Athletic Period or Not

coachinhoops

The way I see it is this:

If a child has interest and talent in band they can take many band courses throughout their high school career.

If a child has interest and talent in singing, they can take many vocal courses throughout their high school career.

If a child has interest and talent in welding, they can take many welding courses throughout their high school career.

If a child has interest and talent in auto mechanics, they can take many auto mechanics courses throughout their high school career.

ETC...

Therefore, if my child has an interest and talent in athletics, they should be able take many athletic courses throughout their high school career. It is an easy argument to make regarding the life lessons learned in athletics are great.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This summer I had the opportunity to visit Harvard Football. Coach Murphy told us that every year they try to invite as many faculty as possible to attend practice. Almost all are surprised at the complexity of the assignments on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

I know that many of the PhDs who visit practice can read music but according to the coach, most will admit they have no idea how to determine the blocking responsibility of the right guard, in an even front, when the mike LB walks up into the A gap. On defense, if they run 5 coverages out of five fronts, every player needs to know his responsibility x 25. These kids may not need to know how to read music but, the tuba player follows the other tuba player, follows the other tuba player, follows....

I get tired of people who have kids in music or drama acting as though their kids are working to excel at something more worthwhile or important than sports. Clearly if you are talking about giving PE credit, only a fool would contend that band is more "physical" than football

Last time I looked a college could give a scholarship for band, singing, or chorus. Athelete's get scholarships for playing sports. But there grades don't come from getting credit for a PE class that they don't even take.

Is a PE grade even figured into a kid's grades for college? I have heard that you have to go thru some search process to be qualified for a scholarship.

Some people might consider the ability to read a strong safety blitz as a fine art. Of course reading this incorrectly has more consequences than confusing a quarter note for a whole note. I also believe that everything an athletic team does is centered around a 'performance.' The difference is that at an athletic team's performance, a real score is kept and not some feel good ranking of "good, superior, or excellent."

Amen. At my son's school athletes only receive 1 credit for football. If they play basketball also they get 1 credit. They are required to be in 4th block football but graduate with less credits than non-football or basketball players. Band gets 8 credits. Band members might be reading and playing music, but football players are watching game film, memorizing their opponents offense and defense. They do this every week for every team they play. I wish more parents in our school system would be as offended by this as I am.

I am a firm believer that athletic period is extremely important and very benificial to student athletes. It allows them to earn PE credits for participation in high school athletics. I also understand that there are alot of people that oppose it. What does everyone think about it?

It would seem logical to me that in this time of so much obesity, that our school systems would take some intiative and have a PE period of some sort everyday, for every student. Teach kids how to be active and how to take care of their bodies. After a basic level of PE, the classes could branch out into more focused classes, such as aerobics, weight lifting, classes that teach good eating and workout routines, etc.

The student atheletes could be allowed the option of taking PE classes that are designed with their particular sport in mind, to enhance their conditioning and developing game skills. That would work towards educating the athelets plus the additional conditioning would help prevent injuries.

The increased physical activity the students experience, particularly if they could get these workouts in the mornings, would also help students be more alert in their academic classes, promoting better grades. And as the students feel better physically, they will feel better about themselves. This would help them want to do better in other areas of their lives.

Some people might consider the ability to read a strong safety blitz as a fine art. Of course reading this incorrectly has more consequences than confusing a quarter note for a whole note. I also believe that everything an athletic team does is centered around a 'performance.' The difference is that at an athletic team's performance, a real score is kept and not some feel good ranking of "good, superior, or excellent."

I wasn't going to get into this, but..........

And I'll preface this by saying I am the parent of a current Senior band member and a former, varsity football and baseball player. I was always the loudest one criticizing band, but......

Some people might consider the ability to read a strong safety blitz as a fine art. Of course reading this incorrectly has more consequences than confusing a quarter note for a whole note.

Wow, that ability will translate later in life. And what are the dire consequences of misreading the blitz? A sack?

I also believe that everything an athletic team does is centered around a 'performance.'

Really? Every single person in the band must perform. Can the same be said for every single football player?

The difference is that at an athletic team's performance, a real score is kept and not some feel good ranking of "good, superior, or excellent."

Real score? In some cases, it might be better if a football team did get a "feel good" ranking rather than going 0-10 for the season. Good, Superior or Excellent? Those all sound like performance grades to me.

