Is the marching band a sport

KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

How often does some one get hurt in band maybe a couple each year but nothing to bad for the most part? Football players get hurt every game! What makes the band a sport an not a performance? Everyone ask what kind of SHOW are you doing this year not what kind of PLAY are you doing am i right?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter when people get hurt in a sport. People don't play to get hurt or hurt other people. People play a sport for competition and to win by scoring points. This requires some sort of athletic or generally a strenuous activity to achieve to score points and band doesn't do that. Band requires playing notes and being in sync with one another while playing an instrument. It is a performing art, not a sport. It doesn't require athletic ability, therefore it's not a sport, because athletes play sports. Band requires musical talent and practice. It's not taking anything away from band by saying not a sport. It's an important part of athletic and high school events.

It doesn't matter when people get hurt in a sport. People don't play to get hurt or hurt other people. People play a sport for competition and to win by scoring points. This requires some sort of athletic or generally a strenuous activity to achieve to score points and band doesn't do that. Band requires playing notes and being in sync with one another while playing an instrument. It is a performing art, not a sport. It doesn't require athletic ability, therefore it's not a sport, because athletes play sports. Band requires musical talent and practice. It's not taking anything away from band by saying not a sport. It's an important part of athletic and high school events.

Where to begin? There is a lack of knowledge in the statements above which is not varybarry fault. I realize that this is a forum for opinions but I will state some facts. Marching Band is a competition. You don't compete against one band, you compete against up to 20 or 30 according to the competition size. Not all bands compete. Those bands may not have a strenuous activity level ( like blackman, they don't compete only sit in the stands and play).

I could probably talk all day about this subject. I have had 3 children participate in competitive marching band in the Boro. I have watched them practice for 6 hours straight before competeing. I've taken them to practice at 6:30 in the morning only to practice all day before jumping on a bus for 2 hours, then go compete for several hours. All this practicing was on pavement. Several afternoons during the two week band camp, it would be so hot that we literally cooked an egg on the parking lot. Pavement temp. was up 120 degrees. This year, I watched the band practice non stop only to see the football team take 3 breaks during that time. (it was near 100). That was before all outdoor activity was made to stop in Rutherford County. I've seen broken arms, torn ACL (fast, quick turns while marching), broken noses, sprained ankles and wrists. I have added the hours up during the 2 week band camp. The band practiced more than the football team during their camp. All that hard work is decided by some judge's opinion. Too bad football isn't score that way. Then Siegel may win by some sort of "style" points given by a referee based on his opinion. I would like to see some of these so called athletes run down the field backwards on their tip toes carrying a huge tuba while trying to hit their spots in 10 counts. And if they don't, they could possibly hurt someone by being in the wrong spot. Also, it could cause the judges to score them so low that (the entire band of 160 kids) they lose. It takes endurance, skill, talent and phsyical skills to compete.You also have to be very coordinated because while doing all the things I mentioned above you also have to play thousands and thousands of notes on your instrument ( your hands and fingers flying over the intruments) Hands and feet going opposite directions. REAL marching bands - How can you not call it a sport?

Where to begin? There is a lack of knowledge in the statements above which is not varybarry fault. I realize that this is a forum for opinions but I will state some facts. Marching Band is a competition. You don't compete against one band, you compete against up to 20 or 30 according to the competition size. Not all bands compete. Those bands may not have a strenuous activity level ( like blackman, they don't compete only sit in the stands and play).

