Magnificent Seven and Boots Save the Day

In a move that Las Vegas bookmakers wouldn't have touched a few months ago, a local group of businessman signed a binding letter of agreement to purchase the Nashville Predators- and keep them in the Music City!

With the stroke of the pen, (and a $10 million check), the group put the first money toward the estimated $193 million purchase price. Next step is the NHL Board of Governors.

In a related item, Jim Balsillie continued his season ticket drive in Hamilton, Ontario, for any team now not named the Predators.

Nashville's White Knights have apparently saved the day.

Now it is up to the fans, the community, and the rest to support this new ownership and show the rest of the league that Nashville is here to stay.

In a move that Las Vegas bookmakers wouldn't have touched a few months ago, a local group of businessman signed a binding letter of agreement to purchase the Nashville Predators- and keep them in the Music City!

With the stroke of the pen, (and a $10 million check), the group put the first money toward the estimated $193 million purchase price. Next step is the NHL Board of Governors.

In a related item, Jim Balsillie continued his season ticket drive in Hamilton, Ontario, for any team now not named the Predators.

Now it is up to the fans, the community, and the rest to support this new ownership and show the rest of the league that Nashville is here to stay.

I am very pleased to hear this, I think that Nashville is a good sports town contrary to what the national media says. I know that Hockey isn't supported well in this area but I feel that a good run in the playoffs is all the Preds need. Although, I thought it would be last year.

I think there is a misconception about what is going on with the Predators even in Nashville. People tend to think that the Preds are not supported by the everday fan and this is not the case at all. Just go to one of the games and you will not find a seat in the areas that are affordable to the common fan. Mezzanine level and up. There is a certain section in the top (I think 330) that has the most knowledgeable fans who know many chants and songs and are always vocal. The only open seats are on the bottom close to the glass. This is where the big money is and where most hockey towns sell tickets to corperations that in turn give to them employees and to clients. Here in lies the problem in Nashville. No coperate sponsership. Even when those seats are empty opposing teams know they are in Nashville because of the high energy fans we have. If you do not believe me then go to a game. You will have great time as all our fans do. It is just too expensive for a working man to drop $500 on floor tickets for a family of four. So I too am excited at the possibility of local ownership not because I think prices will go down but because I think the community will rally around Tennessee Ownership and you will see a full house with more coperate sponsership. We can only wait and see.

This is certainly welcome news...... And stealing Boots to boot.... Can't help wondering if the Boots deal is there just in case Nashville doesn't aquire the corporate support needed. The fans are there. The corporations now need to understand what the Preds can mean to business.

The power brokers are in place to shake the corporate tree, imo.

The Sommet Center is always loud.... can't imagine a full house every nite and the atmosphere....It will be incredible and I believe worth 5 wins. My tics are in place.... I cannot wait..... Live hockey is so entertaining.

This whole process- of losing the franchise to Balsillie, potentially moving it to Kansas City, and then back to local ownership- caused the business and sporting communities within Nashville to look at a much bigger picture.

The big picture that came into view was that if the Predators moved away,the city would take a huge hit in the eyes of many who are looking at Nashville from the outside. Those eyes include everyone the Chamber is in touch with about relocating to Nashville for more jobs, the Convention bureau that touts the many things to do in our city, and the sports world that is still trying to figure us out. Not to mention, the downtown businesses that have come and often prospered because of the Sommet Center and the nights it has entertainment. Whether or not you like hockey, the greater issue became whether or not you wanted to see Nashville move forward and build upon it's success and reputation. The region as a whole benefits when good things are happenning in your core city.

The other issue, which became PAINFULLY obvious, is the total lack of interest until the 11th hour and 58th minute from the Mayor's office. If you listen to the press conference, Freeman went out of his way to thank the mayor "who LAST WEEK cleared time off of his BUSY calendar to meet with us and to show SUPPORT for our efforts." What a wonderful back-handed compliment.

IMO, it won't be too soon when he leaves office and can go back to his East Bank crudite'-munching, self-important, bookworm liberal cronies and get out of the way for some progress. Just maybe we can get a Sounds stadium downtown now!

Karl Dean and Bob Clement in a run-off in the mayor's race.

The Sounds stadium deal collapsed this winter, wrangling between the developer, the owners of the Sounds, and the city.

Purcell never really supported the idea, although he likes the idea of mixed use residential and restaurants and the ball park was an unfortunate evil. He wanted to put in an amphitheater there for concerts (I guess Starwood was too far away from the East Bank). To me, that is a silly idea, as just blocks away is a fine area for concerts that has been held at that location for years- the stage on the Riverfront. I guess Nashville doesn't have enough Music venues.

The one thing he did do before he leaves office is erect a goofy-looking metal sculpture that looks like what you would throw in the back of the dumptruck if you dismantled a roller coaster. This thing sits on the East Bank (of course) right in front of LP Field.

The general consensus is that a new mayor would restart the process. MLB has given the city an extension, but that runs out soon. The stadium is the worst in AAA, and is lapped by even most recent AA parks.

The Sounds can't get something done, they will either move out toward Franklin, Smyrna, or leave town all together.

It will happen one way or the other in the next year.

Karl Dean and Bob Clement in a run-off in the mayor's race.The Sounds stadium deal collapsed this winter, wrangling between the developer, the owners of the Sounds, and the city.Purcell never really supported the idea, although he likes the idea of mixed use residential and restaurants and the ball park was an unfortunate evil. He wanted to put in an amphitheater there for concerts (I guess Starwood was too far away from the East Bank). To me, that is a silly idea, as just blocks away is a fine area for concerts that has been held at that location for years- the stage on the Riverfront. I guess Nashville doesn't have enough Music venues. The one thing he did do before he leaves office is erect a goofy-looking metal sculpture that looks like what you would throw in the back of the dumptruck if you dismantled a roller coaster. This thing sits on the East Bank (of course) right in front of LP Field.The general consensus is that a new mayor would restart the process. MLB has given the city an extension, but that runs out soon. The stadium is the worst in AAA, and is lapped by even most recent AA parks.The Sounds can't get something done, they will either move out toward Franklin, Smyrna, or leave town all together.It will happen one way or the other in the next year.

I don't see Clement helping anything sports related....and the Preds are looking for a new deal with the city.... Don't know much about Dean. Clement keeps promising to purchase season tics..... Only happens if he is elected....Hypocrite. The council is too large to agree on anything.What is it with that sculpture.... That is not art.Who are the other Pred owners?

Karl Dean and Bob Clement in a run-off in the mayor's race.The Sounds stadium deal collapsed this winter, wrangling between the developer, the owners of the Sounds, and the city.Purcell never really supported the idea, although he likes the idea of mixed use residential and restaurants and the ball park was an unfortunate evil. He wanted to put in an amphitheater there for concerts (I guess Starwood was too far away from the East Bank). To me, that is a silly idea, as just blocks away is a fine area for concerts that has been held at that location for years- the stage on the Riverfront. I guess Nashville doesn't have enough Music venues. The one thing he did do before he leaves office is erect a goofy-looking metal sculpture that looks like what you would throw in the back of the dumptruck if you dismantled a roller coaster. This thing sits on the East Bank (of course) right in front of LP Field.The general consensus is that a new mayor would restart the process. MLB has given the city an extension, but that runs out soon. The stadium is the worst in AAA, and is lapped by even most recent AA parks.The Sounds can't get something done, they will either move out toward Franklin, Smyrna, or leave town all together.It will happen one way or the other in the next year.

I don't see Clement helping anything sports related....and the Preds are looking for a new deal with the city.... Don't know much about Dean. Clement keeps promising to purchase season tics..... Only happens if he is elected....Hypocrite. The council is too large to agree on anything.What is it with that sculpture.... That is not art.Who are the other Pred owners?

Deja vu, dandy.

The thing that worries me about Dean is that the paper said he is a Purcell protege'. Ugh!

Since I don't live in Davidson County, I don't technically have a dog in the hunt. I can only cross my fingers from afar.

PS. I am dying to talk to my neighbor about the latest developments and get his take. I see everyone else in the family except him.

Deja vu, dandy.

The thing that worries me about Dean is that the paper said he is a Purcell protege'. Ugh!

Since I don't live in Davidson County, I don't technically have a dog in the hunt. I can only cross my fingers from afar.

PS. I am dying to talk to my neighbor about the latest developments and get his take. I see everyone else in the family except him.

I don't live in Davidson either.... So it appears, sports related, there is not much of a choice.... I'm dying to talk to anyone... I cannot imagine the super 7 (+1) taking this risk if they could not get the corporate community support....

BTW.... Foppa.... Hasn't signed with anyone and no offers....But the word id the Dead Thinks could go there.... Here's to sellin' tics and signing Foppa. I don't know how much he could help but I couldn't stand it if he was at detroit...

Karl Dean and Bob Clement in a run-off in the mayor's race.

The Sounds stadium deal collapsed this winter, wrangling between the developer, the owners of the Sounds, and the city.

Purcell never really supported the idea, although he likes the idea of mixed use residential and restaurants and the ball park was an unfortunate evil. He wanted to put in an amphitheater there for concerts (I guess Starwood was too far away from the East Bank). To me, that is a silly idea, as just blocks away is a fine area for concerts that has been held at that location for years- the stage on the Riverfront. I guess Nashville doesn't have enough Music venues.

The one thing he did do before he leaves office is erect a goofy-looking metal sculpture that looks like what you would throw in the back of the dumptruck if you dismantled a roller coaster. This thing sits on the East Bank (of course) right in front of LP Field.

The general consensus is that a new mayor would restart the process. MLB has given the city an extension, but that runs out soon. The stadium is the worst in AAA, and is lapped by even most recent AA parks.

The Sounds can't get something done, they will either move out toward Franklin, Smyrna, or leave town all together.

It will happen one way or the other in the next year.

The city needs to take a visit to St. Louis and of all places Memphis to only see what a downtown ballpark can do to the local landscape.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think Auto Zone Park would achieve the level of success it has and bring the number of people back to downtown Memphis, both visiting and living. St. Louis is following suit with a major residential development going near the new Busch Stadium. Both either are or are projected to do quite well.

The city needs to take a visit to St. Louis and of all places Memphis to only see what a downtown ballpark can do to the local landscape.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think Auto Zone Park would achieve the level of success it has and bring the number of people back to downtown Memphis, both visiting and living. St. Louis is following suit with a major residential development going near the new Busch Stadium. Both either are or are projected to do quite well.

With 41 hockey dates, 8 Titan games and even more Sounds games, downtown would be great.