Meigs County Football

lambert

A lot of times the coach is always blamed when he is not the blame. The cold hard facts are that kids are not raised the same as we were. when I was younger, before I started working in the summer's, my parents had a rule that we were not to be inside during the day except to eat and use the bathroom. We worked in the garden, tobacco field, hay field, rode bikes, etc. Today a lot of kids (note I said a lot of kids, not all kids) leave an air conditioned home and go to practice in the sweltering heat. Their used to sitting down and succeeding at sports on a video game without much effort. It's hard to motivate in these circumstances. Hang in there coach Martin and any other coach that is facing this problem, your probably better off without those players anyway.

i have been told the facts about the situation--3 players did quit (none of them were even on the second string--1 starter did quit -told players he was upset about not getting the ball thrown to him friday at the scrimmage( i know coach martin pretty well if this is his attitude he couldnt play for coach) that is it. they have had several injuries and are pretty thin right now. i dont think things are as bad as maybe some have made it sound like.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been told the facts about the situation--3 players did quit (none of them were even on the second string--1 starter did quit -told players he was upset about not getting the ball thrown to him friday at the scrimmage( i know coach martin pretty well if this is his attitude he couldnt play for coach) that is it. they have had several injuries and are pretty thin right now. i dont think things are as bad as maybe some have made it sound like.

it is amazing what HOT TEMPS do to a kids attitude.

i totally agree with you--evidently you have played the game and understand what a great feeling it is to come off the field after working together and accomplishing good things. I have been at practice at meigs county several times this year and will say coach martin demands alot of his kids but isnt that what we want.--i see how he cares for them and my son actually tells me coach martin tells his players he loves them but wants to change how peoples expectations are with them. he wants them to believe that they can out work any team that face. with these temperatures i would love to have black and gold forever or what ever his name is to tell me what other coaches are doing to make it fun. thats what separates football from other sports not all kids are willing to sacrifice what it takes and then when they quit they always say it isnt fun anymore aka i cant do it. also once again tell me what you are talking about not performing something the college way . i am confused.

you are going to have to talk to the source. I am just a messenger. I could care less what happens in Decatur the man just asked me to comment and I did. All I know form what he told me is that the offense was too complicated. What I think took the cake was after you went down to scrimage Bradley Co. and came away losing 4 td's to 2, which I thought didn't sound bad at all considering they are a 5-A school, but in the paper all the coach could say is how terrible his kids played an how bad they were. Maybe they did I don't know and I didn't read the article so I'm only going on what the concerned gentleman told me. It is strage though that after the article came out the 5 kids quit. Anyway I'm just a messenger. I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and from what I have read and heard you guys will have a fine season. Good Luck

you are going to have to talk to the source. I am just a messenger. I could care less what happens in Decatur the man just asked me to comment and I did. All I know form what he told me is that the offense was too complicated. What I think took the cake was after you went down to scrimage Bradley Co. and came away losing 4 td's to 2, which I thought didn't sound bad at all considering they are a 5-A school, but in the paper all the coach could say is how terrible his kids played an how bad they were. Maybe they did I don't know and I didn't read the article so I'm only going on what the concerned gentleman told me. It is strage though that after the article came out the 5 kids quit. Anyway I'm just a messenger. I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and from what I have read and heard you guys will have a fine season. Good Luck

my son plays offense for meigs county --fullback trap right--tailback trap left --zone right --zone left--is this to complicated for calls --its funny that someone would say their offense is to complicated when all that meigs has been known for is being very simple on offense some complain to simple now you are saying someone tells you that their offense is to complicated--i wouldnt coach these days for nothing--it is almost an unwinnable situation.--and as far as the newspaper article my son also said they had an hour meeting on tuesday and that along with other things were discussed and it was a very good meeting. i know and all of the veteran players know coach martin isnt going to say a whole lot of good in the paper--especially the 1st scrimmage ---it is an in house thing that coach martin talks to his kids about every year not to believe every thing you read in the paper--good or bad.

Fatique makes cowards out of the best of us. Not sure ,but I think this came from Vince Lombardi.Kids have to learn how to get through tough things while they are growing up, or when they get older, everytime something hard or unpleasant comes along ,they do the easy thing, its simple just quit. Its also alot easier to point at the Coach than to admit its just to hard .

If the article you read was in the local Athens paper then I would venture to say that half the stuff which was quoted was not actually said. Did they at least spell some of the words right in the article?