I could probably talk all day about this subject. I have had 3 children participate in competitive marching band in the Boro. I have watched them practice for 6 hours straight before competeing. I've taken them to practice at 6:30 in the morning only to practice all day before jumping on a bus for 2 hours, then go compete for several hours. All this practicing was on pavement. Several afternoons during the two week band camp, it would be so hot that we literally cooked an egg on the parking lot. Pavement temp. was up 120 degrees. This year, I watched the band practice non stop only to see the football team take 3 breaks during that time. (it was near 100). That was before all outdoor activity was made to stop in Rutherford County. I've seen broken arms, torn ACL (fast, quick turns while marching), broken noses, sprained ankles and wrists. I have added the hours up during the 2 week band camp. The band practiced more than the football team during their camp. All that hard work is decided by some judge's opinion. Too bad football isn't score that way. Then Siegel may win by some sort of "style" points given by a referee based on his opinion. I would like to see some of these so called athletes run down the field backwards on their tip toes carrying a huge tuba while trying to hit their spots in 10 counts. And if they don't, they could possibly hurt someone by being in the wrong spot. Also, it could cause the judges to score them so low that (the entire band of 160 kids) they lose. It takes endurance, skill, talent and phsyical skills to compete.You also have to be very coordinated because while doing all the things I mentioned above you also have to play thousands and thousands of notes on your instrument ( your hands and fingers flying over the intruments) Hands and feet going opposite directions. REAL marching bands - How can you not call it a sport?

its easy to say bands not a sport watch............ BAND IS NOT A SPORT! you should try it. have you played football on a high school level? If so then you will under stand that practicing in 100+ weather is like night an day compared to the band, an it is a full contact practice, you guys practice in shorts an shirts an the guys even get to take off there shirts, In football practice you are in thick pants with pads 10 pound shoulder pads an a 5 pound helmet all that does is trap the heat in so what may feel like 100 is more like 130 if not more to a football player. BAND IS NOT A SPORT IT IS ENTERTAINMENT OR AN ART. Verybarry had what i think the best post yet, he gave the band props an you still get mad.

As I have stated, in any competition, sport or not, the outcome should NEVER EVER be determined by anyone's opinion. It's pityful way to decide a winner.

Now, I think it's important to understand that I personally have absolutley nothing against band competitions nor do I dislike or disrespect the work that goes into them. Marching Bands, as we understand them, have their genisis in halftime performances in at football games. The first modern halftimw show performed by any marching band was by the University of Illinois marching band in 1907 in a game against the University of Chicago. The practice was, of course, later adopted in secondary schools. In 1972 Drum Corp International was founded which was the beginning of this idea of bands competing amongst themselves. It's largly thanks to DCI that band competitions enjoy the popularity that they do among it's target audience. This has reached such a degree that even ESPN2 has picked up the rights to air the DCI championships ( which have already been held....it will be a delayed broadcast). These guys aren't stupid. They recognize a money making market( DCI's market being performing arts students and their famlies) Why else would they air a poker game for crying out loud. It's all about the money and DCI is expanding and making money.

This all said, there is just something to me that's fundamentally wrong about calling a band competition a sport in the same realm as what most consider a sport. It just doesn't seem to fit. Even with ESPN picking up DCI ( which is pretty much the professional level ) I just simply cannot call something that began as halftime entertainment for a sport. Now, what IS becoming is very popular and that's all that really matters. I have respect for what ya;ll do. My sister was in the color guard for 3 years at Bartlett and has marched with the DCI corp , The Colts, for the past 2 years. I know what they go through and how hard they work. I'm not just some uninformed hack who doesn't care for bands. I do and football, and basketball for that matter, wouldn't be the same without them.( Germantown's band played the theme from " Back to the Future" at our game against them tonight.....that was fantastic) All things considered, it's reaching a point of popularity to where perception may become reality as it were but even so, I just simply cannot place it in the realm of sports. I'm not trying to make anybody angry here.....I just can't. In the end, it's just my opinion. We all have one and people will enjoy what they enjoy. That's why I say even though many don't consider it a sport doesn't change it's popularity. It doesn't have to be one to be popular and beloved by those who choose to.

its easy to say bands not a sport watch............ BAND IS NOT A SPORT! you should try it. have you played football on a high school level? If so then you will under stand that practicing in 100+ weather is like night an day compared to the band, an it is a full contact practice, you guys practice in shorts an shirts an the guys even get to take off there shirts, In football practice you are in thick pants with pads 10 pound shoulder pads an a 5 pound helmet all that does is trap the heat in so what may feel like 100 is more like 130 if not more to a football player. BAND IS NOT A SPORT IT IS ENTERTAINMENT OR AN ART. Verybarry had what i think the best post yet, he gave the band props an you still get mad.

