UT 2007 Season in Question

ERA

There is nothing to gain and everything to lose playing S. Miss. The Cal game was enough for schedule strength. Southern Miss is a tough team, I hope we don't end up with an 0-3 start.

Sounds like another is having doubts about the UT season. You're not alone. I listened to 560 am Monday and all day Tuesday. You would not believe the amount of calls that were, as the radio announcers say, "jumping off the cliff". Phone call after phone call was wanting Fulmer's head. Though they were mad at the defense "vanilla" was what they were calling it, their fury was directed straight towards Fulmer. They said there was no excuse and that the offensive package was sound and I quote... " for a college offense of the 1980's". The rapid fire and pace of Cal and many other teams they mentioned is in the present day form of a pro offensive package. They are pleased with Cutcliffe, but mad that Fulmer didn't have a break-away receiver for our quarterback. All the passes were mostly less than twenty yards. Most callers believed as the announcers that Coker coming back would help "a little" because they thought Arian Foster did a great job. Coker would essentially give Foster a rest to do his real job without much gain in the running back position except with a greater chance of Coker breaking for a big one. If he gets loose, he has the speed to outrun but his bigger problem has been the line not giving him the holes.

The above is what I heard on the radio. It does back up my stance on the status of UT football but sometimes, as we all know, the panic button can make things turn around. In this case, the panic button must have been pressed. Now all we can do is wait and hope for better results or start taking polls on who's going to be the new head coach? My money is on Fulmer pulling it out by a belly button

UT 0-1 could be 0-3...more>>>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea teams like them and La Tech, South FL, etc have enough talent to beat you if you play down to their level

Well, Southern Miss is the best team in Mississippi!

In all seriousness, Tennessee should win Saturday by 2 TDs. It's not going to be a blowout, but Tennessee should win. However, the SEC schedule scares me because of the D-line. Other than that, I was overall pleased at Cal, but I don't care, I seriously doubt that they will have the best O-line we will face this year. It may be the best QB, but not the best line.

I will make one prediction. You will see the 3-4 come out against Florida. Partly because it puts the best players on the field at LB, and partly because it will give them something they have not seen. Will it work? I have no idea, but I think it will come out against the Gators.

I said it early and I will say it again. This team will either go 10-2 (no way they can run the table in the SEC) or 6-6. If they go 6-6 or somehow win the SEC, I think Fulmer will leave.

Well, Southern Miss is the best team in Mississippi!

In all seriousness, Tennessee should win Saturday by 2 TDs. It's not going to be a blowout, but Tennessee should win. However, the SEC schedule scares me because of the D-line. Other than that, I was overall pleased at Cal, but I don't care, I seriously doubt that they will have the best O-line we will face this year. It may be the best QB, but not the best line.

I will make one prediction. You will see the 3-4 come out against Florida. Partly because it puts the best players on the field at LB, and partly because it will give them something they have not seen. Will it work? I have no idea, but I think it will come out against the Gators.

I said it early and I will say it again. This team will either go 10-2 (no way they can run the table in the SEC) or 6-6. If they go 6-6 or somehow win the SEC, I think Fulmer will leave.

That is true but even the lesser teams like Ole Pi$$ and State can give you a scare

Our D-line is our weakness too. It will take a couple of years of recruiting to get it back where it should be. Depth at LB is also an issue. Our O-line could end up as one of the best in the SEC by next year if not this one

That is true but even the lesser teams like Ole Pi$$ and State can give you a scare

Our D-line is our weakness too. It will take a couple of years of recruiting to get it back where it should be. Depth at LB is also an issue. Our O-line could end up as one of the best in the SEC by next year if not this one

Actually I've got a steak dinner bet with one of my closest friends that if UT goes into Starkville on Oct 13 with a losing record (entirely possible), that State will pull off the upset.

Actually I've got a steak dinner bet with one of my closest friends that if UT goes into Starkville on Oct 13 with a losing record (entirely possible), that State will pull off the upset.

Steak dinners are what got us here in the first place. It seems the UT coaching staff is more content enjoying filets in Knoxville than going out recruiting or trying to expand our offensive or defensive schemes. I appreciate what Fulmer has done up on the hill, but I don't see the fire in his belly (no pun intended) anymore. The offense is tired and so predictable even my wife knows what they are going to do. The defense looks the same every year- great on 1st and 2nd down then give up a third and long play- every stinkin time! Forgive me saying this, but we need somebody hungry in that spot.