Lastly, like I said, I used to be the big "...the bands don't do this or that" guy. Trust me, if all, and I mean all, athletic teams worked and practiced as must as the bands do, they would be much, much better.

JMHO

And I'll preface this by saying I am the parent of a current Senior band member and a former, varsity football and baseball player. I was always the loudest one criticizing band, but......

Wow, that ability will translate later in life. And what are the dire consequences of misreading the blitz? A sack?

Really? Every single person in the band must perform. Can the same be said for every single football player?

Real score? In some cases, it might be better if a football team did get a "feel good" ranking rather than going 0-10 for the season. Good, Superior or Excellent? Those all sound like performance grades to me.

Lastly, like I said, I used to be the big "...the bands don't do this or that" guy. Trust me, if all, and I mean all, athletic teams worked and practiced as must as the bands do, they would be much, much better.

JMHO

You might think misreading a sack does not have dire consequences, but it could. With the sack that you think is no big deal could also come a season or career ending injury. I would say that would be a dire consequence.

JMHO

I echo your thoughts 100%. I was an athlete and a band member in both high school and college, and if all athletic teams worked/practiced as hard as the bands did, they really would be better. I'm not saying that all bands work harder than all sports teams, I'm just saying that it does happen in some cases. I'm not going to sit here and say that sports doesn't have a valuable place in a young person's life. Team sports offer a lot of valuable benefits for individuals - work-ethic, team work skills, individual and team dedication, etc. Music and sports really aren't that different in some ways. However, as an intellectual, music offers something that sports never will - reading a defense won't earn you a college degree, but reading sheet music can earn you a degree. I personally think that offering an athletic period is a convenient excuse for students who don't want to take a fine art or other elective (so instead they get PE credit), which is exactly what many students do when they enroll in PE rather than something academic. Again, as a former athlete, I fully support and back sports programs, but I think that academics and broadening a students horizons are more important in the long run.

I echo your thoughts 100%. I was an athlete and a band member in both high school and college, and if all athletic teams worked/practiced as hard as the bands did, they really would be better. I'm not saying that all bands work harder than all sports teams, I'm just saying that it does happen in some cases. I'm not going to sit here and say that sports doesn't have a valuable place in a young person's life. Team sports offer a lot of valuable benefits for individuals - work-ethic, team work skills, individual and team dedication, etc. Music and sports really aren't that different in some ways. However, as an intellectual, music offers something that sports never will - reading a defense won't earn you a college degree, but reading sheet music can earn you a degree. I personally think that offering an athletic period is a convenient excuse for students who don't want to take a fine art or other elective (so instead they get PE credit), which is exactly what many students do when they enroll in PE rather than something academic. Again, as a former athlete, I fully support and back sports programs, but I think that academics and broadening a students horizons are more important in the long run.

[/quot

In my son's school they still have to take a fine art, PE as a 9th grader and are required to enroll in 4th block football or basketball if they play those sports. It is not a choice. I just think it is not fair that it is required of the players and they cannot receive credit for each semester that they have to be in that class. I have nothing against the band. My husband was one the few from his high school band that got to go to college because of band. Just like one of the few football players that get to go to college because of football or basketball.

Band members have to take band classes to be in the band. Football players and basketball players have to take 4th block football or basketball. I am just saying that they all should receive the same amount of credit.

Actually, I think you can get a degree in P.E. Why don't you check out the grades of those intellectual band members, I bet in a lot of cases your athletic teams have better collective GPA's than your band.

Actually, I think you can get a degree in P.E. Why don't you check out the grades of those intellectual band members, I bet in a lot of cases your athletic teams have better collective GPA's than your band.

I completely disagree with that statement. I don't know what high school/college you went to, but that was definitely not true in my experience. But again, that might be different in other schools. It also depends on the sport and the class schedules of these kids, but that's a whole other animal.

You might think misreading a sack does not have dire consequences, but it could. With the sack that you think is no big deal could also come a season or career ending injury. I would say that would be a dire consequence.

I guess I'll just, in a very humble manner, disagree with you here.

Misreading ANYTHING, could have dire consequences. A season ending or career ending injury? So what. So your HIGH SCHOOL season or career might be over. That is a very, very small part of your life, you normally recover and it is highly doubtful the athlete would have gone any farther that high school anyway.

And lastly, I agree, the athletes should be given credit for football, basketball, baseball, etc.