Smith County @ Gordonsville

croz6110

I personally feel like our uniforms are more than adequate in both the youth league and middle school. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on that kind of thing at that level. I vividly remember not being able to wait to get in high school to get to use the "good" stuff. I guess I'm tryin to say that it served as a motivational tool.

That may be the thinking over here. But times have changed. Now that there's a QB club in SC is it the same type equipment as when you played? That's the point.

By the way there is kids in GV JV playing with their dads old equipment, I am told. May or may not be true. Maybe just an example of how old the equipment is. How old does equipment have to be to be considered unserviceable? That may be the question. Kids are bigger and stronger coming up I have noticed also. They hit harder and run faster it seems. Saftey should be considered also.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been involved with the SC high school sports programs for about nine years now, a daughter who played softball and basketball, and a son who played football and basketball. Not one time was I ask to pay for shoes, practice clothes, warm ups or anything and they got all new ones each year (football or basketball). That was all made possible by the booster clubs. Football, basketball, band, baseball and softball all have separate booster clubs and you should have the same over there. You can't believe the parents who work their bottoms off selling ads, selling banners and doing what ever is needed to make money for their children. That is why we have such great stuff over here concerning our programs. I can't understand why a coach or principal wouldn't want money being handed to them to buy supplies for the children so that they didn't have to spend it out of their school funds. They could then use that money for new uniforms, weights, or whatever they wanted. Maybe if they had every one leave who played a sport and come on across the river, they would wake up. Maybe you should check into what the money is spent for, does basketball get new uniforms, shoes, etc..... which is the principals favorite sport, which does his kids play? But I do know you can't have one or two to do it, it take a huge effort of all the parents, but I know I wouldn't want to work my bottom off for my daughter who played basketball to raise money for the boosters just to have it all go to football whose parents didn't do as much. If it all is in one program, that is how I would feel. That is why I think it should be separated, I believe you would have a larger turn out and each program would have money for that program. And if they didn't raise it tough. That is just my opinion. But I will say it upsets me to hear someone from gordonsville talk about the stuff we have since we as parents make that possible, my reply to that is you could have it too, if you work for it. But now that I know the situation, it ain't fair.

I have been involved with the SC high school sports programs for about nine years now, a daughter who played softball and basketball, and a son who played football and basketball. Not one time was I ask to pay for shoes, practice clothes, warm ups or anything and they got all new ones each year (football or basketball). That was all made possible by the booster clubs. Football, basketball, band, baseball and softball all have separate booster clubs and you should have the same over there. You can't believe the parents who work their bottoms off selling ads, selling banners and doing what ever is needed to make money for their children. That is why we have such great stuff over here concerning our programs. I can't understand why a coach or principal wouldn't want money being handed to them to buy supplies for the children so that they didn't have to spend it out of their school funds. They could then use that money for new uniforms, weights, or whatever they wanted. Maybe if they had every one leave who played a sport and come on across the river, they would wake up. Maybe you should check into what the money is spent for, does basketball get new uniforms, shoes, etc..... which is the principals favorite sport, which does his kids play? But I do know you can't have one or two to do it, it take a huge effort of all the parents, but I know I wouldn't want to work my bottom off for my daughter who played basketball to raise money for the boosters just to have it all go to football whose parents didn't do as much. If it all is in one program, that is how I would feel. That is why I think it should be separated, I believe you would have a larger turn out and each program would have money for that program. And if they didn't raise it tough. That is just my opinion. But I will say it upsets me to hear someone from gordonsville talk about the stuff we have since we as parents make that possible, my reply to that is you could have it too, if you work for it. But now that I know the situation, it ain't fair.

Drive the nail home sister.

Now you get the picture of whats happening over here. Football seems to be the supporter of all the sports. The rest run in the red as far as I can see. That may be the reason for only wanting a booster club. To keep the cash flow for other sports. Who knows.

I just hope that maybe we can get enough parents pumped up about this and we can make some changes. Our next Booster meeting is September 10th at 6:30 pm so I hope all the G-ville fans will be there to show support. After all I thought the school was for the kids and the more involvement by the parents the better.

I am very impressed with all of the boosters at SC you guys are a force. Now you know the story from the other side of the river... You are right it is a HUGE effort and takes the support of all parents not just a few.

I know how it fills. SC Jr. high is having problems winning lately.

As for LL you all are lucky ya'll have 4 teams 2 of which have a&b teams. SC has the jets a&b and a small charger team of only 22 kids. SC youth football tried to get in the same conference as GV youth last year but the league would not let us in for some reason. So we are left still having to drive up to 2 hours away to play LL football.We have scrimmaged GV LL before. They are well coached.

I also see that our LL uniforms are nicer than Jr. highs.

In regard to the Jr. High (Middle School) please note the schedule they play. 8 games which include Trousdale, W.J. Baird, Livingston and Macon. All with only 27 kids. Pretty tough as I see it. The wins may not be there but as they move up those kids play quicker at the next level because of a stronger schedule and an effort to mimick thier High School program as best they can. As for the uniforms, I saw one kid with David McDonald's thigh pads the other night. Go figure. Hope the league you are involved in does well.