Tennessee was right in the middle of a snake pit last weekend....Cal spent all summer focusing on the UT game and they had their fans in a frenzy...It would have been tough for anyone to go into that place and win.....With as well as Cal played and jumped on Tennessee,the Vols never quit and even had a shot there when they cut the lead to 38-31 and had the ball and the momentum...UT's offense is going to score the surprise is where has Chavis' defense gone the last two years....They gotta get that taken care of....UT will win tonite and be 1-1..Then bring on the Gators...If ya scared say ya scared....If you are Vol then be a Vol and quit whining.....The Vols will be fine....

Tennessee was right in the middle of a snake pit last weekend....Cal spent all summer focusing on the UT game and they had their fans in a frenzy...It would have been tough for anyone to go into that place and win.....With as well as Cal played and jumped on Tennessee,the Vols never quit and even had a shot there when they cut the lead to 38-31 and had the ball and the momentum...UT's offense is going to score the surprise is where has Chavis' defense gone the last two years....They gotta get that taken care of....UT will win tonite and be 1-1..Then bring on the Gators...If ya scared say ya scared....If you are Vol then be a Vol and quit whining.....The Vols will be fine....

This is a debate about Tennessee, not a "Who's scared?" thread. That's a childish analogy to say the least. Debate, calling out whining or scared is what my six year old would have said....good grief!

Yes, you have a FEW good players. Not a championship contending team. If you are content with average or a non contender, we have nothing in common. I don't settle for anything less, average is not acceptable to me. If I can't contend to the championship game or at least have a shot, I'm not satisfied, nor are most of the UT faithful. All you have to do is look at the track record. It speaks for itself. I like Phil. I think he is a good guy, just not the coach he once was nor the recruiter that he used to be. The recruit sites give him near top billing but either the billing is wrong or he can't coach them up to expectations....you make the call.... I know what the answer is.

This is one of the best posts on this thread. I agree 100%. I have always been a Phil supporter, along with the rest of the staff. The last seven years has had it's ups and downs, and as a UT faithful, I have learned to accept that somewhat in hopes that after a couple of years, we would get things back on track and continue with our winning ways. Well, those couple of years was up a long time ago, and the last several years I have defended them to the highest degree when all other UT fans was criticizing. It just hit me over the top of the head the other day. I am done. One season to the next, nothing changes. The defense particularly has not been UT defense in a long time, and there is always an excuse. BS. I was all so high on Chavis, not anymore. It was embarrassing to watch that display of tackling, and we have top notch athletes on the field. They are not being disciplined or coached up and it is obvious, and they haven't been for a long time. It will take time for those of you who are still settling, but you will soon see for yourself. It's time for a lot of changes and with his big $1,000,000 donation that he made prior to the season starting will keep him there for a while.

Just asking a question. Are you comparing UT with SC? Are you saying that UT can't bring the personnel in that Florida can while saying UT is on the level of a SC? You're statement says you are and THAT is exactly what I'm talking about.

No...compared UF with SC...as in my original quote that just because he won consistently at Florida doesn't mean he'll win consistenly at SC. No mention of UT in that quote at all...

If you want to try to put words in my mouth at least have a clue of what I said to begin with.

And it's YOUR (possessive) this time not YOU'RE (contraction of You are)...how your brain came up with that out of what I posted, e.g. my statement, is beyond comprehension.

Hey, forget everything I said earlier. I can see now. Everything appears to be just fine. Wow, I didn't realize the truth could be so clear. Yes...... yes, Fulmer is..... Fulmer is...... GOD! I can't believe that I once was a non-believer. It's so clear to me now. Aguiello, KEVB and Stan Trott are the arch angels of Fulmer. Kinda like the three Amigos' of Tennessee football. You know you're right when you have them on your side.

I'm humbled

You know...it's jerks like you that make me less apt to continue posting on this site. This site USED to be fairly civil when it came to posting opinions and making observations. We all could agree to disagree or come to some sort of closure on a topic where there are varying opinions.

In my honest opinion, Fulmer deserves the right to say when he wants to leave whenver that is...not the Haslams, not any booster, not any group of halfwit "fans" but he alone has that right. There are worse things in the world right now, like being Notre Dame with their "savior" of a coach and their new golden boy QB or Michigan and their entire state of disarray.

With the exception of 2 plays, Tennessee is in good shape for this season. All of your the sky is falling mentality is laughable and I would not be shocked to see the Vols go to Florida and get a win...because beating Western KY and Troy doesn't give mean the Gators have what it takes to win the East.

I still want to see more improvement on defense, but I'm not too worried about how the offense will perform.

ERA, you're what's known as a wolf. I know lots of you guys from the previous years after the 1998 NC. To say you guys are on the same level as Kentucky basketball fans who are never satisfied is an understatement. It's part of what goes with the territory of being a college sports fan...you've got passionate fans who live and die by the week for their team and just want to see a good product out there regularly and the wolves who will pick gnat droppings out of pepper just to find something wrong ever week.