Is the marching band a sport

KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

Just because something is shown on ESPN does not make it a sport. ESPN stands for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. Things like the National Spelling Bee, poker, DCI, billiards, and cheerleading are for entertainment.

I know i was pointing that out to some one

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where to begin? There is a lack of knowledge in the statements above which is not varybarry fault. I realize that this is a forum for opinions but I will state some facts. Marching Band is a competition. You don't compete against one band, you compete against up to 20 or 30 according to the competition size. Not all bands compete. Those bands may not have a strenuous activity level ( like blackman, they don't compete only sit in the stands and play).

I could probably talk all day about this subject. I have had 3 children participate in competitive marching band in the Boro. I have watched them practice for 6 hours straight before competeing. I've taken them to practice at 6:30 in the morning only to practice all day before jumping on a bus for 2 hours, then go compete for several hours. All this practicing was on pavement. Several afternoons during the two week band camp, it would be so hot that we literally cooked an egg on the parking lot. Pavement temp. was up 120 degrees. This year, I watched the band practice non stop only to see the football team take 3 breaks during that time. (it was near 100). That was before all outdoor activity was made to stop in Rutherford County. I've seen broken arms, torn ACL (fast, quick turns while marching), broken noses, sprained ankles and wrists. I have added the hours up during the 2 week band camp. The band practiced more than the football team during their camp. All that hard work is decided by some judge's opinion. Too bad football isn't score that way. Then Siegel may win by some sort of "style" points given by a referee based on his opinion. I would like to see some of these so called athletes run down the field backwards on their tip toes carrying a huge tuba while trying to hit their spots in 10 counts. And if they don't, they could possibly hurt someone by being in the wrong spot. Also, it could cause the judges to score them so low that (the entire band of 160 kids) they lose. It takes endurance, skill, talent and phsyical skills to compete.You also have to be very coordinated because while doing all the things I mentioned above you also have to play thousands and thousands of notes on your instrument ( your hands and fingers flying over the intruments) Hands and feet going opposite directions. REAL marching bands - How can you not call it a sport?

ok, so if someone is standing in the wrong spot they could gt hurt. in football, if someone does the wrong thing, someone will get hurt. and this summer several people got dehydrated during summer training because of the heat. looked over at the band and they are not practicing after school cause it is too hot. during the Red Bank game, they didnt wear uniforms cause they thought it was too hot. boo frikin hoo

ok, so if someone is standing in the wrong spot they could gt hurt. in football, if someone does the wrong thing, someone will get hurt. and this summer several people got dehydrated during summer training because of the heat. looked over at the band and they are not practicing after school cause it is too hot. during the Red Bank game, they didnt wear uniforms cause they thought it was too hot. boo frikin hoo

Not all bands are the same, don't say we are all wusses and bad just because one band is. If we were to do that it would mean every football team plays dirty, and does drugs. I know that most do not, but some do....so lets just say you all do that. See what I mean? Yeah, some bands don't wear uniforms when it is hot, we do, but some dont. And during the summer we have people get dehydrated all the time, people pass out and hit the ground. The band that didnt practice because of the heat is probably a band that isn't very good. We go outside and practice during class and after school, no matter how hot it is, or how hard it is raining. No, we don't go in lightning. Occasionaly someone will complain about the heat and then out director tells us we are lucky it's only 100 degrees instead of 110 like the bands in the deep south have it.

Like I keep saying, I know football is harder, I'm not taking anything away from it. But band is tough too. And please don't judge us all because a few can't hack it.

Not all bands are the same, don't say we are all wusses and bad just because one band is. If we were to do that it would mean every football team plays dirty, and does drugs. I know that most do not, but some do....so lets just say you all do that. See what I mean? Yeah, some bands don't wear uniforms when it is hot, we do, but some dont. And during the summer we have people get dehydrated all the time, people pass out and hit the ground. The band that didnt practice because of the heat is probably a band that isn't very good. We go outside and practice during class and after school, no matter how hot it is, or how hard it is raining. No, we don't go in lightning. Occasionaly someone will complain about the heat and then out director tells us we are lucky it's only 100 degrees instead of 110 like the bands in the deep south have it.

Like I keep saying, I know football is harder, I'm not taking anything away from it. But band is tough too. And please don't judge us all because a few can't hack it.

your right every team has its dirty players an there drug users. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

WOW, KEV-O is showing some love!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Yeah, for someone to get on here and bash ALL bands, they are lost in space somewhere. I'm like pumpkinhead, I am not taking anything away from football, since this seems to be the main threat sport, I am saying that "great bands" are very active. They do go out in the heat, rain, cold, etc. and practice just like our other sports teams. Now is the chance of someone getting hurt like they do in football, no, BUT they can get injured as well. Injury is injury. It doesn't matter how it happened, it is still an injury. Whatever you think, I believe you can't have one without the other. I think the band would be great at all sport functions to help lift our fan support. Nothing better than having your home crowd cheering you on!!!! LOUDLY!!!!!!! Just like preaching and singing, it is sooooooooo much better with BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, KEV-O is showing some love!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Yeah, for someone to get on here and bash ALL bands, they are lost in space somewhere. I'm like pumpkinhead, I am not taking anything away from football, since this seems to be the main threat sport, I am saying that "great bands" are very active. They do go out in the heat, rain, cold, etc. and practice just like our other sports teams. Now is the chance of someone getting hurt like they do in football, no, BUT they can get injured as well. Injury is injury. It doesn't matter how it happened, it is still an injury. Whatever you think, I believe you can't have one without the other. I think the band would be great at all sport functions to help lift our fan support. Nothing better than having your home crowd cheering you on!!!! LOUDLY!!!!!!! Just like preaching and singing, it is sooooooooo much better with BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Post!

Playing dirty is a part of football it happens every game you just dont see it, the worse place to be is at the bottom of the pile on a fumbles ball, there is not telling what would happen down there. and as for drugs every team has its knuckle heads that do them. But nether are condoned by any of the coaches

and some of our people got dehydrated too f*

**in ######

r u stupid u must be a football player... band is a sport at gallatin its better than the football team we work our butts to look good... so screw you

No im not stupid, yes i played football, and just because you work your butts off does not make it a sport, construction workers work there butts off does that make it a sport,,,,,,,,, no it does not. and sorry Im not into boys /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />