Dobyns Bennett v. Oak Ridge

srupley

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Plowboy2 and srupley, AMEN. Read my post from earlier today.

Comments from last night's game

Excellent post from the KB-DB thread!

I think the D-B coaching staff is the best in East Tennessee and normally a real difference maker. Unfortunately, talent matters and D-B is simply going through a down cycle in talent. As I have said before, last year was their most talented team in recent history and their best chance for a state title run in the past or near future. Based on recent performance of the two feeder Middle Schools, the type of performance you have seen so far this year will continue for a few years. Also, the schedule is tough and going to get tougher. D-B cannot pad their W-L record with South, North, Central, etc. Elizabethton and THS will likely not renew after the '08 schedule cycle is over. This will likely mean longer travel and more home and home series against good teams. After all, bad teams don't travel.

Before everyone panics for the OR game, please recall the epic performance by an undermanned D-B team against OR a few years ago and their Alabama bound tailback, Chris (?) Bohanan. D-B played lights out and upset the Ridgers. It can happen again.

If Graham Clark doesn't appoint an offensive coordinator to do the routine play calling, I don't expect much in the way of a scoring game. It looks like he has admitted finally, on Tricities Sports that he's not on the top of his game either - play calling that is. He needs to act on this now, not next year. In fact, it's more likely that we will see an interception and a defensive touch down than a bonified td by the offense. Even our kicking game has been weak - which is something new for DB. In previous years, even with a weak offense, we could count on the defense AND a good kicking game. Not this year. Just a 1st class defense this year. So will our defense be able to stall Oak Ridge's offense? I duno, but I doubt it. OR always finds a way if they're not having the problems they had last year. Sounds like they are strong on all fronts this year. We'll see Friday. I have to admit, it is hard to get excited about this game this year.

I have a question, why does OR Football have such a nice up to date web site? Somebody does a really nice job there.

http://www.oakridgefootball.net/

DB's site on the other hand is last year's for crying out loud:

http://www.k12k.com/db/athletics/football/index.htm

2006 schedule and team. Nobody cares or what? Somebody needs to shut it down. That's better than keeping last year's online. Am I sensing an consistent undertone here?

On the brighter side, what's for dinner Friday night at the tail gate?

www.OoltewahFootball.com

Oak Ridge, Farragut, Soddy Daisy and Ooltewah all have great football websites....

That is the old website.Here is a link to the new website for all the sports.http://kcs.k12k.com/index.pl?id=7646DB will roll! I will be in the student section rooting my school on to a win!Roll Tribe!

It's still pretty weak. Take a look at post #29 and cruise through a few of the links to Ooltewah, Soddy-Daisy, etc. DB has a ton of football history that many schools would like to boast and they need to sell and promote that. There's no excuse to not have a top notch website in this day and age that includes historical records and stats and promotes the players/games/coaches/teams that have been a part of 690+ wins. You can't brag about being the "winningest program in Tennessee" and then lay an egg on the website while programs that go 1-9 (SD) are trumping ya on there site. JMO

www.OoltewahFootball.comOak Ridge, Farragut, Soddy Daisy and Ooltewah all have great football websites....

Great looking website as always

I think Kirkpatrick is back at full capacity, hopefully he stays that way. My take on Irby, that's a tough one. He throws such a gorgeous football in practice and warming up, but appears to "squeeze" it too much in games, causing some floaters and ducks. He hasn't done anything wrong, as of yet, but great defenses are coming up (like Friday) and I hope he can gain the confidence and throw the ball how we all know he can.

No doubt, Oak Ridge will need a passing game and they have the weapons at receiver to have an effective one. Daniels Mulholland is going to be a real factor down the road, in that controlled passing game you talk about ... he and big ol Josh Gregory who has made tremendous strides since the pre-season.

Thanks for the corrections. No program handy and I wasn't sure of player names' spelling... I attended all of the preseason scrimmages (Maryville, Alcoa, and the multi team in Cookeville) but was unable to attend the Bradley game. Did Irby look any more in sync with the receivers? Having not seen the 7 on 7 competition I have been really surprised that Irby is not clicking. He obviously has tremendous talent if he can get better control. Do you think Irby is in a slump, or what is your take on it?

Clark's "package" appears to be more ball control oriented and quite effective. Reminds me more of OR's high percentage passing game of the past. Daniels Mullholland (TE # 43 I believe) is a tough, sure handed end that is not afraid to go over the middle, and should be a factor with both QB's.

Tank, did Kirkpatrick(FB / LB) look like he is back at full capacity or still recovering, and what is your take on Irby?

It's still pretty weak. Take a look at post #29 and cruise through a few of the links to Ooltewah, Soddy-Daisy, etc. DB has a ton of football history that many schools would like to boast and they need to sell and promote that. There's no excuse to not have a top notch website in this day and age that includes historical records and stats and promotes the players/games/coaches/teams that have been a part of 690+ wins. You can't brag about being the "winningest program in Tennessee" and then lay an egg on the website while programs that go 1-9 (SD) are trumping ya on there site. JMOGreat looking website as always

AMEN. Perhaps someone on the Quarterback club would take this on.

Ryan is a super coach and a great guy.I hope that one of these days when GC has had a good career,we would be so lucky to get Ryan as our head coach.Your not going to find a better man for our kids to play under. I've done seen that on a first hand note. I just hope the old general stays a few more years on defense, and doesn't get to down with the hard times.

I bet RW replaces Ritz.

Irby is a great kid with a great arm but for some reason he can't ssem to throught the fade route in a game. I would take #7 Tyler clark at quaterback this week, he throws the ball well and has a soft touch for the fade route and crossing patterns. This is always a close game and rivalry, usually comiing down to the last minutes of the game. DB steps it up on both sides of the ball when they play OR and OR always keeps it close. I'm taking Oak Ridge 24-17 in this one.