Nasheville Cruisers

statman3

I have been following this thread for several days and think it has gone away from the great accomplishment of team and gone too much into college recruiting. Mike and I have been friends since his team was a young U10 so I will admit I am biased.

The Cruisers just gave the state of Tennessee an ASA national championship for the first time in 15 (or so) years and only the second in state history. Everyone should focus on that fact and not who might be getting recruited! Anyone who follows travel ball knows that the Cruisers have played up since they were a U12 team. At several tournaments that I ran they played up as many as two age groups to find better competition. The Cruisers have always looked to play the best teams available so that they could get better for the future; well the future was this past Sunday! Most people probably do not realize that they won with only 10 players at the tournament. Saying that you were a national champion sounds better than saying that you finished near the top and the Cruisers are the only active players in this area that can make that statement .

The Cruisers have always “done it the right way” by developing their own talent. Many teams in the mid state enjoy the services of players who Mike helped to develop. If you take a look at the All Mid State and All State teams you will find no shortage of current and former Cruisers.

As for recruiting and what might or might not have been the best route for a team to take I would offer two examples:

1. The first call of congratulations that Mike received after winning the game on Sunday was from Ralph Weekly so I am pretty sure SEC coaches are aware of the team and its players!

2. I asked if I could recommend a player to the University of Alabama as an alumnus and below is the response I received from their head coach Pat Murphy, it seems they skipped ASA U18 and focused on ASA U16.

Thanks, Mark.

We will be in Sioux Falls, SD this week watching 16-under nationals. None of us will attend the College Station nationals.

Coach Murphy

Bringing home a national championship is a big deal, give the cruisers the credit they deserve and leave the recruiting discussions for another time!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not been on here much since my daughter has moved on and is playing in college. What a wonderful thing for the Cruisers, congratulations to all the girls, coaches and parents. This is a great accomplishment for the Criusers and Tennesse softball. It takes a lot of time ,effort, money and dedication just to play competitive travel ball much less win the National Championship. Over the years we have played the Nighthawks, Explosion ,West Tn. Diamonds and some of the better Middle Tn teams so I have seen the talent level from the Nashville area. Again ,congratulations and enjoy your championship.....

"Bringing home a national championship is a big deal, give the cruisers the credit they deserve and leave the recruiting discussions for another time!"

A trophy isnt going to give you a free ride to the college of your choice. To win is great but lets face it college scholarships are a main part of what playing travel in the top levels of ASA is all about. Sure it is about the fun of the game and learning about team work but if you ask any travel parent a college scholarship is a main concern for an ending goal. You cant really talk about one without mentioning the other. First pick of colleges and top money go to those who play gold as seniors. 16U ASA Nationals is great for rising juniors, sophomores and freshmen, that is who the top SEC , PAC 10, and BIG 10 and Big 12 coaches are there to see. These coaches are not going to give a 2008 graduate a scholarship based on a performance at 16U nationals. They will however offer a scholarship to a 2009 player based on her performance there. You are right many top coaches are not at the 18U A ASA Nationals , but many are. If you are not a TOP BLUE CHIP player your chances are probably better at the 18UA nationals with another "different " set of coaches.

"Bringing home a national championship is a big deal, give the cruisers the credit they deserve and leave the recruiting discussions for another time!"

A trophy isnt going to give you a free ride to the college of your choice. To win is great but lets face it college scholarships are a main part of what playing travel in the top levels of ASA is all about. Sure it is about the fun of the game and learning about team work but if you ask any travel parent a college scholarship is a main concern for an ending goal. You cant really talk about one without mentioning the other. First pick of colleges and top money go to those who play gold as seniors. 16U ASA Nationals is great for rising juniors, sophomores and freshmen, that is who the top SEC , PAC 10, and BIG 10 and Big 12 coaches are there to see. These coaches are not going to give a 2008 graduate a scholarship based on a performance at 16U nationals. They will however offer a scholarship to a 2009 player based on her performance there. You are right many top coaches are not at the 18U A ASA Nationals , but many are. If you are not a TOP BLUE CHIP player your chances are probably better at the 18UA nationals with another "different " set of coaches.

