TSSAA Calendar for Volleyball 2007-2008

PageMan

Here is a link to the TSSAA concerning Volleyball dates and definitions:

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/2007VBCalendar.pdf

Here are some of the more important points:

July 30, 2007 - Practice begins

Pre-season Scrimmages: A school cannot practice with or scrimmage another school until both schools have practiced a minimum of three days. A school may have a maximum of 4 pre-season scrimmages or 2 pre-season dates or 1 pre-season scrimmage date and 2 pre-season scrimmages.

Tournament: All tournaments shall be held on consecutive days with no other regular season games being played during the tournament unless permission is granted by the Executive director. A tournament is defined as a competition of three or more teams and three or more games, matches, etc which progress to determine a winner.

Maximum number of contests: 35 matches, 4 tournaments with each tournament counting as 3 matches.

Any comments?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, rolltide418. Since I am not a coach I cannot attend this event. I would be interested in hearing about any rule changes from any coach that does attend. Maybe TheGreatLineJudge can enlighten us on any new rules that he knows about. Maybe the libero can serve this season? Perhaps our other moderator, play4keeps, knows something as well.

August 1st = rules meeting for middle Tennessee coaches. The meeting is at 5:30 at FRA.

And, if I'm not mistaken, there is a scorekeeper's clinic at 7:00pm on Tuesday, August 7th at Pope John Paul II. If the GLJ would confirm that, too, that would be wonderful. I know of a few people planning on attending.

Thanks!

Maybe the libero can serve this season?

My understanding is that the Libero serving rule was experimental last year but fully instituted this year so the Libero CAN serve during regular and post-season matches according to NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations). TSSAA (as well as most state athletic organizations) is a member and therefore abides by most, if not all, the rules they institute.

Look HERE for rule changes.

Thanks, play4keeps. As a former BS (Boy Scout), I like to know the rules and follow them religiously. I guess I can't blast my PA while the other team serves anymore, can I? It's is good that the high school rules are getting more in line with the college rules concerning the Libero serving. I liked seeing that in the college matches I've seen and it should add something to the high school game as well.

It's is good that the high school rules are getting more in line with the college rules concerning the Libero serving. I liked seeing that in the college matches I've seen and it should add something to the high school game as well.

And to add yet another twist here, you won't see Libero serving at the club level as they are governed by International rules (FIVB) and not NCAA. Although the JO club system is primarily the breeding ground for NCAA players they are not governed by their rules so the only new rules you see implemented in JO club volleyball are rules adopted internationally. Strange, stupid, but true

Catnash is correct about the scorekeeping clinic.

-The biggest change this year is indeed that the libero serves in one position from now on, consistent with NCAA rules and procedures.

The short-n-sweet version of the rule is this: If the Libero replaces player #10, who is listed on the lineup in serving position 3, and serves for #10, the Libero is bound to serve only in position 3. It doesn't matter who or how often #10 gets substituted for - the Libero may only serve in that position every rotation.

-A new section was added about artificial noisemakers. It's more of a guideline for host management and game management.. hopefully we'll never need to use it!

-Coaches now may stand up until the official puts out his/her arm to beckon for serve. After that, they must be seated.

-The point signal has changed. Instead of the former "Violation, Point" type signal, it's now "Violation, Side-Out". Why we can't do what USA and now NCAA do, I don't know. NFHS always wants to put their own stamp on things. But, it's still a point every play, NOT merely a side-out.

Here is a link to the TSSAA concerning Volleyball dates and definitions:

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/2007VBCalendar.pdf

Here are some of the more important points:

July 30, 2007 - Practice begins

Pre-season Scrimmages: A school cannot practice with or scrimmage another school until both schools have practiced a minimum of three days. A school may have a maximum of 4 pre-season scrimmages or 2 pre-season dates or 1 pre-season scrimmage date and 2 pre-season scrimmages.

Tournament: All tournaments shall be held on consecutive days with no other regular season games being played during the tournament unless permission is granted by the Executive director. A tournament is defined as a competition of three or more teams and three or more games, matches, etc which progress to determine a winner.

Maximum number of contests: 35 matches, 4 tournaments with each tournament counting as 3 matches.

Any comments?

Ok. This may be very obvious, but I am missing it. Does the pre-season scrimmage rule only apply after July 30? Is that why team camps like Brentwood are legal? Obviously they are over the maximum allowed according to the rule.

My understanding of this rule is that team camps are not scrimmages because results and/or scores are not officially kept. Teams are just there learning skills and coaches are trying out different things. Since teams can not practice until July 30 and can not officially scrimmage until they have practiced 3 days, I guess this camp and others fall outside the rules for 2007-2008.

My understanding of this rule is that team camps are not scrimmages because results and/or scores are not officially kept. Teams are just there learning skills and coaches are trying out different things. Since teams can not practice until July 30 and can not officially scrimmage until they have practiced 3 days, I guess this camp and others fall outside the rules for 2007-2008.

I would certainly hope that this is what happened. I think there was a Chattanooga event that happened about the same time and would have fallen under the same situation. PM, you do realize it was very difficult to get scoring information and it was very unofficial and non existant in some situations. These rule situations, while needed, are getting more and more complicated and I am afraid the Tssaa has let this situation get out of control with too many rules which for the benefit of HS Sports, is getting out of hand.

VBall is a v ery fast growing sport and there are a lot of parents spending a lot of money along with a lot of schools. Along with this, the season along with practice, only lasts a little over two months. Look at how many players are playing and the amount of money being generated and turned over. And then just look at the picky rules being generated just to try to keep the sport in tact. What is amazing is the administrative cost that has to be involved with the rules involved in all of HS sports. Some day somone will look at this and say "Why are we spending so much money in administration along with all of the money being spent by parents and what are we getting for it". With the short season, there is no doubt that coaches are continuing to look at ways to find ways outside of the rules to provide learning skills that are wanted by their constituants. For some of you what attended these camps, it was amazing to me the numbers of fans who were there and the numbers of teams. I think the reason was there are a number of VERY GOOD coaches that know how to put on something like this and have a number of other good coaches who support them and that number is growing. It is not going to stop because it is filling a need and whether the TSSAA realizes it or not, this is quickly becoming a very quality sport and is being filled around it with great clubs and technical training that will help some student athletes with their future schooling. It's hoped that the TSSAA will find ways to enhance it and continue to find ways to make the adminsitration as quality as the game is becoming.