Never said I was mad. And your right varybarry did give props for band. It was you that said the ugly disrespectful things. Thank you for correcting me and by the way I did play football in high school. I know personally what 3 of my children go through in band.

As I have stated, in any competition, sport or not, the outcome should NEVER EVER be determined by anyone's opinion. It's pityful way to decide a winner.

Now, I think it's important to understand that I personally have absolutley nothing against band competitions nor do I dislike or disrespect the work that goes into them. Marching Bands, as we understand them, have their genisis in halftime performances in at football games. The first modern halftimw show performed by any marching band was by the University of Illinois marching band in 1907 in a game against the University of Chicago. The practice was, of course, later adopted in secondary schools. In 1972 Drum Corp International was founded which was the beginning of this idea of bands competing amongst themselves. It's largly thanks to DCI that band competitions enjoy the popularity that they do among it's target audience. This has reached such a degree that even ESPN2 has picked up the rights to air the DCI championships ( which have already been held....it will be a delayed broadcast). These guys aren't stupid. They recognize a money making market( DCI's market being performing arts students and their famlies) Why else would they air a poker game for crying out loud. It's all about the money and DCI is expanding and making money.

This all said, there is just something to me that's fundamentally wrong about calling a band competition a sport in the same realm as what most consider a sport. It just doesn't seem to fit. Even with ESPN picking up DCI ( which is pretty much the professional level ) I just simply cannot call something that began as halftime entertainment for a sport. Now, what IS becoming is very popular and that's all that really matters. I have respect for what ya;ll do. My sister was in the color guard for 3 years at Bartlett and has marched with the DCI corp , The Colts, for the past 2 years. I know what they go through and how hard they work. I'm not just some uninformed hack who doesn't care for bands. I do and football, and basketball for that matter, wouldn't be the same without them.( Germantown's band played the theme from " Back to the Future" at our game against them tonight.....that was fantastic) All things considered, it's reaching a point of popularity to where perception may become reality as it were but even so, I just simply cannot place it in the realm of sports. I'm not trying to make anybody angry here.....I just can't. In the end, it's just my opinion. We all have one and people will enjoy what they enjoy. That's why I say even though many don't consider it a sport doesn't change it's popularity. It doesn't have to be one to be popular and beloved by those who choose to.

Once again, I was never mad at anything you posted. Only to those that show disrespect to students that are so talented and work so hard. Our high school students need to be brought up not torn down all the time. Congrats to your sister. It is an honor to be a part of DCI.

Here we go.

sport (sp??rt, sprt)

n.

a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

3. An active pastime; recreation.

Band is exactly all of those.

I absolutely agree with you. For the subsequent posters who don't think the definition fits - you have never seen regional marching band competitions. While the marchers don't have to have higher physical strength that a football player has, I doubt that many football players could blow on an instrument and march at the speeds that many of these excellent regional performers do without going through the training with them. It's a different type of physical strength, coordination, and musical ability. Think about it. A band in near constant motion for 8-10 minutes, playing music that sounds great, being almost perfectly in the proper place at exactly the right time. And yes, occasionally run over a judge that out there on the field in your way and not break your instrument or fall down.

Look at all the definitions of the word sport(s) and they are basically the same. Band is just another form of sport.

i think MARCHING band is a sport just as football,soccer,baseball,ect. is. i am not saying that the others are not as hard i am just saying that we work just as hard as every one else and we are called an ART!!!!!! i could see that if we were talking about concert band but MARCHING band! we get hurt we sweat we have to remember our spots on the feild plus memorising music and holding out phrases ,which takes a whole lot off breath, and remembering if we are sposed to march backwards fowards sideways. dont let the image from movies and such fool you into thinking we dont work hard WE DO!!!!!!!!