Why No Band?

volball5150

Why can the Tullahoma Band not show up for the conclusion of the game on Saturday afternoon. Some of the kids were running the concession stand. If they can do that they need to have their rears in the stands helping the football team.

Guess it was just to hot for the wimps....Better yet, don't show up for the rest of the games either. You just get in the way of the football game.

SISSIES

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just let you know, the Tullahoma Band program isconsidered one of the finest programs in the state by university directors and professional musicians. They have always done everything possible to be at every football game and if they were unable to be present at a rematch game there was good reason.

I am a member of the band and I am very offended by this post. I (along with the other 150 members) have been working very hard every day in the 100 plus temperatures to create a show for the football game half time shows. We were at the game Friday night but it was cancelled due to the inclement weather. We all hurried inside saddened that the game was being delayed. At the time we were in there, no one knew if the game was going to be canceled or not. Many soaked parents and friends just wanted to get home and dry off. The Colemans made a respectable decision to let us go home. The equipment we have is very expensive and we needed to take proper care of it. Since many did know the status of the game, many did not know if it would be completely cancelled or not. If we were to attend the next day's game the Coleman's would want 100%. To get 100%, 150 plus people would have to be notified. I am sorry you think we are "sissies" for not attending and we get in the way, but I personally know football players who really do appreciate us. I wish we could have gone too, but there was simply not enough time to notify everyone. It is not fair of you, an adult, to bash a wonderful organization filled with respectable young adults.

Hi.

I am one of the officers in the Tullahoma Band, and we did attempt to organize a pep band to play in the stands. We contacted several members of our band's leadership team and realized that too many band members had other commitments this afternoon to create a band with the correct instrumentation. Basically, without enough members of each section of the band, we would not have been able to play most of our tunes. It was decided in the end by members of the leadership team and the directors that we would not perform this afternoon.

Also, don't question the toughness of our band members. We've been outside everyday in the 100-degree weather learning our show, just as the football team has been practicing. In fact, on Friday, we had not only a rehearsal, but three performances: pep rally, tailgate party, and football game. If it were not for the rain, we'd have performed our halftime show and continued playing in the stands after the show.

In addition, the football game is our football game too. We enjoy being there and performing, just as the football team does. Most of us were extremely disappointed when the football game was postponed, and as I said, several of us made attempts to return today. There is a difference in getting 5 band members to volunteer to work the consession stand and getting 150 members in the stands to play. We just couldn't arrange a band in the limited time we had.

Finally, we are a musical organization. We do not exist solely to support the football team. During the summer and fall, we attend a week or two of band camp, learn a field show, learn stands tunes, perform at games, and perform at contests. We try to make it to every football game possible to support the team, and we do our best to get the crowd excited about the game. However, we have other performances we are responsible for, as well. We have been preparing to compete in three regional contests in September.

So, next time before you decide to comment about our organization, please consider that there might reasons for our actions and decisions, and I ask you to think before you start throwing around useless insults.

We will be at every football game this season that we possibly can, and we will do our best during our performances, whether it be on the field or in the stands.

Thank you.

I hate to say this but the band is a part of high school football they go hand an hand there is nothing like your team getting a TD ( touchdown or 6 points for you band members that dont know whats going on in a football game) an your band is playing your fight song.

I hate to say this but the band is a part of high school football they go hand an hand there is nothing like your team getting a TD ( touchdown or 6 points for you band members that dont know whats going on in a football game) an your band is playing your fight song.

1. Most band members (at least where i went to school) had good understanding of how the game works and they did care about the game. I (a band member) actually played football. There is no reason to judge others unfairly and be insulting.

2. Yes the band is part of a football game, the band did everything that they could to get an ensemble together to perform at the game and were unable to get a useable instrumentation. The band cannot be expected to reserve every saturday after a football game on the very rare occasion that a game is postponed, this would be unreasonable.

3. I don't believe that Lincoln County's band was at the rematch game either, should they have messed up all their members schedules too?

1. Most band members (at least where i went to school) had good understanding of how the game works and they did care about the game. I (a band member) actually played football. There is no reason to judge others unfairly and be insulting.

2. Yes the band is part of a football game, the band did everything that they could to get an ensemble together to perform at the game and were unable to get a useable instrumentation. The band cannot be expected to reserve every saturday after a football game on the very rare occasion that a game is postponed, this would be unreasonable.

im sorry i thought i put in there for you band members that dont know whats going on. if you knew what was going on then i was not talking about you or the band members that do know what is going on in a football game

I am an officer in the Tullahoma High School Band and I'm very sorry you feel that way about our organization. We have many dedicated young adults that practice their insturments every day after our daily rehersals and still manage to be at the very top of our class. We attempt to support the football team as much as possible, and we realize that many on the football team support us. We were devestated when the football game was postponed last night. Our halftime show was not performed due to the curcumstances, but we still wanted to arrange a pep band to support our team; however, many people in our band have jobs and can not ask off last minute. There were approxamitely 17 hours between the actually postponement of the game and the continuation. 10pm is considered too late to call employers to ask off; therefore from 8am this morning, the earliest a student could have possibly asked off, was less than 5 hours from the continuation of the game. Also, students from the band had to tend to their insturments and uniforms from the rain last night. The mopping; plumes, the feathers on our helmets; and wind insturmens were attended to last night. The pit insturments and purcussion were dried as thouroughly as possible; however, students still had to come in with blow driers this morning to finish the drying process on the expensive insturments. There were also guard flags to be dried, seat covers to be dried, as well as insturment covers. The young adults in our program assist the band parents in doing many of the things our organization requires, but the care of insturments, uniforms, and our band room takes time and effort. We support the football team as much as possible and many of our musicians still came to the game to watch, but the organization of over 150 people takes more than 5 hours.

Seeing that the OP is also posting about cheerleaders not being at rescheduled ballgames leads me to believe that he is a [/size]TROLL.

Oh, and to defend the Tullahoma band; not only do they perform on Friday nights; but starting in mid-September they are in competition on Saturdays for the next 8 weeks...and then they have other performances. AND...even with the excellence of the football team; there are a lot more Tullahoma band students on full scholarships to college than there are football players at a given time. So I would be very careful trying to justify the band's existence solely on the football team. That shows incredible ignorance on your part.

In short...performance at football games is only one of many performance obligations for the band...and is not; believe it or not, their primary reason for being.

And I would advise you to know what you are talking about before you start spouting your cut-and-paste diatribes. Much less insulting KIDS...which I find incredibly inmature and abhorent.

"there are a lot more Tullahoma band students on full scholarships to college than there are football players at a given time"

all that tells me is it is EZ to be in the band, Football is something not everyone can do. Sure every college has like 300+ band members for each team so they have scholarships to hand out left an right. a football team has less then 100 players

"there are a lot more Tullahoma band students on full scholarships to college than there are football players at a given time"

all that tells me is it is EZ to be in the band, Football is something not everyone can do. Sure every college has like 300+ band members for each team so they have scholarships to hand out left an right. a football team has less then 100 players

Neither is band something anyone can do. (Actually, football is basically easier...you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit (run with the) ball. Just physical activity refined to a single sport. $1 to Kevin Costner/Crash Davis) And size does not matter when it comes to scholarships...you still have to excel. And do not forget that at most major colleges (UT is a prime example) the athletic dept. does hand out scholarships for the marching band...but the band DIRECTOR makes the decisions as to who gets them. Plus there are other scholarships that are not connected to the football bands at the university level.

BUT...the college marching band is SOLELY for the purpose of adding to an athletic event..with some other usages. HS groups are actually academic groups with the large extracurricular component. And insofar as Tullahoma goes, that group is one of the top groups in the Southeast...not just the Midstate. So they get scholarships on merit, not just on a universities' needs.

PS...I have done both football and band...at the same time. So I know. Not guessing...or being 'told' as you put it.

wow what an idiot you just said football is easer then band,,,, my god. If football was so EZ then why are there less people playing football then there are playing in the band. What you just said leads me to think ether you didn't play football or if you did you got no playing time........ now i dont want to keep you from your game of dungeons and dragons so take care