Very true article

wingman10

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to lay the law down Smokey B! great article! I think all coaches would do away with the booster program if they could afford it, but the bottom line is everything in todays' society that is negative, is someone elses' fault. This goes for sports, politics, entertainment whatever. I hope Stanton Stevens can get his situation fixed because he is a great guy and leads by example. he works hard and expects the same from his team and that just did not happen last season. I'll stop now because I dont feel like offending anyone today...peace to all

The best policy is to not talk to parents at all. As for boosters, most think hard work equals playing time. If you feel it is necessary to talk to a parent, playing time is off limits and so is play calling. Most parents have nothing to talk about when you eliminate these two topics. These topics are for a player and his coach only. One on one in private.

Very good article with very valid view points on todays society. I do have a different view on the parents at practice though. Years ago when I played I remember there always being someone (not sure if they were parents) standing around the fence watching the goings on. Maybe if some parents came to practice they could see for themselves why someone else is getting more playing time than their child. Instead of coming to a game and saying my kid can do better than that. I think the problem is the difference between being there to support the players, coaches and program, not just coming when something you disagree with happens and making your presence known. I always asked my sons coaches if they minded my being at practice before the season started and not one ever had a problem with it. I have asked a few college coaches and they said they encourage it. I am curious as to why you would ban parents from practice if they are just there to watch and enjoy?

A more troubling issue for me is when an opponent comes to play us and they have 60 players, 60 band members, 20 cheerleaders and 10 managers, but there only 120 people in the stands. Where are these kids supporters at?

There are two sides to this subject. Obviously, I'm a parent. I have never discussed anything with "my" coaches except "what can I do to help".

The times I felt something needed to be said I pondered what the outcome would be and decided to be quiet. All in all, there are good parents and bad...as far as behavior is concerned. As well, there are good coaches and bad. This thread is about the bad parent behavior and the good coaches. I see no division between either groups. As with winning and losing so is positive communication and negative communication nothing more than good or bad management. Some coaches have that special touch. Many coaches don't. Some parents are compasionate...many are not. If you look at the unsuccessful programs you will see bad management. If you look at the successful programs you will see the oposite. The responsiblity lies in the coaches lap as to how he will manage his situation. It is a management job. Managing resources. Taking a couple of fish and feeding many...turning water into wine. It can be a thankless job...like being a waitress...or a nurse...or a teacher...or a policeman. So, some coaches have 3 figure salaries? That would be a successful manager. In the 60's a coaches word was gospel. His actions as well. If someone spanked your child then they needed it and they got it again when they got home. Yes, society is out of control. And we are suffering the consequenses. Are you a militant parent? Then yes you should shut up! Are you an unsuccessful coach? Then you should expect parents on your back! The problem feeds on itself. The coaches can't lose their temper, can't use foul language, can't touch your athlete...for fear of a lawsuit. The parent gives the coach a top shelf prospect only to watch him wilt away as he nears the senior year. It is a total communication breakdown. Here's the problem. The coaches are not tough enough...maybe for fear of recourse or just because they are lame. The parents are not supportive enough...because they think somebody owes them something. The result...an unsuccessful program. It takes two to tango. Great coaches know this and work it like a new boy. My take...parents, do your job and maybe the coaches could do theirs...coaches, crank it up a notch and dare anybody to complain! A little old school would do a world of good.

The best policy is to not talk to parents at all. As for boosters, most think hard work equals playing time. If you feel it is necessary to talk to a parent, playing time is off limits and so is play calling. Most parents have nothing to talk about when you eliminate these two topics. These topics are for a player and his coach only. One on one in private.

One of the best coaches in the state will tell you that if you want discuss playing time or play calling, he will be glad to discuss it with the parent and then remove the player from the team, period. I have never heard of a parent questioning his coaching abilities. This has worked for over ten years now and I never even thought about questioning the coaches decisions.

One of the best coaches in the state will tell you that if you want discuss playing time or play calling, he will be glad to discuss it with the parent and then remove the player from the team, period. I have never heard of a parent questioning his coaching abilities. This has worked for over ten years now and I never even thought about questioning the coaches decisions.

I only had to do this one season, in basketball. "If your parent calls or comes up to me with a why question you will need to take your things and leave. So, emphasize to mom and dad to ask only when or where questions."

I only had to do this one season, in basketball. "If your parent calls or comes up to me with a why question you will need to take your things and leave. So, emphasize to mom and dad to ask only when or where questions."

Offer the parent your whistle...... She turned and walked away and didn't say another hostile word toward me for the next 2 years. To top it off her son improved greatly afterward and she actually approached me and thanked me at the end of his last year!

Offer the parent your whistle...... She turned and walked away and didn't say another hostile word toward me for the next 2 years. To top it off her son improved greatly afterward and she actually approached me and thanked me at the end of his last year!

I see both sides of this one, being a parent and a coach (not my son's team). Playing time should be discussed between the coach and player only and these types of issues need to be laid out in a meeting with the parents ahead of time. Heading off these issues before they come up is the best way. On the parent's side, most are use to the recreation sports world where everyone plays and gets a trophy. Once their kids get to playing middle school or school sports it is a different game. Coaches need to be accessable and upfront with parents. Parents and booster clubs are called on to spend and raise huge amounts of money to supplement the money provided. Coaches need to do a better job communicating expectations to parents and players. If this is done, the problems are minimized.