back.

Mounce and Swafford were all-state as jr's and are 2 of just 5 Class AA players listed as signing with Division I schools on the signing list (so far).

Others:

Megan Elliot, sr P East Ridge, Class AA

Kelly Carlton, sr SS Whitwell, Class A

Kiri Krupp, jr P Sale Creek, Class A

Angie Castle, jr P Whitwell, Class A

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dono

No question about Forrest's pitcher Ann Marie Odum, 22-0, 0.06 ERA thru regular

season, team 34-3 overall. Team played and beat a bunch of good 2A and 3A teams during reg. season and tournyment play.

Also from Forrest, Leigh Beasley, catcher. Good bat, strong arm, great blocker and field general.

Candice Littrell, SS, Columbia Academy. Big, quick, strong arm, great glove, power hitter(led team in home runs). Probably the best team in class A that didn't make it to the show.

Brittany Johnson, Richland HS; sophmore (15) pitcher.

Throws 63-65 mph: Excellent Bat, has size and speed, also plays CF. Everyone will know this gal before she's through.

I agree with most you say, but in this post Ohio Valley Conference is not Division 1 (UT Martin & TN Tech).

I have read a lot of good things about our local pitchers in the area but when it comes to crunch time against the "big" teams whom would you want on the mound? A doctored ERA and being a local legend is no good when playing against talented teams.

I have to ask which players you were talking about in the second part of your post. I didn't claim the ones I mentioned were better than the best players from teams that won more games locally, just that these deserved recognition. If you think the two in particular I gave numbers on had inflated statistics or didn't play good competition, maybe you should look and see they played the AAA champ, the A champ, the Division II runner-up and several more good teams like that. The leadoff hitter had an average of .581, if she had not started slowly after finishing basketball it may have finished over .600 (average around .350 after 2 weeks). The pitcher did not do as well as she wanted especially just before the season ended, but maybe her best game of the year was against the best AA team they played, East Ridge, 10 strikeouts, 0 unearned runs, 5 hits (though the team lost 5-0). If you don't think they can play since they are from a rural team, look at their results in summer play last year and previous years, Mounce had the highest batting average on a team with several girls who were in Chattanooga this week, and Swafford has been the top pitcher and one of the top few batters on her team for years-and it also included several who were in Chattanooga this week. Her team had 2 summer national titles also. No, this doesn't mean they're the best players in the state, but it's wrong to assume they can't play at a high level because they didn't make it as far as they wanted and their school team clearly wasn't as strong as others.

[Edited by Indian on 5/26/02 2:18P]

It's hard to ignore the softball mentally challenged on this board but sometimes you just have to. The "major programs" are not always the big names from other sports. You know that as well as I. In Tennessee I would rank the top five as UTC, TN Tech, MTSU, Chattanooga State (yes a junior college) then UT. This may change for UT but I still see Frank Reid and the UTC team as remaining at the top.

It is my feeling that softball athletes are more driven by their academic needs than their pursuit of major teams. They seem to have their heads in the right place and are taking care of what really counts in the long run, a good education.

I like to read your reports on the Chattanooga area and please keep them up during the summer. I'm dropping back as an assistant to 16U T. E. Elite and will be there next week for the memorial tourney so if you are there come up and introduce yourself (I'll be the skinny coach). I had the gold team last year but most are too old so the Wrights have joined Parker. Our little 16 year old team will be fairly strong.

[Edited by std on 5/26/02 8:06P]

I might just have Chattanooga State higher ;) I saw them beat Tennessee Tech 10-0 in a fall game I think in 2000 that wasn't that close. You may have read what I put before I edited the post, sorry if that's confusing..I didn't want to get "into it" much further with someone that doesn't get at least some of college softball and who seems to want to bash other players for some reason instead of building up those from team(s) she follows.