TSSAA Calendar for Volleyball 2007-2008

PageMan

My understanding of this rule is that team camps are not scrimmages because results and/or scores are not officially kept. Teams are just there learning skills and coaches are trying out different things. Since teams can not practice until July 30 and can not officially scrimmage until they have practiced 3 days, I guess this camp and others fall outside the rules for 2007-2008.

I would certainly hope that this is what happened. I think there was a Chattanooga event that happened about the same time and would have fallen under the same situation. PM, you do realize it was very difficult to get scoring information and it was very unofficial and non existant in some situations. These rule situations, while needed, are getting more and more complicated and I am afraid the Tssaa has let this situation get out of control with too many rules which for the benefit of HS Sports, is getting out of hand.

VBall is a v ery fast growing sport and there are a lot of parents spending a lot of money along with a lot of schools. Along with this, the season along with practice, only lasts a little over two months. Look at how many players are playing and the amount of money being generated and turned over. And then just look at the picky rules being generated just to try to keep the sport in tact. What is amazing is the administrative cost that has to be involved with the rules involved in all of HS sports. Some day somone will look at this and say "Why are we spending so much money in administration along with all of the money being spent by parents and what are we getting for it". With the short season, there is no doubt that coaches are continuing to look at ways to find ways outside of the rules to provide learning skills that are wanted by their constituants. For some of you what attended these camps, it was amazing to me the numbers of fans who were there and the numbers of teams. I think the reason was there are a number of VERY GOOD coaches that know how to put on something like this and have a number of other good coaches who support them and that number is growing. It is not going to stop because it is filling a need and whether the TSSAA realizes it or not, this is quickly becoming a very quality sport and is being filled around it with great clubs and technical training that will help some student athletes with their future schooling. It's hoped that the TSSAA will find ways to enhance it and continue to find ways to make the adminsitration as quality as the game is becoming.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding was that the new rules instituted by TSSAA didn't go into effect until July 30. Next summer the rules will have to be followed and those camps will be a thing of the past.

That is only my interpretation and it may be wrong. If so, I would certainly love to be corrected.

My understanding of this rule is that team camps are not scrimmages because results and/or scores are not officially kept. Teams are just there learning skills and coaches are trying out different things. Since teams can not practice until July 30 and can not officially scrimmage until they have practiced 3 days, I guess this camp and others fall outside the rules for 2007-2008.

Reasons for those to not be scrimmages:

1. No sanctioned officials there.

2. Still in summer, not in formal pre-season.

3. Biggest reason: you don't pay the host school to play in scrimmages.

Just my thoughts.

Reasons for those to not be scrimmages:

1. No sanctioned officials there.

2. Still in summer, not in formal pre-season.

3. Biggest reason: you don't pay the host school to play in scrimmages.

Just my thoughts.

TGLJ is correct, as always, as there certainly weren't sanctioned officials as most of the officials were former players and there weren't any line judges at all - calls were made from the chair. There was a fee charged to attend this camp as was the other team camp I attended at Eagleville earlier in the summer.

There was a fee charged to attend this camp as was the other team camp I attended at Eagleville earlier in the summer.

And what, exactly, do you get (as a team) for the fee paid? Instruction? No. The chance to scrimmage (sorry but that's what it was) and touch the ball before the official start of the season.

I can see why this practice of high schools hosting these so-called "camps" would come into question. I think they should just open the season 2 weeks earlier.

And what, exactly, do you get (as a team) for the fee paid?

I'm guessing the fee went to pay the former players who served as officials. I also assume that the concessions were a money maker for the schools involved. There could have been other expenses that were paid by the host school from the fees charged.

My understanding was that the new rules instituted by TSSAA didn't go into effect until July 30. Next summer the rules will have to be followed and those camps will be a thing of the past.

That is only my interpretation and it may be wrong. If so, I would certainly love to be corrected.

Correct about new rules not being in effect until July 30. However, the new calendar also includes the following:

July 7, 2008 – July 26, 2008 15 days of practice permitted, 10 of which may

involve competition with another school(s)

I'm not an attorney or TSSAA rep, but my interpretation is that these summer camps that take place before the official start of practice will still happen under the above guidelines.