KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey your the one that said it was an alot of people on the T will say the same. i am just testing your statement. but i half expect it to get closed anyways but we will see as long as you can watch that name calling i think it will be fine. now lets let the polls do the talking for now on ok

you guys are so fun to poke at. Dont take everything so personal. i said that the band is good to have around an one of you guys flip out cuz you didn't read the post right then you guys want to start sating how it takes a real man to play in the band when they are full of girls an little boys that 100 pounds wet.

Boy Kev-o, you sure know how to make friends

Ok, here is my two cents worth.

Bands and color guards take a lot of hard work and it takes skill. However, in the case if bands, that skill isn't of an athletic nature. I said," athletic" and not " endurance". Band is a competition but not an athletic competition which most I believe the basis of sports . Band takes a great deal musical ability, coordination, and endurance which I repect but that just doesn't make it a sport.

Now, what I think is important is people need to stop gettin bent out of shape because band isn't seen as a sport. So what? As some have noted, it generates a great deal of interest. DCI brings in people from all over the world to compete and lots of poeple enjoy it. Band not being a sport in most eyes isn't a slap in the face. It doesn't make it unimportant.

Chill out

When I was in marching band, I thought of myself more of a musician than an athlete in the realm of performing arts and not athletics. But in order to perfect your skills, you need to have the necessary musical ability, technique, and conditioning for this activity. Learning the proper marching technique and coordination are very important in this activity. If you are not careful, you are not going to look/sound good performing and you could fall/injure yourself. It does require a certain degree of conditioning (some running, stretching, etc.) for marching, marching/playing your instrument or spinning an apparatus simultaneously. It's something you have to get used to.