Band a sport? Of course.

Floobagop

I assume we're talking about Marching Bands?

Our band doesn't play during the games when we're on fall break (they need the time off) and they don't travel unless it's only a short distance.

How much of a sport is that? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume we're talking about Marching Bands?

Our band doesn't play during the games when we're on fall break (they need the time off) and they don't travel unless it's only a short distance.

How much of a sport is that? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

66in74 in our case the bad gets more money and eat more that always killed me, I enjoyed listening when I was in the game but now that I watch Id rather wear ear plugs. Also you know after halftime they always eat the whole third Qtr, Im probably gonna get in trouble for this one but I will admit I wouldnt be able to play the Drums and walk at the same time, so Ill give them my props. i dont think its a sport its talent, also bands like to interact with other bands and Ill be honest I didnt wanna see my opponent unless Im picking them up of the ground.

Its talent not a sport

• 3 weeks later...

66in74 in our case the bad gets more money and eat more that always killed me, I enjoyed listening when I was in the game but now that I watch Id rather wear ear plugs. Also you know after halftime they always eat the whole third Qtr, Im probably gonna get in trouble for this one but I will admit I wouldnt be able to play the Drums and walk at the same time, so Ill give them my props. i dont think its a sport its talent, also bands like to interact with other bands and Ill be honest I didnt wanna see my opponent unless Im picking them up of the ground.

Its talent not a sport

Trouble? Who cares. They are a joke. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> This year, according to their schedule, they are only going to play at 6 games.

That's 60%, which is a failing grade. They don't even where our colors most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my two cents. I am a Assistant Band Director and Coach. I was in band in high school and college. Band is NOT a sport..... here is my reasons

1. In most cases you do not "Try Out for band" , yes in your larger schools there are the exceptions, but in most cases you do not.

2. Before season, sports do this little thing called "conditioning" Yes, band has camp, but it is to practice what they will do the follow year.

3. Sports are year round. Go by your local high school and you will see players practicing in the off season. You will not see kids marching on the band field.

4. Band is competitive. BUT...... in sports if a player is not keeping up or making mistakes, the coach will pull them out. You will not see a director stop the performace and jerk out the kid who is out of step and sit him on the side lines.

I see a big difference in the two everyday. They are NOT the same.

There is a reason people get up and go get food oruse the bathroom during halftime at football games. If band were a sport it would hold peoples interest. The only people who actually sit during halftime and give the band their undivided attention is the band members parents.

The majority of the band kids would never be able to keep up with even the worst athletes in physical activity. I know at my school the half the band would even struggle to run a half a mile.

We have these idiots at my school that say band camp is harder than football two-a-days. It baffles me that people believe marching and blowing an instrument can be considered more challenging than having to make decisions on the fly during high intensity situations. Band is a talent at the most, and no no no no no way can it be called a sport.

I have played Tennis, soccer, cross country, ultimate frisbee, and been on the swim team (all for my high school)

I believe you can see band as a sport. Getting out in the hundred degree summer and march(or walk for some bands...haha) all day...then compete based on this later... I do belive it is a sport..

Not necesarily for complete strength and fitness or speed....but for control. the addition of music makes it difficult.

I am participating in DCI drum corps this year in a world class corps, and in no way is this similar to band...this is the most difficult thing I have ever done even compared to my repetoire of sports (see above).

• 2 months later...

i do not believe that marching band is a sport.

drum corps is a sport.

Both activities may be different in some aspects, but they share the same purpose. It's a PERFORMING ART!! People really need to quit trying to make drum corps and marching band into something that it's not, just because you're not getting the "respect" you deserve.

Both activities may be different in some aspects, but they share the same purpose. It's a PERFORMING ART!! People really need to quit trying to make drum corps and marching band into something that it's not, just because you're not getting the "respect" you deserve.

drum corps and marching band do not share the same purpose. high school marching bands are there PARTIALLY to support the football team. drum corps have no school athletic affiliation. they exist strictly to promote music & marching education in a competitive format and to be one of the 12 finalists come august.

once again,

marching band is not a sport.

drum corps is a sport. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />