Band a sport? Of course.

Floobagop

drum corps and marching band do not share the same purpose. high school marching bands are there PARTIALLY to support the football team. drum corps have no school athletic affiliation. they exist strictly to promote music & marching education in a competitive format and to be one of the 12 finalists come august.

once again,

marching band is not a sport.

drum corps is a sport. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That's beside the point. It doesn't matter what their affiliation is. You can have a symphony orchestra affiliated with a school and another affiliated with a performing arts society. Both orchestras share a common purpose to pursue a musical endeavor. Same thing with marching band and drum corps.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watch this and tell me its NOT a sport.

btw. look at the condition those kids are in. toned to the max. its a sport. THE END!

Agreed Its a sport. lots of moving and lifting weights (not so much weight for the flutes tho)

Plus you get a letter. How is that not a sport. Letter, Running with Tubas = Sport.

JD= =

www.astrojackets.com

astrojackets

watch this and tell me its NOT a sport.

btw. look at the condition those kids are in. toned to the max. its a sport. THE END!

Ok, I watched your little video. You call that running? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And they only "shuffled" for about 28 seconds! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I do like the way some the girls looked though. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

yeah thats running you nim wit. its called jazz running. its running so freakin smooth that you cant hear a glitch (or their feet, for those who know anything about band) in their sound.

and yes thats a 28 second clip, but what you dont know is how much they do that drill. its a phantom signature. its what makes their sound so pure (not that you care at all), but its hard as $hit. that was a certain push from their show that just happened to make it to the net.

oh and for the girl comment, thats what drum corps does to you.

gets you in shape...... like sports do, but even more so.

i know a contra player... wait you dont know what that is. its a tuba, you know the big thing? he loses about 50 lbs in a summer marching corps. hes not a fat kid in general just tall (hes about 6' 2") , but when you move like day in and day out (rehearsals sometimes till 1 in the morning) your body sheds every ounce of body fat you could possibly possess.

drum corps kids are probably in better shape than 98% of your high school football team. they LIVE in thier SPORT for months solid, dawn till freaking dusk, even hours after dusk actually.

$uck it.

i know a contra player... wait you dont know what that is. its a tuba, you know the big thing? he loses about 50 lbs in a summer marching corps. hes not a fat kid in general just tall (hes about 6' 2") , but when you move like day in and day out (rehearsals sometimes till 1 in the morning) your body sheds every ounce of body fat you could possibly possess.

drum corps kids are probably in better shape than 98% of your high school football team. they LIVE in thier SPORT for months solid, dawn till freaking dusk, even hours after dusk actually.

$uck it.

Why all the name calling?

So he loses 50-lbs, but he's not fat? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" I assume he gains it all back at some point. During the off season I guess. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

$uck it.

When I was in the drumline at Michigan State I was in better physical condition than when I played (practiced) football at U of Florida. That doesnt mean that Band is a Sport. It just means that if you are going to participate in Band, and that highest level, that you had better prepare your body for some grueling physical stress.

These are two very different disciplines, and trying to compare them to each other is not really being fair to either one.

There are plenty of athletes that could easily play in the marching band if they committed the same amount of time to music that they do sports. And the same goes for taking musicians and trying to make athletes out of them. Spend that time that you spent practicing your instrument, and put it to athletics, and you probably would get some very good athletes.

I was fortunate to do both. And I did them both at the same time. Comparing the two is not fair to either one. Fighting about it is just plain stupid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...