Everyone keeps talking about "exposure" on here and have gotten away from the purpose of this thread! This thread was started to recognize the Nashville Cruisers and their great accomplishment at the ASA 16U Nationals. I for one was there and saw first hand, the level of competition. To try and downplay was those girls accomplished is crazy.

I believe the Nationals are not advertised as "Exposure" tournaments in the first place. The Cruisers played in several "Exposure" tournaments through the summer at 18 Gold and faired quite well while "exposing" their athletes to the so-called top competition. I see no shame in letting these girls compete for their National Championship in their age group. We should be thanking them for what they did for Tennessee travel ball.

I agree with playing "Exposure" tournaments at the highest level (i.e. GOLD) possible for your team, but when it comes to Nationals, let the girls compete within their age group as a TEAM. All the ranting on here is part of the reason why a lot of these girls only care about themselves. The parents are only concerned with "their" DD's exposure and could care less about the team aspect. Mike saw that his girls got their exposure during the summer at 18 GOLD and then led them to the ASA 16U National Championship. I know a lot of coaches wish they could have done exactly the same thing.

Congrats to the Cruisers...........

I suppose all of the exposure tournaments, state tournaments, and high school ball have no influence on recruiting! I was completely unaware that all recruiting was done at the ASA Nationals (quite a bit of work to be done in a single week) I appreciate you setting me straight on that point.

Now, let’s discuss the myth that there is all of this athletic money out there for softball players. When I sponsored my team I brought in an NAIA college coach to speak to my girls during there sophomore and junior years to dispel the myths surrounding the “free rides” that girls can get through softball. Most “free rides” are done with a majority of academic dollars and a minimal amount of athletic dollars; that is a fact. There are a very select few players who earn a “free ride” in school through softball, it is an urban legend.

If a parent is spending the time and dollars on softball in the hopes of getting a “ride” they would be better off saving the money on equipment, lessons, travel and commitment fees and putting the money into a 529 plan. The second thing that they should do is make sure that their kids excel in the class room, as that seems to be where the real money comes from in softball!

I suppose all of the exposure tournaments, state tournaments, and high school ball have no influence on recruiting! I was completely unaware that all recruiting was done at the ASA Nationals (quite a bit of work to be done in a single week) I appreciate you setting me straight on that point.

Now, let’s discuss the myth that there is all of this athletic money out there for softball players. When I sponsored my team I brought in an NAIA college coach to speak to my girls during there sophomore and junior years to dispel the myths surrounding the “free rides” that girls can get through softball. Most “free rides” are done with a majority of academic dollars and a minimal amount of athletic dollars; that is a fact. There are a very select few players who earn a “free ride” in school through softball, it is an urban legend.

If a parent is spending the time and dollars on softball in the hopes of getting a “ride” they would be better off saving the money on equipment, lessons, travel and commitment fees and putting the money into a 529 plan. The second thing that they should do is make sure that their kids excel in the class room, as that seems to be where the real money comes from in softball!

There a lot of money out there for softball, it isn't a myth, but it is mostly given out to players that do well in 18U gold. Gold players are also the first pick of Ivy schools and other schoolsthat are almost impossible to get into. Top Softball players get doors opened for them. There was a young lady last year off of the Nighthawks Gold that got into Yale. She got a lot of academic dollars that WOULD NOT have been offered to her had she not been a "Gold " level player. Her scores were good but on the lower end accepted at the school. In fact , without softball her dad said they wouldn't have even considered her. Another young lady out of Brentwood got into Brown with only a 26 on her ACT. WOW!!! No way would these opportunities been offered to them if they played 16U as seniors. Trophy or not.

Softball is for fun , but I think these girls are good enough to have gotten an opportunity at an Ivy league school or at a top softball school like Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama ect......These girls may get money to play ball somewhere but a lot of doors were shut for them when they opted to play on a 16U team. I don't mean to downplay what they did ...I promise I don't ... I just am scared other girls will follow suite and miss opportunities. Tennessee will stop having Gold teams while everybody plays down chasing a trophy that wont really help them in the overall picture of life.

