Band a sport? Of course.

Floobagop

I don't believe band is a sport but let's get real here.. Anyone can do sports (football, baseball, soccer, etc.) maybe not very good but learning and performing the sport is possible. Being in a band requires musical skill and talent, dedication, and a little physical activity. Take a band member, give them your defensive play book, put them in the weight room, let them practice for a few weeks and suit them up and let them play. Chances are that band member will be able to perform his given task. Now take a football player, give them their sheet music and their instrument, let them learn that music as well as their drill, let them practice for a few weeks, now suit them up and let them march. Chances are he's gonna be clueless.. I'm not saying this in a disrespectful manor, I'm just pointing out that any sport is do-able( maybe not very good, but it's possible) but to be able to march your drill in step while playing your music( which requires dynamics, balancing, and tempo control) takes more thought and more talent and skill to perform. Again no disrespect to any sports especially football, I'm in marching band and I adore the sport of football.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

oh and for the girl comment, thats what drum corps does to you.

gets you in shape...... like sports do, but even more so.

i know a contra player... wait you dont know what that is. its a tuba, you know the big thing? he loses about 50 lbs in a summer marching corps. hes not a fat kid in general just tall (hes about 6' 2") , but when you move like day in and day out (rehearsals sometimes till 1 in the morning) your body sheds every ounce of body fat you could possibly possess.

drum corps kids are probably in better shape than 98% of your high school football team. they LIVE in thier SPORT for months solid, dawn till freaking dusk, even hours after dusk actually.

$uck it.

Wow! Got bored with the football thread and came here for a laugh. I think I found it!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...