Band a sport? Of course.

Floobagop

oh and for the girl comment, thats what drum corps does to you.

gets you in shape...... like sports do, but even more so.

i know a contra player... wait you dont know what that is. its a tuba, you know the big thing? he loses about 50 lbs in a summer marching corps. hes not a fat kid in general just tall (hes about 6' 2") , but when you move like day in and day out (rehearsals sometimes till 1 in the morning) your body sheds every ounce of body fat you could possibly possess.

drum corps kids are probably in better shape than 98% of your high school football team. they LIVE in thier SPORT for months solid, dawn till freaking dusk, even hours after dusk actually.

$uck it.

Understanding that drum corps such as those that compete in DCI events are as close to a professional rank as you can get . Those folks are going to be in shape. I have a sister that marched with The Colts and she'd tell you she was in the best shape of her life. Now, the average age for a DCI corp is 19 so if you've made such a corp in high school that's quite an accomplishment. I'd be quite proud of that.

But most band kids aren't corp kids and a great many never will be. I mean in the top corps 8,000 people audition every year for less than 3,500 availible spots. It's tough. I admire what they do but that's the best of the best and not the rule of thumb.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is a sport. We Practice frm 345-8 mon-wed and thurs frk 5-untill. We have to do push ups. we have to run around the track. We pratice more then the football time.

O My goodness not laps around the track and pushups. Thats cruel, Im glad i only spent 3hrs a day all summer in the wieght room and 5hrs a day bashing my head in for 5 months straight, i had it easy. Please dont compare band to football, I understand it is rough I know you practice hard. But rarely does a band do more than a football team. It is not a sport it is a hobby, a competion, a art but not a sport. This may be a low blow but when do people normally go to the restrooms and concessions, Halftime. when the players arnt on the field

• 2 months later...

Deffinition of sport:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

i give you credit skill is a yes.

but no contact unless you screw up the steps. and you cannot defend against the opposition.. cause there is not an opposition. :popcorneater: sorry guys:)

:geek::):ph34r::(

• 1 month later...

I'm growing up where i'm the only kid who plays football. the others play in band. We always have this discussion and they always win cuz i get too mad trying to make my point. IT IS NOT A SPORT. yes. physical activity. but ping pong has physical activity. does that make it a sport? And someone compared band to football... Football is way harder. And i just don't see how you can get injuries in band. (except for stepping into a hole) i'm not trying to bash any band lovers.... i'm just trying to make my point. Where would the football team be without the band? well maybe still playing but the music helps us. Keep doing your thing band ppl! :roflol:

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Give me a break. With all due respect, athletes don't try to call what they do a concert and bands should not try to act like walking around playing music is a sport. I am a teacher and a coach and I love our band, but they do not compete on a physical, mental and emotional level like sports teams. It is disgraceful to compare playing music to young men practicing and working themselves in the weightroom all year long. A football player that plays on afriday night sometimes cannot walk off the field. He has to be carried by his teammates. He does not take the third quarter off like the band. Please have some perspective.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm growing up where i'm the only kid who plays football. the others play in band. We always have this discussion and they always win cuz i get too mad trying to make my point. IT IS NOT A SPORT. yes. physical activity. but ping pong has physical activity. does that make it a sport? And someone compared band to football... Football is way harder. And i just don't see how you can get injuries in band. (except for stepping into a hole) i'm not trying to bash any band lovers.... i'm just trying to make my point. Where would the football team be without the band? well maybe still playing but the music helps us. Keep doing your thing band ppl! :roflol:

technically, ping pong is more of a sport than football...ping pong is in the olympics. and played world wide, while football is primarily american. now is band a sport? no...if it wasn't for football marching band probably wouldn't exist outside of military schools.

• 1 year later...

I'd have to say that in many ways it IS much like a sport. My daughter plays AAU basketball all summer & school bball. This was her first year at band camp & she came home with sore muscles that had never been affected by basketball. . She lost a few pounds and built muscles she probably never knew she had! She did all this marching, running, crab-stepping with at least an extra 20 lbs strapped to her. . . AND loved every minute of it! icon_mrgreen.gif

• 2 years later...

Unlike TSSAA sports, there are no rules about limiting band practice times.  My daughter who played HS basketball and softball also marched on the drumline carrying a bass drum.  Ask her and she'll tell you a 8 hr band practice was as hard as a hard basketball practice after a loss, and way easier than any softball practice.  They may not all be great athletes, but they will be in shape after August.  I don't care who calls it a sport or not, but TN has WAY more band members on DI scholarships than all the sports combined.  Food for thought.