I've got to disagree with you there on some points. Softball can provide money for education, there is no doubt. Fully funded schools have 12 scholarships. I would estimate most teams have an average of 18 kids getting softball money. I'll agree, full rides for softball are few (usually pitchers and a few bluechippers), but even at 50% softball money, that's a chunk out of a college education. If a kid keeps their grades up (especially in Tennessee with the HOPE money), gets some softball money then adds academic money on top of that - they have their education close to paid for.

I've got to disagree with you there on some points. Softball can provide money for education, there is no doubt. Fully funded schools have 12 scholarships. I would estimate most teams have an average of 18 kids getting softball money. I'll agree, full rides for softball are few (usually pitchers and a few bluechippers), but even at 50% softball money, that's a chunk out of a college education. If a kid keeps their grades up (especially in Tennessee with the HOPE money), gets some softball money then adds academic money on top of that - they have their education close to paid for.

True, many get 50 or 25 percent, some less. The more the team needs you the more you get. All is helpful.

I really have found out that the higher level you play , the more money you get.

But my point is that these girls could be as talented as those Tennessee girls that got the full rides out and got the Ivy league chances. The Nighthawks team was put out fairly early in the 18U Gold tournament. It still didnt stop the opportunities from pouring in. These girls got choices. They werent limited to a Tennessee school and a place where they could get Hope money. I was talking to someone last week and learned of a future 2009 grad who played with the Chattanooga Fury 18U gold team who didnt even qualify, but she hit the ball well in 18U Gold qualifiers against top pitchers and she is looking at a full ride to a SEC school. In fact she is talking to three SEC schools. (And No she isnt a pitcher or catcher)

I just hope this win doesnt take Tennessee a step back with all of our top talent in the future playing down in 16U hunting a trophy. We just took our first step and got gold teams.

True, many get 50 or 25 percent, some less. The more the team needs you the more you get. All is helpful.

I really have found out that the higher level you play , the more money you get.

But my point is that these girls could be as talented as those Tennessee girls that got the full rides out and got the Ivy league chances. The Nighthawks team was put out fairly early in the 18U Gold tournament. It still didnt stop the opportunities from pouring in. These girls got choices. They werent limited to a Tennessee school and a place where they could get Hope money. I was talking to someone last week and learned of a future 2009 grad who played with the Chattanooga Fury 18U gold team who didnt even qualify, but she hit the ball well in 18U Gold qualifiers against top pitchers and she is looking at a full ride to a SEC school. In fact she is talking to three SEC schools. (And No she isnt a pitcher or catcher)

I just hope this win doesnt take Tennessee a step back with all of our top talent in the future playing down in 16U hunting a trophy. We just took our first step and got gold teams.

How do we know these kids aren't talking to coaches? I'm not from the Nashville area - I truly don't know. If they were indeed playing in Gold level expos - they were playing high quality competition. One tournament won't disqualify you from getting seen. My daughter played on a Gold Team for two years, she was in the first graduating class for this team (there were 4 of them, the rest were younger). Their first year, they pretty much took their licks. They didn't qualify for Gold Nationals. They were all recruited, though (2 SEC, 2 Atlantic Sun), and they only played in one Gold qualifier. They did, however, go to Colorado and AFA nationals. The next year, though, after these kids signed, the younger players did reap the rewards when the more experienced team went on the road. I think it's great that Tennessee is getting Gold teams. Tennessee had two teams at Gold Nationals last year (1 -West and 1 -Middle TN) and this year it's an East TN team (I think). The best pitchers in the state are playing Gold ball. I find it hard to believe this positive direction will cease because a team played (gasp!) in their age group.

IF the kids on this obviously very talented Cruiser team had their hearts set on playing at Tennessee; they got some terrible recruiting advice. But let's face it, the Weeklys knew what 2008's they were recruiting long before this summer season started - playing Gold wouldn't have helped them at UT. There are still plenty of opportunities out there WITH MONEY available.

One last observation, hitting a really good pitcher at 40 feet is more difficult than at 43 feet. When you get deep into any national tournament, you are seeing top pitchers. My daughter's team ran into the National Gatorade player of the year at a tournament at 40 feet - we couldn't touch her. We saw her again at 43 feet, we hit her hard.

Apparently you did not read the topic of the thread! It was a congratulation thread to a team and their accomplishment. Winning the U16 ASA with a U16 team will hardly set the state of Tennessee back in softball.

You seem fixated on playing the sport purely for the money it can provide to pay for college, which really is sad. I have to give you credit in one respect though; this is the first time I have ever seen Mike Pruitt called a trophy hunter. His team wins a lot of tournaments (playing up) and the little sisters of the Cruiser team members almost always walk home with the championship trophy.

I doubt that there are many travel teams in the area that would not like to trade places with the Cruisers after this victory.

You do seem an expert on U18 Gold…. How did your daughters team do at the tournament?

Truly a great accomplishment by a great group of young athletes. Thanks for representing Tennessee softball in a positive way. This is something they will remember for the rest of their lives.

=====================================================================

Off topic, but since it's seems to be a sticking point...here are some additional thoughts on 08's playing 16U.

I know lots of rising juniors who are sixteen and lots of rising seniors who are 16. In many cases, they are 2-6 months difference in age. Many rising seniors who are sixteeen were borderline decisions as to what year they were going to start school many years ago. Some parents chose to start their kids as early as they can, some chose to start them later. In the end, rising seniors who were 16 as of Jan 1 are 0-6 months from being rising juniors. Hence, they are as close to the development of a junior as a senior. Perhaps this is why age is used vs. what grade you are entering to determine eligibility.

Furthermore, they certainly weren't the only team that was primarily made up of '08 grads. In fact, that seemed to be the rule, not the exception (and verified on another national board). So, it's not like they were constantly playing a bunch of youngsters. I noticed some other teams (Texas Glory, Texas Elite, Georgia Knockouts, just to name a few) that primarily played 18U/18Gold (non-qualifiers) as a bunch of '08's all year long as well that played 16U nationals. By the way, the Georgian Knockouts put the hammer down on a LOT of 18U and some gold teams this summer at several tourneys and didn't make it near as far as the Cruisers.

Additionally, while there is a lot of difference between a top level gold team and a top level 16U team, the difference between the elite 16U and a middle of the road gold competition is not that great. Kind of like the difference between your strong D2 school vs. the mid-level D1 schools....there's a lot of D2 schools who are capable of putting the beat down on some mid to lower level D1 schools.

So, this team went out and played 18U/18Gold competition most of the summer, played extremely competitively against those teams, got their exposure, and then utilized all that experience gained playing against older kids to go out a win a national championship in the age group they were eligible for. Oh, not to mention they probably got some additional exposure doing it seeing as how one the primary components to getting exposure is you need to play a lot of games in a big tourney to increase the number of chances you get looks. Mission accomplished.

Are there better options to getting exposure to the big time programs? Absolutely. Doesn't make it the wrong one.

Was this the right decision for that team based on the talent level of the team? They are the best judges of that and I'm sure made their decision accordingly.

Will playing in a 16U national get an '08 grad seen/signed to a top 25 program? Probably not, but that course had already been determined for '08s prior to that tourney......and, they had already played in some venues that could earlier in the year. Then again, who knows....the coaches were there and often times talent is judged by potential seen and team need.

Realistically, there are only going to be a maximum of 100 players in the entire U.S. & Canada that will get signed to top 25 programs out of the '08 class and many of those were locked up before this summer began. Most of those 100 get taken up by players of the West Coast, Texas, and Florida.....just look at their rosters. It's tough to be a late bloomer these days! Certainly, they didn't hurt their chances with those mid-level D1 programs and other D2, NAIA, and JUCO schools that over 90% of college softball players play for anyway.

Congratulations and good luck to these girls......they are certainly going to be playing college ball and getting an education while doing it somewhere in another year.