Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is that it is not a sport. My only problem with putting band on the same level as football or soccer is that you can pretty easily do band with almost no ATHLETIC ability. Yes, you must be conditioned, but in almost no way is ATHLETIC ability useful in marching band. Yes, I've seen band members have to hit their spots, yes, I realize they play for 8-10 MINUTES at a time, but just as football has the time between plays, you guys have "Park and Blow" or really slow walking. It's not like you're running the whole time, unless you're grambling state's band, which I would really consider more of a branch of the military than a sport. Anyway, the point is that.......I mean really, have you seen some of the people in the average marching band? They probably couldn't beat the average junior high kid in a game of bball much less run the miles and take the bone crunching hits it takes to play football. I'm sorry, but much of the reason that band is looked so lowly upon is because there are a lot of complainers from that camp. Always complaining about how you dont get the respect you think you deserve. my advice: Grow some, SUCKIT UP, and ACTUALLY GO OUT THERE AND EARN THE RESPECT! Complaining makes you look like 2 year olds.

To the poster from cascade: I just had to include this in there cuz i dont feel that you took enough flak for all those naive posts. You say you have a cousin who plays, and have talked to people who play football. My question is, In what way does that at all replace actually getting out there and doing it? how can you convey all the hard work we do in a simple conversation? YES, IVE DONE BOTH!!! Band and football. Part of the problem could be that you are up there at tiny little cascade, and don't know what a real football team looks like. My advice: come down here to Lincoln County and we'll show you one. The only problem is that we would never play yall, because we like competition.

My opinion is that it is not a sport. My only problem with putting band on the same level as football or soccer is that you can pretty easily do band with almost no ATHLETIC ability. Yes, you must be conditioned, but in almost no way is ATHLETIC ability useful in marching band. Yes, I've seen band members have to hit their spots, yes, I realize they play for 8-10 MINUTES at a time, but just as football has the time between plays, you guys have "Park and Blow" or really slow walking. It's not like you're running the whole time, unless you're grambling state's band, which I would really consider more of a branch of the military than a sport. Anyway, the point is that.......I mean really, have you seen some of the people in the average marching band? They probably couldn't beat the average junior high kid in a game of bball much less run the miles and take the bone crunching hits it takes to play football. I'm sorry, but much of the reason that band is looked so lowly upon is because there are a lot of complainers from that camp. Always complaining about how you dont get the respect you think you deserve. my advice: Grow some, SUCKIT UP, and ACTUALLY GO OUT THERE AND EARN THE RESPECT! Complaining makes you look like 2 year olds.

To the poster from cascade: I just had to include this in there cuz i dont feel that you took enough flak for all those naive posts. You say you have a cousin who plays, and have talked to people who play football. My question is, In what way does that at all replace actually getting out there and doing it? how can you convey all the hard work we do in a simple conversation? YES, IVE DONE BOTH!!! Band and football. Part of the problem could be that you are up there at tiny little cascade, and don't know what a real football team looks like. My advice: come down here to Lincoln County and we'll show you one. The only problem is that we would never play yall, because we like competition.

WOW, we're scared!!! Just to let you know I'm from Cascade. I don't think we have to worry about little ole' Lincoln County. Or is that Licking County!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I like it. Watching the band is like watching pro wresteling. You kind of know what's happening. Good Comment!

I'm sorry. No matter how many times I read it I can't help it /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Band like professional wrestling. I understand the comparsion that is being attempted but the two are lightyears apart aside from the fact they both entertain.

I understand where you are coming from and compared to football I wouldnt consider marching band a sport either. You made alot of good points. No, most band members couldnt take all the hits and stuff that goes on in a football game but not all sports require that much physical contact. I mean look at lets say tennis..... that is a sport and they wouldnt be able to make it very far on a football field. I have heard of studies some people have done on DCI players and ave found that during their 7 minute show that their heart rate reaches about as high as most football players. This show a considerable amount of physical activity. No i don't know exactly where this came from but when i find it i will post it. The point i'm ultimately trying to make is that you can't just compare marching band to football. There are plenty other activities out there there that people consider a sport that are not quite as physical as football.

I understand where you are coming from and compared to football I wouldnt consider marching band a sport either. You made alot of good points. No, most band members couldnt take all the hits and stuff that goes on in a football game but not all sports require that much physical contact. I mean look at lets say tennis..... that is a sport and they wouldnt be able to make it very far on a football field. I have heard of studies some people have done on DCI players and ave found that during their 7 minute show that their heart rate reaches about as high as most football players. This show a considerable amount of physical activity. No i don't know exactly where this came from but when i find it i will post it. The point i'm ultimately trying to make is that you can't just compare marching band to football. There are plenty other activities out there there that people consider a sport that are not quite as physical as football.

I agree with all of that. That's pretty much what I was trying to say, except minus the emotion and in simpler terms. I believe the heart rate thing. I've played band too.

WOW, we're scared!!! Just to let you know I'm from Cascade. I don't think we have to worry about little ole' Lincoln County. Or is that Licking County!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

haha. Thats the funniest post I've ever seen. "little ole lincoln county" coming from a A school. look at the difference.

AAAAA LC

- A Cascade

--------

AAAA

Four A's buddy. So if by little you mean massively bigger then you would be right on! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

haha. Thats the funniest post I've ever seen. "little ole lincoln county" coming from a A school. look at the difference.

AAAAA LC

- A Cascade

--------

AAAA

Four A's buddy. So if by little you mean massively bigger then you would be right on! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

More A's just mean more population. Doesn't say anything about the football team. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Im not here to fight tonight but i thought about it an i think the band is entertainers or artiest more then athletes. come on guys meet me half way on this one. I offer a friendly hand shake.

i agree..

Im in a band.

band is to entertainers..

although we do have to have some athletes skills b/c it can SOMETIMES be a physical sport if your not in shape..

Not sayin your wrong..

im sayin your right..

More A's just mean more population. Doesn't say anything about the football team. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No, A's don't necessarily mean anything about the team, but it does reflect upon the drawing pool for players. Unless you recruit all your players, we would roll right over you and wonder what we'd stepped on on the way to the endzone. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 3 weeks later...

To me, marching band is a sport. Of course, I'm a band member and I have done two years of marching band. You have to be pretty tough at my school to stand band camp. It isn't just trudging around on a field with instruments in your hands. I don't know about other schools, but our band puts in just as much time as the football team. Heck, we even consider our football team lucky. They get cool grass to practice on...we have hot asphalt for ten hours a day (during camp). Yes, we compete. HOWEVER...a football team, after making a mistake, can always do something to counter that mistake. They get another shot at it. In band, you get one shot...one run...if you mess up..there's no fixing it and the judges will deduct points like mad. Getting hurt? Oh yes! We had a guard member fall and break her ankle. We've had a guard girl get a minor concussion because she got hit with a flag during a set where they moved really close together. When flanking, if you don't do it right, you're gonna hurt yourself. It does take some athleticism to march. If you're outta shape, marching in the summer in thick uniforms, playing for ten minutes straight will wear you out. And, if you wanna talk worse injury and toughness...my old band director marched for Alabama. She got hit in the back of the head by a trombone player, knocked her front teeth out, and had to keep playing with blood running down her face and uniform. Football teams-they get a locker room. Bands-we get the shade trees. Football team-nice bottle of gatorade. Band-little measly cup of water. Football team-uniforms that don't absorb heat(unless they're black). Bands-uniforms absorb heat. Football team-one game against one team...four hours tops...with breaks and at night. Band-one competition again up to twenty other bands...up to twelve hours...breaks...but during the day and outside on bleachers. Football team-plays to memorize. Band-usually a hundred plus drill sets to memorize plus music.

The band does a lot more than most people think. Yah, we are musicians and yah, we are considered performing arts. You might say, "The football team lifts weights." Well, the band carries around instruments and holds them up for up to fifteen mintutes straight during a performance and then sometimes, longer during practice.

So...you can say it isn't a sport...that's your opinion and I don't give a rip. but I say it's a sport and should be given more respect than it is. We take a lot of crap too. So don't say we've got it easy..at least not in Lincoln County. Our band toughs it out..rain or shine...thunder and lightening...cold and snow. You go pick up a sousaphone or baritone and march two or three miles in a parade playing in the cold with uniforms that freeze you and thin gloves and tell me it doesn't take as much as strength and agility as a football player. If you sau it doesn't, you're doing something wrong.

There you go. Have a nice day and Merry Christmas.

And before I forget...football players should take it easy on band members. Look at band members stats. Most are more successful than football players.