Band a sport? Of course.

Floobagop

how can you say a 10 minute show is on the same level a sport with 100% action for 40 minutes at a time. You can have your opinion that "soccer is boring", sometimes it is. But you put 2 good aggressive teams on the field and i guarantee you it is much more interesting than watching someone blow a flute. This isn't a boring sports forum it is questioning if band is a sport and i gave my input.Saying that band is a sport is ludicrous I am sorry I don't feel I am the only one to believe this. It is a club/hobby.

Your comments are rediculous. So what you play, (soccer?) is not your hobby? Man, you have it all wrong. I did not say I consider it a sport. I said they are just as active as most other sports. Yes, even more active than running around a field kicking a ball. You normally don't stay in a full 40 minute game. They put in subs. They don't have sub band players. They are there the whole time playing in the stands and then the halftime show. Grant you, yes they do have some free time to take breaks. They also have some great competitions on the weekends they are playing in. The point I'm making is band is not just a geek thing. They are very active and ATHLETIC!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your comments are rediculous. So what you play, (soccer?) is not your hobby? Man, you have it all wrong. I did not say I consider it a sport. I said they are just as active as most other sports. Yes, even more active than running around a field kicking a ball. You normally don't stay in a full 40 minute game. They put in subs. They don't have sub band players. They are there the whole time playing in the stands and then the halftime show. Grant you, yes they do have some free time to take breaks. They also have some great competitions on the weekends they are playing in. The point I'm making is band is not just a geek thing. They are very active and ATHLETIC!!!!!!!!!

First of all this is a forum questioning if band is a sport. On such forums you are to state your opinion about the topic. Therefore I am stating that BAND IS NOT A SPORT. Yes you can sub in a game, But with smaller division schools good substitutes are very rare. Also you must train to be able to stay in the game for it's entirety.Secondly who said band was a geek thing? That is a generalization that i did not make. I used to be in band i considered it a club. I don't however consider myself a geek.Nor are there many people in our band with that label. There are very popular kids in our band one of which is running for our homecoming. Now, how many geeks do you know on homecoming? We have a disagreement. That's OK you are entitled to your opinion "Trademark" feel free to state what you believe to be true. Your alliance lies with band kids. Awesome. I on the other hand would not like to lower the standard of what is considered a sport to such a low degree.

And also don't forget another crucial fact, that lineman has it out for your life. If he can take you out of the game, he will. Physical contact, injury, agression. There is little of any of this in band. Yeah, our band has somebody with a sprained ankle, but she stepped in a hole and now can't suckitup enough to stand there and play a drum. LORD!! I guess if you want technicality, you could put it in the armchair sports category with golf and bowling, but those aren't really sports anyway.....they're GAMES.

a game is a sport so yes BOWLING and golf are both sports. you have to become better at your acuracy i would love for someone who doesn't bowl on a regular basis to bowl against a highschool bowler and not get beat. bty i know football players who are on highschool bowling teams and they consider bowling a sport

First of all this is a forum questioning if band is a sport. On such forums you are to state your opinion about the topic. Therefore I am stating that BAND IS NOT A SPORT. Yes you can sub in a game, But with smaller division schools good substitutes are very rare. Also you must train to be able to stay in the game for it's entirety.Secondly who said band was a geek thing? That is a generalization that i did not make. I used to be in band i considered it a club. I don't however consider myself a geek.Nor are there many people in our band with that label. There are very popular kids in our band one of which is running for our homecoming. Now, how many geeks do you know on homecoming? We have a disagreement. That's OK you are entitled to your opinion "Trademark" feel free to state what you believe to be true. Your alliance lies with band kids. Awesome. I on the other hand would not like to lower the standard of what is considered a sport to such a low degree.

Your absolutly right. We do have differences of opinion, but don't get on here and say that band would lower the standard if it were called a sport. It takes more mentality to play band anyday than it does a lot of sports out there!!! They're not on a level anyway. One is just as good as the other.

Your absolutly right. We do have differences of opinion, but don't get on here and say that band would lower the standard if it were called a sport. It takes more mentality to play band anyday than it does a lot of sports out there!!! They're not on a level anyway. One is just as good as the other.

BAND A SPORT?!?! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> NO ITS NOT!!!

BAND A SPORT?!?! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> NO ITS NOT!!!

DUH, you must not read well or don't know how to reply correctly. I didn't say I called it a sport. I said they are just as athletic as any other sport out there. Of course, like others, it may not be as active as some, but it is as active as most. I could care less if they call it a sport or not. I prefer not to be under all of the TSSAA junk anyway. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I am on here to stand up for what the band is all about. They are not a bunch of lazy no good kids. They work just as hard or harder!!!!

DUH, you must not read well or don't know how to reply correctly. I didn't say I called it a sport. I said they are just as athletic as any other sport out there. Of course, like others, it may not be as active as some, but it is as active as most. I could care less if they call it a sport or not. I prefer not to be under all of the TSSAA junk anyway. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I am on here to stand up for what the band is all about. They are not a bunch of lazy no good kids. They work just as hard or harder!!!!

boy trademark i had no idea what i was getting into when i brought this whole subject up lol /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

a game is a sport so yes BOWLING and golf are both sports. you have to become better at your acuracy i would love for someone who doesn't bowl on a regular basis to bowl against a highschool bowler and not get beat. bty i know football players who are on highschool bowling teams and they consider bowling a sport

Thats fine, if you want to think that a game is the same as a sport, thats fine. I think I'm the king of France. It's a free country. The point is, There needs to be a line drawn between GAMES like bowling or golf and SPORTS like football, basketball, soccer, etc. There is an obvious difference in the level of physical activity/prowess required between bowling and football. To put them on an equal plane is a travesty. Band, while taking more skill than bowling, is not on the same plane as the major sports, hence the answer I originally provided. And if you think i'm not the king of France, you need to work on your accuracy.

I was in the Pride of the Southland band last year (UTK's band for those who dont know), the best band in the country. While i DONT consider band a sport, I challenge anyone to go out and try to do Circle Drill, especially prepare for it. Up there the band is biiger than most sports at that school. Takes a lot of dedication. The ones who dis it are just posting out of ignorance

• 2 weeks later...