Athletic Period or Not

coachinhoops

Last time I looked a college could give a scholarship for band, singing, or chorus. Athelete's get scholarships for playing sports. But there grades don't come from getting credit for a PE class that they don't even take.

Is a PE grade even figured into a kid's grades for college? I have heard that you have to go thru some search process to be qualified for a scholarship.

Band, chorus, and singing are not considered core classes either! Some scholarships (and colleges) look at only core classes (english, math, history, science) and some include all classes when looking a students GPA. Once again PE is an acedemic class that is required to graduate, just like a fine art (generally music or art). If you can take more than one fine art (remember only one is required) then why can't you take more than one PE. If your fine art can be specific (band) then your PE should be specific (football, basketball, etc.). I think it is unfair that we label athletes as bad students, last time I checked you have to be acedemically eligible for H.S. athletics but not for the band.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it should be allowed as an elective for schools but not to replace wellness. State requirements mandate that all students pass the course life time wellness which is a combination of both health and physical education.

As elective for athletes I think that it is a great idea, it would cut down a lot of headaches for coaches and players who do have to stay late. There are many concerns about obesity in the state, so it is important to have wellness to teach about the lifetime pursuit of a healthy lifestyle. With the new requirement of 90 minutes of physical activity per week it is also a scenerio to help improve obesity in the youth (Which is a joke, the way it was written, but that's a whole other story.).

There shouldn't be less weight placed on PE courses than others and yes there is such a thing as homework in PE, teachers can't just sit there and roll out a ball anymore, there are to many things to be held accountable for anymore.

Of course this is coming from someone who was at one time a HS coach and PE teacher and is now at U of South Carolina getting a Ph.D. in Physical Education Pedagogy.

Just my opinion.