Two words brother. Two words. Get involved. Get as many as you can involved with you. There is power in numbers. Thats been the problem all along. Not enough people involved. Its a lot harder to say no to a crowd than to one or two people. Have to show them you are involved and support the effort. It is obvious the school cant or wont furnish the team with the proper needs the kids deserve.

The football program is not the complete house, but it is the front porch.

Can someone in SC put me in touch with the QB club president??? Please. I have messenger here on coachT.

BARRY CLEMONS ,I THINK HIS NUMBER IS IN THE BOOK

Guest Termite

BARRY CLEMONS ,I THINK HIS NUMBER IS IN THE BOOK

Barry is heavily involved, but I think Harold Davenport is the President....either 1 of those or Steve Wilmore can help you.

I just hope that maybe we can get enough parents pumped up about this and we can make some changes. Our next Booster meeting is September 10th at 6:30 pm so I hope all the G-ville fans will be there to show support. After all I thought the school was for the kids and the more involvement by the parents the better.

I am very impressed with all of the boosters at SC you guys are a force. Now you know the story from the other side of the river... You are right it is a HUGE effort and takes the support of all parents not just a few.

I bet you will have the same turn out for this booster meeting as any in the past, because no one wants to raise money for their child and then have to worry if someone else got it all. I say the more people raise cane about there being only one booster club then something will change, what if no one raised money, then what would they do? I say there is volume in numbers and if say thirty football parents went to the principal and said, "hey we ain't raising another dime, if it doesn't go into a quarterback booster club," then I bet he listens. If not, don't stay there, you have got to do something to get the attention. Basketball should be able to raise their own money, who do you need to carry on your backs? Keep fighting. I want to say I am very proud of all the parents we have here that work soooooo hard to raise money every year. That is what makes it possible for EVERY CHILD to be able to play, they don't have to worry about if they got enough money to buy what they need, it will be furnished, and you know every year the new club officer's start with a large amount of money, and that gives the incentive to work hard.

Drive the nail home sister.

Now you get the picture of whats happening over here. Football seems to be the supporter of all the sports. The rest run in the red as far as I can see. That may be the reason for only wanting a booster club. To keep the cash flow for other sports. Who knows.

Sorry about that I just call it like I see it and anybody who knows me will tell you that. Over here everybody pulls their weight, no matter what club. Just like the new practice arena, you can bet the boosters are working hard to raise money so they don't have that note sitting too long. I still have a problem with people b**ching and moaning about our new stuff, helmets, uniforms, tennis shoes, jersey's, field house, etc. when if it bothers them soooo much - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, why can't they make a donation just to the football team? I work in a business who heavily supports both schools in their sports, and the only thing I see from Gordonsville is the football program, the cheerleader's calendar (which by the way I don't have yet this year) and the annual. What about signs around the field, what about basketball programs, stuff like that. I would be jumping up and down on all the sports to carry their own weight. What do they do with the money the school gets for sports not included in the booster clubs?

Sorry about that I just call it like I see it and anybody who knows me will tell you that. Over here everybody pulls their weight, no matter what club. Just like the new practice arena, you can bet the boosters are working hard to raise money so they don't have that note sitting too long. I still have a problem with people b**ching and moaning about our new stuff, helmets, uniforms, tennis shoes, jersey's, field house, etc. when if it bothers them soooo much - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, why can't they make a donation just to the football team? I work in a business who heavily supports both schools in their sports, and the only thing I see from Gordonsville is the football program, the cheerleader's calendar (which by the way I don't have yet this year) and the annual. What about signs around the field, what about basketball programs, stuff like that. I would be jumping up and down on all the sports to carry their own weight. What do they do with the money the school gets for sports not included in the booster clubs?

Do Something About It is easier said then done... A lot of parents have made requests to the school for stuff we were told that the coaches request the money as they need it. The only coach I can see that has figure out the system is basketball... We have had several businesses and parents wanting to make donations to their favorite sport and they have been told it will go in the athletic fund or they can purchase it themselves to donate. The Lions Club sells the football & basketball programs and we aren't sure if they give some of the money to the school or it goes to the Lions Club. The cheerleaders do the calendar ads but the money is split with either the booster club or it goes to the school again unsure. We can't sell signs to go around the fence that was a big NO. As for what do they do with the money that is a big mystery....Trust me we have all asked. I don't think we are complaining about what all you have done for your kids, we are proud for your kids, we just want to be able to provide our kids the same support. When you hear NO so many times you get discouraged, after all we dont want to break tradition or hurt the non revenue sports.....

Basketball should be able to raise their own money, who do you need to carry on your backs?

My guess would be volleyball, softball and baseball are the sports being carried, or a least they are called the non revenue sports by the school. The cheerleaders pay their own way with fund raisers or their parents and the band has a booster club. Football brings in the most and gets the least, basketball has one carwash to raise money to pay for uniforms, shoes, bags, camp, campwear etc.... Maybe the parents from each sport should have a carwash it works for basketball.....